Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Need a trunk lock (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1123853-need-a-trunk-lock.html)

firemn131 01-13-2019 11:22 AM

Need a trunk lock

Good Mornng.

Well the 89 finally arrived..(Don't ever use Door To Door shipping!).
Thanks Doc and John for coming to the rescue.

There is a loooong list of things to get this project into the fun category.

First off I will start with installing a lock for the hatch.

Thansk

Does anyone have an extra?

Then I get to figure out how to re-key, as the pass door doesn't work with the key provided.

Wisconsin Joe 01-14-2019 10:52 AM

Wayne Strutt's writeup on "Rekeying a Hatch Lock" in the DIY forum is full of good info.

You can likely fix the passenger door lock cylinder. While there are differences between the hatch and door locks, the cylinders are similar enough that Wayne's excellent writeup will guide you through it.

If I had to guess, you have a couple of tumbler blades worn or broken. You can file the worn ones so they work, you can completely remove the broken ones, and just run the lock with a couple of empty slots.
I can say this with a fair amount of confidence because I had the same issue with both my hatch cylinder and the passenger door one.

Drill out the pins, take it apart, see what's up (the writeup covers this with pics, so I'm not going into detail).

C531XHO 01-14-2019 10:57 AM

I agree, rekeying is pretty straight forward. Managed to sort out the passenger lock on my 944 very satisfactorily.
Issue I have with the trunk lock on my 89 928 is finding one that isn't fractured. The original let go completely and the spare part I was sent is cracked...worth inspecting yours and shutting the trunk gently. There's obviously a design fault, maybe fracturing due to lateral alignment or perhaps small twisting movements. Who knows..

D

firemn131 01-14-2019 02:10 PM

Thanks guys.

I read through the re-key posts the other day and believe that will be the route for me to go.

The issue with the trunk is, there isn't a lock there.

docmirror 01-14-2019 05:39 PM

BTW, it was completely thrashed when we arrived. The tumbler asm was pushed out of shape, and the hatch latch part was missing entirely I think.

Mark should have one to sell. Not sure if you will get the key with it though.

Mark Anderson 01-14-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by docmirror (Post 15565856)
BTW, it was completely thrashed when we arrived. The tumbler asm was pushed out of shape, and the hatch latch part was missing entirely I think.

I do have an alarm rear hatch lock with no key for $150

GregBBRD 01-14-2019 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by docmirror (Post 15565856)

I've got a 1990 that I'm not attempting to save....send me a list of what you need.

soontobered84 01-15-2019 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by C531XHO (Post 15564731)
Issue I have with the trunk lock on my 89 928 is finding one that isn't fractured. The original let go completely and the spare part I was sent is cracked...worth inspecting yours and shutting the trunk gently. There's obviously a design fault, maybe fracturing due to lateral alignment or perhaps small twisting movements. Who knows..

D

IINM, Roger has the male parts of the hatch latches made from much better metal which should be so easy to fracture.