Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Need help in Arlington Texas. No start. (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1122335-need-help-in-arlington-texas-no-start.html)

firemn131 01-04-2019 08:55 PM

Need help in Arlington Texas. No start.

Hi All,

Well, the short story is, I bought an 89 S4. It was a daily driver before the previous owner took it to a P dealer to have some minor work done. Transmission fluid lines replaced, oil change, Idle control valve. PO drove it after that with no issues and then took it to his local (also a 928 owner) mechanic to have prepped for sale.
Car sat for about 3-4 weeks. Shipper went to load it today and it wont start. Battery is probably the culprit.
I know that my 87 can be temperamental if the battery is a bit low. My concern is that they tried to jump the car for a while with a no start.

Hopefully they didn't cook the ECU.

Was wondering if there is anyone local that I can refer the previous owner to, that can help get it started. Shipping company is scheduled for a Tuesday pick up, but car has to start reliably.

Was think the usual culprits to check

relays
jump the fuel pump relay
Alarm. Shouldn't be that as there is only 1 key.
ECU
??

Nothing heroic just the basics. If it remains a no start I will have it shipped a different way.$$$.

I would just feel more comfortable with one of our people there to try the basics.

I would be greatly appreciative.

Shop is located in Arlington Tx. 76013.

I will give address and phone # when and if anyone is open to helping.

Timeline to suit your schedule..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

John

SeanR 01-04-2019 08:59 PM

Wish I could help but I’ve got contractors here all week for flooring install and can’t leave the house. I’ll ask around at our breakfast in the morning if anyone can lend a hand.

firemn131 01-04-2019 09:20 PM

Thanks,

I appreciate it.

John

karl ruiter 01-04-2019 09:36 PM

How about having it towed to Sean's and then shipped from there?

firemn131 01-04-2019 10:35 PM

To Sean’s

That’s a great idea if I can’t get it started. That’s an expensive tow. I get really nervous when generic tow trucks get near my P cars.

docmirror 01-04-2019 11:13 PM

Timing is tough for me, I have a set of spare ECUs to offer but can't get them over there until Monday. I also have a fresh batt, but my wknd is spoken for through Sun night. If I can do it on Monday, I'll be happy to give it a try. Keep this updated.

Mrmerlin 01-04-2019 11:16 PM

have the shop charge the battery by disconnecting it first then charge it at 6 amps for 2 hours.
Connect the battery then hold the pedal to the floor and crank it till it runs.
NOTE once it starts dont race the engine let off the gas as soon as it begins to fire,
and leave it to idle it would be best to drive the car for 10 miles then shut it off.
If no good replace the fuel pump fuse then try again

soontobered84 01-05-2019 01:13 AM

Besides the breakfast GTG tomorrow morning, I'm working all weekend.....BUT, I'd be happy to help out. PM me the info. 76013 is just down the street from me. I will let you know what I find out.

firemn131 01-05-2019 01:16 AM

Thanks Doc!

Thanks Doc. I tried to reply to you but apparently I reported your post. Ha ha. Fat fingers and not too good using the app on my phone.
Monday will work perfectly. I really appreciate it. If they fail to get it started tomorrow, I will PM You the details. Thanks so much I really really appreciate it

soontobered84 01-05-2019 01:19 AM

Ok then. Oh well, good luck. Hope it's not at Sam and Joe's

soontobered84 01-05-2019 01:41 AM

Sean,

Do you remember Lance Albrecht's Black 86.5 without the spoiler. See YOUR quote at the bottom of any of MY POSTS and guess where the car had been just before you or I saw it.:)

firemn131 01-05-2019 10:19 AM

Not open today

Hey gents, I tried to call the shop, and it appears they are not open today. I guess Monday will be the best option at this point

soontobered84 01-06-2019 04:22 PM

Doc, The shop was not open Saturday or Sunday. Do you want to plan to go over there with me tomorrow (Monday)? Just let me know what time you might be available.

docmirror 01-06-2019 09:55 PM

Need exact location of car and contact info. We will do it Mon around noon. Can pm or post it.

docmirror 01-07-2019 05:04 PM

Ok, all set. Minimize run time to loading only. Connect black batt term, start engine, load onto truck, turn off engine, and disco black batt term. Has new plugs, needs all fuel dampers and hunt down vac leaks. Rear hatch latch broken. If open transport, MUST face forward.