Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Rendezvous 928 at PCNA - June 27-29, 2019 (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1128221-rendezvous-928-at-pcna-june-27-29-2019-a.html)

RSMartin 02-08-2019 12:50 PM

Rendezvous 928 at PCNA - June 27-29, 2019

Getting to the point of all the important questions.
This is where commitments and or decisions have to be made. I've got the green light from PCNA just have to start filling in the blanks. What does the community want ?
We can get the full blown experience all the way down to a simple show up meet and greet. I am also working with Stone Mt resort , nice and comfortable , this is another option open to a full weekend event.
Now the part we all love to hear.... For a full weekend experience center accommodation etc there comes a financial commitment. For a meet and greet is just
show-n-go Time for your comments input etc..

From PCNA event coordinator,
Did they want to drive or do the simulator lab while they are here? Or just come in to see the vehicle? How many people are in the group? This will help me determine which team should be handling the request.

abrescia 02-08-2019 05:48 PM

Was this still the March dates or was it toward the end of #1’s visit like in June?

RSMartin 02-08-2019 06:02 PM

My fault I posted everything on #1 thread

Two threads started ,
This one is for a ,hopefully, large 928 gathering at PCNA headquarters in Atlanta. dates are yet to be determined but looking at may.
The Amelia Island concourse caravan is march 7th. Also using PCNA headquarters as a meeting place to caravan to Amelia Island for Werks
my apologies for the confusion

worf928 02-08-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RSMartin (Post 15624827)
This is where commitments and or decisions have to be made... What does the community want ?
We can get the full blown experience all the way down to a simple show up meet and greet ...
From PCNA event coordinator,
Did they want to drive or do the simulator lab while they are here? Or just come in to see the vehicle? How many people are in the group? This will help me determine which team should be handling the request.

I can't speak for the community and I don't know what process you have in mind for gathering a consensus. There's potentially a ton of work ahead for you and those that are willing to help. I'll thank you in advance for your efforts successful or not.

I feel kinda bad since - it seems - that my suggestion on the other thread was a catalyst for an event that it is not super-likely I'll be able to attend and since I'll be little help in 'helping.' For me, coming all the way from Boston, I'd be up for anything, but a short meet and greet would result in a low event-to-driving ratio for me. I'm also in the situation where the 'Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes.' My 928s are neglected while I'm working on other's 928s.

All that written, perhaps a 'two-stage' event might work. One 'full-experience' for a percentage of attendees and a less formal meet-and-greet (and lots of pictures) for other folks without the wherewithall for the full-experience.

RSMartin 02-08-2019 10:52 PM

Planning this event

Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta has agreed to host the event. They offer multiple levels of driving experience. From hot laps all the way up to full track day instructions course. They even have an off road course for the Cayenne ! Thier driving simulators are professional training tools. There is also a nice restaurant on site, "356 restaurant". Last but not least the auto museum where #1 is on display.
Accomodations are being arranged with Atlanta Evergreen Marriott Conference Resort that is located at Stone Mountain. Resort is approximately 30 min away from Porsche Experience Center. There will be a website link for the reservations at the Resort.
I hope this update gives a little more clarity on our progress.
My earlier description may have left a lot to the imagination.
Knowing that time constraints are everyone's worst enemy , We are trying to set this event up to accommodate most everyone's schedule. Also Each and everyone will have multiple options from a meet and greet all the way to a full blown weekend. Leaving the enjoyment leval of the meet up to each individual to decide​​​​​​

islaTurbine 02-09-2019 12:17 AM

I’m in! But I’m biased and live nearby. :thumbsup:

928 GT R 02-09-2019 07:20 PM

For those thinking about this event... The PCNA headquarters in Atlanta is a great facility. It is located on the site of the old Ford Motor companies SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) factory adjacent to Atlanta's Hartsfield airport. The facility offers everything from full on racing school level training to drivers experience classes including slalom, skidpad, Launch control area, threshold braking and the infamous "Kickplate" where you get to recover your (rented) vehicle from an induced spin. They have everything from Boxsters and Cayennes to 911 Turbo S's and GT3's for you to play with as part of your experience. The museum is on two floors and has 15-18 cars of varying significance on display most of the time. Above this on the main floor, you will find an Exclusive design center where you can custom order your car, retail shopping and usually a few of the newest color offerings and a few race cars on display.

Downstairs is the Porsche Classics restoration center run by Daniel House. There, you can arrange a rotisserie restoration of your 928 for something approximating $200,000 just to get in the door... Here is a photo of some of the things going on right now in the facility...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...dc79a52575.jpg

Needless to say, bring clothes you can throw away because of the accumulated filth of this facility. It is a disgusting place where almost nothing gets done correctly. :bowdown:

For those who want to do a hit and run and not head out to the Stone Mountain Marriott you can stay nearly on site at the Kimpton (former Solis) hotel that is virtually on site and borders the Experience centers entry gate.

Here is a view from the front door:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f480685fd4.jpg

Not sure why they have abandoned old ICE dark ages cars as the centerpiece of their garden, but there is no accounting for some peoples taste...

Then again, there are some vehicles with redeeming qualities here:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...63e0dc4e0a.png

All joking aside, this may be one of the best venues to hold a 928 event on the planet... Whatever gets put together by our advocate Mr. Martin, count on it as an opportunity not to be missed!

>

RSMartin 02-09-2019 08:20 PM

@ 928 GT R

Well said. And thank you for adding the extra details .I guess since I go there on a regular basis and have been there done that more times than I have a right to.
I sometimes forget all the wonderful details and beautiful smells of fuel and rubber while on the track. This is truly a wonderful place to visit. Don't know how but I forgot to even mention the wonderful hotel next door. All this and only a 10-15 min Uber ride from Atlanta Hartsfield.
Thanks again to my Editors you guys make it sound AWESOME !

XS29L9B 02-09-2019 10:21 PM

The incredible arrogance of the "guard" at the gate house was less than welcoming when I stopped by to check out what was at this facility. They would not allow my entry. I have no desire to ever go back, appointment, or not.

928 GT R 02-09-2019 11:49 PM

Regarding the guardhouse... It is there for a reason! There are millions of $$$'s of highly desirable vehicles on this site! Entry can be a big deal, so it is a good idea to call ahead and get on the list for a tour or even a visit. Otherwise, be prepared with an ID and a decent reason for going in. The museum tour at 11:00 or to discuss a drivers experience is good and of course, going to the 356 restaurant is a great late in the day admission excuse/ticket. Above all, be professional and patient, otherwise the authoritarian mentality becomes quite evident as X29L9B pointed out. Do not show up in a crusty car with an attitude or you are not getting in!

I have gotten to know the guards a bit and on the visit where Number 1 was unveiled - drooman and I had the run of the place and got into what we called the "Skittles" areas of the garage where all the GT3's GT3 RS's and GT2 RS's are hanging out:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9501408263.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f1fa8fe9d1.jpg

Look at all those colors!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...bf3c1accc9.jpg

Another section had the pre-delivery cars, but I'm not publishing those photos to protect the privacy of the owners.

So - go there with a "Skittles" attitude and you get to play in a car-candy bowel! Go there with an "I'm entitled to come in right now" attitude and yes, you are going to have a problem.

If this event is held, there will be a "sign up list" for smooth entry and you will be well advised to get on it for the obvious benefits to everyone on both sides of the fence.

Enjoy!

islaTurbine 02-10-2019 01:04 AM

I’ve not had an unpleasant run-in with the guard shack yet, but I’ve also been on the visitor list every time I’ve been there. PCNA is on ATL airport property so I suspect that might have something to do with the tighter security. No excuse for a dick guard, though.

worf928 02-10-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by 928 GT R (Post 15628114)
Look at all those colors!

So - go there with a "Skittles" attitude and you get to play in a car-candy bowel!

<whisper voice> Drive The Rainbow! </whisper voice?

Crumpler 02-10-2019 12:28 PM

The white OB must be on loan from the secret white collection...

worf928 02-10-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 15628797)
The white OB must be on loan from the secret white collection...

Oh?

Crumpler 02-10-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by worf928 (Post 15628826)

Oh?

Probably not :)
That strange secret collection of white cars featured in Panorama a few months ago was actually missing a 928, if memory serves.
Great example though, I would do Gran Prix white on mine If I could do it all over again.