Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Green ignition wire

 
Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 AM
  #31  
WALTSTAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
WALTSTAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 546
Default GREEN WIRE $.02

Foe economy of factory assembly, the green wire is bundled in a harness that rides right on top of the block and is susceptible to the radiant engine heat because of its proximity to the block (as a heat sink). Since you are going to replace the wire, unless you are concerned with the accuracy of the original car, I would suggest strapping that new green wire to the bottom of the cross brace so as to put some distance between it and the radiant heat of the block.
The cooling fan blows air around under the hood and will keep the wire temp down as well.
I installed mine this way as a precaution and it has not been adverse. I did get flak from another on this forum because he said I would damage the wire anytime I did work on the car, but that might have been his experience and if I was that clumsy I wouldn't own a 928 in the first place.


WALTSTAR is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 AM
  #32  
SeanR
Running up the Odo'
Rennlist Member
 
SeanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 34,481
Default

At least you didn't post this in all capital letters. This is an example of bad advise being given out. If you route the wire in this way you are putting more stress on the wire ends, where they already fail the most. Think about it. Wire strapped down to a point where it will not rotate with the engine, each and every time it is started or the throttle is being used. This is just a plain stupid thing to do.

Originally Posted by WALTSTAR View Post
Foe economy of factory assembly, the green wire is bundled in a harness that rides right on top of the block and is susceptible to the radiant engine heat because of its proximity to the block (as a heat sink). Since you are going to replace the wire, unless you are concerned with the accuracy of the original car, I would suggest strapping that new green wire to the bottom of the cross brace so as to put some distance between it and the radiant heat of the block.
The cooling fan blows air around under the hood and will keep the wire temp down as well.
I installed mine this way as a precaution and it has not been adverse. I did get flak from another on this forum because he said I would damage the wire anytime I did work on the car, but that might have been his experience and if I was that clumsy I wouldn't own a 928 in the first place.

SeanR is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 PM
  #33  
soontobered84
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
soontobered84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,959
Default

Originally Posted by Dylan_928 View Post

forgot to mention that im not a 40 year old porsche enthusiast who has a doctorate in sarcasm and automechanics. (Im a high schooler who owns a porsche)
I guess that I forgot to put a smiley face at the end of each sentence
Maybe that would have made it more palatable and sound less harsh than I meant it.
I actually meant it more in humorous vein with a bit of truth thrown in with the last line of the post
My apologies, but your comeback itself was good. It made me laugh.
soontobered84 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 PM
  #34  
Dylan_928
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 56
Default

Originally Posted by soontobered84 View Post
I guess that I forgot to put a smiley face at the end of each sentence
Maybe that would have made it more palatable and sound less harsh than I meant it.
I actually meant it more in humorous vein with a bit of truth thrown in with the last line of the post
My apologies, but your comeback itself was good. It made me laugh.
sorry i went off like that. I apologize. Im glad you liked it though, lol.
Dylan_928 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 08:23 AM
  #35  
WALTSTAR
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
WALTSTAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 546
Default

Sean, Unless you have seen my installation, you wouldn't know the condition of my green wire or its limits. You spent a lot of space being so committed to your opinion (and made sure you used the word "stupid"), but I have written patents, built prototypes and a great many things since the start of my career in 1980 (including bikes & cars). There is sufficient slack in the wire. It has to flex somewhere as its connected to the engine and the chassis, right? So I chose to give it a large loop on the distributor side rather than the shorter free length on the passenger side.
I would surmise that you are old enough to have a drivers license and so, should be old enough to know to not make very committed assumptions.
I am glad to see that you are almost over the CAPITAL LETTERS thing!
WALTSTAR is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
  #36  
Dylan_928
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 56
Default

Ill ask again... could my pickup coil be bad as well?
Dylan_928 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:11 PM
  #37  
Hacker-Pschorr
Super Moderator - Cracklin' Rosie
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Hacker-Pschorr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Up Nort
Posts: 10,062,660
Default

Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Sigh, I'm not advocating, just supplying alternatives. I get your point, and agree with it. This kid is trying to get his 40YO car running in the mid-winter, in the frozen tundra, on a budget. How about we not let perfect be the enemy of 'good enough'? I'm thinking with what I've seen of his workmanship that he can make the splice job work for 1/3 price for now, and move onward with the project.
I get that, but I've been down this road way too many times. So it's got a running issue (pick any) build your own green wire, problem doesn't go away "Great, it wasn't the wire!"...maybe.
I've worked on these cars where a "known good" used green wire was installed to eliminate that possibility. After many, many hours later of trying to track down the issue a new green wire was installed. Poof, problem solved.
Bonus fun: The previous car which "donated" the green wire never had this issue.

We're not talking thousands of dollars, it's $140 for something that should last another 25+ years and is the lifeblood of the ignition system.

Any running issue going forward that wire will be suspect. It's not worth the hassle or headache.


Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
If you route the wire in this way you are putting more stress on the wire ends, where they already fail the most.
With your comment I wonder if the new wires are longer than before. When I installed a new one in my 79 there was so much slack I too zip tied it to the cross brace to get it out of the way.
Hacker-Pschorr is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 PM
  #38  
Shawn Stanford
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Shawn Stanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Poconos
Posts: 3,501
Default

Originally Posted by Dylan_928 View Post
forgot to mention that im not a 40 year old porsche enthusiast who has a doctorate in sarcasm and automechanics. (Im a high schooler who owns a porsche)
I know I'm late to the party, but that **** was funny right there.

40? Heh. Come to one of the gatherings (you really should, if you can), and see how many of us are under 40. Good for you trying to keep an aging supercar on the road on a junkyard budget. And if anyone gives you crap about not having enough $$ to keep a 928 on the road, tell them if you can't get it running you'll just do an LS swap.
Shawn Stanford is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:23 PM
  #39  
Dylan_928
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 56
Default

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford View Post
I know I'm late to the party, but that **** was funny right there.

40? Heh. Come to one of the gatherings (you really should, if you can), and see how many of us are under 40. Good for you trying to keep an aging supercar on the road on a junkyard budget. And if anyone gives you crap about not having enough $$ to keep a 928 on the road, tell them if you can't get it running you'll just do an LS swap.
that though HAS gone through my head with the shark and my previous 944
Dylan_928 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:27 PM
  #40  
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member
 
docmirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rep of Texas, N NM, Rockies, SoCal
Posts: 19,482
Default

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr View Post
I get that, but I've been down this road way too many times. So it's got a running issue (pick any) build your own green wire, problem doesn't go away "Great, it wasn't the wire!"...maybe.
I've worked on these cars where a "known good" used green wire was installed to eliminate that possibility. After many, many hours later of trying to track down the issue a new green wire was installed. Poof, problem solved.
Bonus fun: The previous car which "donated" the green wire never had this issue.

We're not talking thousands of dollars, it's $140 for something that should last another 25+ years and is the lifeblood of the ignition system.

Any running issue going forward that wire will be suspect. It's not worth the hassle or headache.
.
Two last comments. 1. Not sure if you're keeping up but he's in HS, doesn't have $140 to spend. 2. Nate has generously given one for the good of the cause.

Finally, maybe you should run over there and help out with actual work product and save the online spending advice? Perhaps it's just a Texas thing.

Have a nice day.
docmirror is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
  #41  
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member
 
docmirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rep of Texas, N NM, Rockies, SoCal
Posts: 19,482
Default

Originally Posted by Dylan_928 View Post
Ill ask again... could my pickup coil be bad as well?
Pickup coil fault is possible. Would need an oscilloscope to test it. Wait for the green wire to show up, make sure your battery is FULLY charged, then check for spark at one or more spark plugs. These cars do not respond to poor batteries, particularly in cold weather. Best to keep the battery on a tender, or slow charge until your electrical system is fully sorted out. Common to have many current leaks, although you've done very good work with the CE panel already. I know you're working out in the cold, but take it one step at a time. Get good spark, and then we'll move forward.
docmirror is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:08 PM
  #42  
Dylan_928
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 56
Default

Originally Posted by docmirror View Post
Pickup coil fault is possible. Would need an oscilloscope to test it. Wait for the green wire to show up, make sure your battery is FULLY charged, then check for spark at one or more spark plugs. These cars do not respond to poor batteries, particularly in cold weather. Best to keep the battery on a tender, or slow charge until your electrical system is fully sorted out. Common to have many current leaks, although you've done very good work with the CE panel already. I know you're working out in the cold, but take it one step at a time. Get good spark, and then we'll move forward.
alright, ill probablt bring my battery inside tonight to get a full charge.
Dylan_928 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM
  #43  
beran earms
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
beran earms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: THE GRANITE STATE
Posts: 490
Default

Nate, I like your style. Dylan , hats off to you, do the best you can with what you have and learn as you go, and getter done.
beran earms is online now  
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 AM
  #44  
Dylan_928
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 56
Default



Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread but here is a pic of my 944. Yes her name was Nikki, and my 928 is Kelly. (Sorry for the sideways pic)
Originally Posted by beran earms View Post
Nate, I like your style. Dylan , hats off to you, do the best you can with what you have and learn as you go, and getter done.
thanks sir. I have learned so much about porsche already and i have only had 2 porsches within the past 2 years!! I have honestly amazed myself
Dylan_928 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 AM
  #45  
The Forgotten On
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Thousand Oaks California
Posts: 3,247
Default

After first joining here one of the first things I did was change out that wire when I was 16.

I saved up over a while and took the plunge to get the part. Never had another ignition issue after that.

The system itself is simple and extremely reliable, when properly maintained.

You could just extend the car side harness using dual conductor shielded wire, and get the shorter wire. It would cost maybe $20 in parts to do.

Hell, you could even just make an extension using a male and female 2 pin mini amp connectors to make it completely reversible if you wanted to.
The Forgotten On is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: