Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Another Great 928 Video!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1117755-another-great-928-video.html)

Kongmiami 12-10-2018 01:09 AM

Another Great 928 Video!!

We need more videos like this, let’s show this guy some love by liking it!

beran earms 12-10-2018 08:28 AM

Already on further down, on 928 videos thread.

icsamerica 12-10-2018 10:54 AM

He had me until he said "Personally I think an Auto Box is best in a 9 2 8" while sitting in a GT.

tkrtape12 12-10-2018 12:55 PM

Make's me appreciate my shark even more....Thanks for the share

hacker-pschorr 12-10-2018 03:21 PM

"Attached to a gearbox they fitted at the rear of the car which again was a new idea"
Except for the Pontiac Tempest which had a front mounted V8 and rear mounted trans-axle in 1961.

"It was Porsche who came up with the idea of removing the cars visible bumpers and to conceal them behind these body colored wrap around polyurethane elastic bumpers, a radical idea for its time"
I'm guessing he's never seen a 1973/1974 Corvette

WyattsRide 12-11-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 15487969)
"Attached to a gearbox they fitted at the rear of the car which again was a new idea"
Except for the Pontiac Tempest which had a front mounted V8 and rear mounted trans-axle in 1961.

"It was Porsche who came up with the idea of removing the cars visible bumpers and to conceal them behind these body colored wrap around polyurethane elastic bumpers, a radical idea for its time"

Party Pooper!

JBGold07 12-11-2018 12:26 PM

Well he's in Cheshire so no, he wouldnt

928 GT R 12-11-2018 12:50 PM

Good to see some enthusiasm for the 928!

Regarding the 5-speed vs Automatic debate. I was a 5-speed only guy for many years but now that I have the 94 "Exhibition" GTS in the automatic configuration I can see why there are lovers for each...

The 5-speeds really lean toward sports car, they can be driven exceptionally close to their limits comfortably yet feel perceptually smaller and more nimble the harder you drive them. My GT's love the twisty back roads.

The automatic GTS's personality is more "Grand Touring" in luxury and style. I was slow to come around, but now I finally get the automatics. They are different animals for different purposes! Highway's and long sweepers are their forte' with the capacity to gobble the miles without stress. It takes some learning how to get the auto to start in first gear instead of the loafing second gear standard mode which makes for a great deal of mis-perception as to the cars capabilities. If you want to liven things up - Ya just gotta put your foot DOWN!!!

Both feel like bank vaults in terms of solidity and there are few, if any, squeaks or rattles. "The 928 is a car that you could drive straight through hell and wonder if it was warm in there".

Living with many of the U.S. auto industry's designers and corporate magnates as local friends. I have had two design executives (GM & Ford) describe how their company bought a 928 and took it apart to try to figure out how the Germans were able to build it. The 928 has been described to me as the benchmark for Auto designers... Nice to hear at our local car shows or cars and coffee mornings.

This is a decent video to forward to friends and car guys that just do not get the 928 and a better video to send to friends that do.

Enjoy!

hacker-pschorr 12-11-2018 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by WyattsRide (Post 15489795)
Party Pooper!

I think accuracy is important when sharing details about our cars. Don't get me started on the Bonneville speed record. :p

Originally Posted by JBGold07 (Post 15489847)
Well he's in Cheshire so no, he wouldnt

They have C3 Corvettes in England. Here's a '77 for sale less than 40 miles from Cheshire:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CORVETTE-...S/192725432704

The engine too, Chevrolet was testing alusil long before Project 928 started and the Corvair was on the market first. Albeit the process wasn't ironed out yet.
Mercedes hit the market first using the same alusil process as the 928 engine.

BIMMERMIKE 12-11-2018 03:00 PM

"Personally I think an Auto Box is best in a 9 2 8"
And his name is Roger!!

JBGold07 12-11-2018 03:10 PM

It is a fantastic video and everything the man says must be 100 percent correct as he's in Cheshire.
40 miles away may as well be Alaska

bureau13 12-11-2018 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 15487969)

Wasn't there something new about the 928 bumper arrangement though? Maybe it was the first deformable one with the low-speed impact protection? I don't know...I've seen something about this mentioned as a first many times. Or was that just internet myth?

hacker-pschorr 12-11-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by bureau13 (Post 15490302)
Wasn't there something new about the 928 bumper arrangement though? Maybe it was the first deformable one with the low-speed impact protection? I don't know...I've seen something about this mentioned as a first many times. Or was that just internet myth?

The C3 bumper is also designed to withstand the basic impact without damage, how well it does in the real world is questionable. I'm sure the material composition is different.
5 MPH bumper regulations started in '74.
Zero damage bumper regulations started in 76 for the 79/80 model years.

Doing some poking around, found this site:
https://www.carid.com/articles/chrom...ere-metal.html

It was during this time that automakers also began experimenting with plastic covers that partially or completely covered the more massive metal bumper structures. Beginning with the 1973 Chevrolet Corvette, they saw increased use on late-1970s Porsches, Camaros, Firebirds, BMWs, and more. more details on - https://www.carid.com/articles/chrom...ere-metal.html

bureau13 12-11-2018 03:55 PM

Dammit. Next thing you will tell me is the 928 isn't the first to have the moving instrument pod.

(I've long suspected that one wasn't true, although I've heard it claimed as well)

Darien 12-12-2018 11:22 PM

Man, that looks brand new!!:rockon: