Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Dumb stufff (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1128813-dumb-stufff.html)

upstate bob 02-11-2019 09:34 PM

Dumb stufff

Feel free to add to this list:
burn outs and drifting
tires with 1" sidewalls
HID headlights
car covers, especially outside but not needed inside unless birds are inside too.
add, bras
silicone based car polish. (try repainting it now)
driving a collector car on a salty road
little badges on front of old English sports cars :)

dr bob 02-11-2019 10:20 PM

Good with you except for car covers, which serve a purpose in my garage, and nose bras. I've had more than a few British (and other) sports cars with vintage local auto club rally and touring event badges on bumper brackets. It's part of the character of the car in its period.

Otherwise -- Carry on!

:)

upstate bob 02-11-2019 10:46 PM

you are much too agreeable. hehheh
forgot the quasi-mandatory ownership detail: 79 5sp, petrol blue, tan (or whateveryacallit) interior.

Speedtoys 02-12-2019 01:44 AM

Drifting aint dumb.

It's actually pretty hard, and takes a great deal of skill to be good at it.

Like any motorsport.

And Bras..repaint a car to concours quality, and drive without a bra..see how you rethink that. :)

Adk46 02-12-2019 09:19 AM

Re: car covers - the need depends on how many cats you own.

No one would take LBCs seriously without their badges, which somehow imply royalty. Among non-British cars, they're appropriate only on 356's.

worf928 02-12-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by upstate bob (Post 15632446)
Feel free to add to this list:

How’bout lists of Dumb Stuff :icon107:

burn outs and drifting
Depends on why you’re doing it. Not too many Girls are impressed by them. If anyone finds one, she’s my wife’s long-lost sister.

tires with 1" sidewalls
Maybe. Do lawnmowers count?

HID headlights
You only drive in the day now? HID lights are awesome unless you are the subject mis-adjusted HIDs. I’m told that’s what .22s are for.

car covers, especially outside but not needed inside unless birds are inside too.
Baaaaloney. Cars can get dusty indoors. Chosen correctly they will also protect or lessen damage from minor garage mishaps that might otherwise chip or scratch paint.

add, bras
Only young or small-breasted girls can do without bras. In the automotive world front-end covers have been replaced by PPF even though Venn diagrams for the two aren’t identical.

silicone based car polish. (try repainting it now)
Great for throw-away cars like a Camry. For others, I’ll bet once you’ve sanded to metal the Si is long gone.

driving a collector car on a salty road
unless it’s already been driven on salty roads. But, yeah, otherwise I agree.

little badges on front of old English sports cars :)
Why does this matter? Old English sports cars don’t run. So, they’ll be under a car cover and you won’t see any badges. :roflmao:

SeanR 02-12-2019 09:48 AM

Someone is sitting pretty high on their throne, hope there is enough oxygen for them.

Petza914 02-12-2019 10:00 AM

Only young eyes can see at night with Halogen headlights. Proper HIDs are awesome from a safety standpoint.

Outdoor car covers are occasionally needed, especially if your convertible top leaks a little.

Watching a supercharged 928 do a burnout is cool, especially if it's on the 1-2 or 2-3 or later shift. Front wheel drive burnouts are not.

Optimum Opti-Seal is all I use now. Takes 30 minutes to do the whole car and beads water for a year or longer, doesn't discolor rubber or plastic. Takes protecting the boat from a weekend job to an afternoon.

mkriete 02-12-2019 03:04 PM

Well, when I’m done painting my car petrol blue and changing out the interior to brown and tan, I will put it in the garage, under a car cover, with a bra. Stupid is as stupid does. :D

upstate bob 02-12-2019 05:39 PM

not bad so far but I was hoping for more additions to "dumb stuff". c'mon guys, be bold (and yes, yer right, my 79 rarely ventures outside. sits in an ultra dry barn, gathering dust which gets blown off on my rare drives)
Been a mechanic all my life and love the old girl for her impressively stout undersides and hair-raising jump to life when I turn the key. Don't find many 40 year old cars like it out there.

worf928 02-12-2019 06:18 PM

How ‘bout:

When your 928 is due for timing belt service you only change the timing belt.
Not regularly changing your coolant.
Only flushing the brakes when the fluid in the reservoir is dark.

dr bob 02-12-2019 08:23 PM

Why should I rotate my tires? They rotate when I drive it don't they?

worf928 02-12-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 15634830)
Why should I rotate my tires? They rotate when I drive it don't they?

Don't you periodically rotate the front tires to the rear and the rear tires to the front? We see enough ebay ads this way that surely it's the right thing to do. No?

worf928 02-12-2019 08:29 PM

The dumbest thing I've seen in the last few months was a 10mm x 1.5 pitch bolt used where an 11mm x 1.25 bolt was removed (and presumably stuck somewhere that I haven't yet found.)

It kinda works...