Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   door doesn't open (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1128714-door-doesnt-open.html)

Ghosteh 02-11-2019 11:57 AM

door doesn't open

Last summer, I had to replace the driver's door handle mechanism after it broke. Getting the door open was a bear, but somehow I eventually got it.
Well, the problem happened again; I can't open the driver's door. I don't think the latch itself is broken (again), but maybe just something misaligned or in a bind. Does anyone have any insight into the mechanics in there & what I should be looking for to get it open once more? I have no problem disassembling the assembly, but is there a good trick to open the door first, so that I don't have to perform a gymnastic routine to get inside the door?

I did remove the anti-theft shield when I replaced the door handle last summer and didn't reinstall it. I'm hoping that somehow that will make it easier to pop it open this time.

Thanks!

worf928 02-11-2019 12:07 PM

Can you not open it from the inside?

Ghosteh 02-11-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15631058)

Dhoh! :p

No, interior handle isn't working either. I'm going to try to use a snake camera and get in there & see what's going on, but it's just a little too cold ATM outside, and I've been putting it off until warmer weather.
I was just hoping someone here knew of an easy way to unlatch it with a slim-jim or something similar, and avoid trying to disassemble the latch from the inside of the door while it's closed. I'm sure this has happened to others before.

Mrmerlin 02-11-2019 04:55 PM

the usual reason the latches fail is due to lack of lubrication of the door latching unit inside the door,

NOTE the shield you removed will also reduce the amount of water that the latching unit sees thus prolonging it working with ease.
To open the door roll down the window for a better look inside the door,

NOTE you can remove the inside handle surround then the center trim panel from the door,
then cut the vapor barrier and reach inside the door to open it

76FJ55 02-12-2019 03:10 AM

Make sure it is fully unlocked, using the unlock dial. I've seen screws which holds the unlock dial over tightened, causing binding in the unlock mechanism.

worf928 02-12-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15631058)

Originally Posted by Ghosteh (Post 15631657)
Dhoh! :p

Yeah, I know: it could look like a snarky question, but the answer leads to Stan’s conclusion rather than some exposition of a solution to the wrong problem.

Mrmerlin 02-12-2019 06:57 PM

Dave we are doing our best with the information we are given,
sometimes going out on a limb could make it break off.
Other times the limb will bend without breaking.
Its really a crap shoot.
BUT as always ,
adding pictures and as much detail as possible,
will increase the chances of getting the correct advice to fix your issue.
I have never been a great mind reader though...LOL

worf928 02-12-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 15634633)
Dave we are doing our best with the information we are given,
I have never been a great mind reader though...LOL

Wha? Diagnosis over the internet without pictures? What could be easier? LOL.

NikosLee 12-14-2020 02:32 PM

Hi all, I am having the same issue after replacing the window regulator. My specifics are:
  • Passenger door US Car
  • When the door card is off, everthing works fine... when door card is on then the handles dont operate.
  • I had the door wont open issue as well and luckliy I was able to remove the door card whilst door was closed and it opened.
  • I am wondering if the torque of the xzn bolts affect this as the Pelican parts states that the se are lighltly torqued from the factory.
  • I am happy to change door latch mech as i have no lock tumbler on the passenger side.
Thoughts bedore I change the latch mech?