Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Exclamation Warning question !! (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1102287-exclamation-warning-question.html)

ChiefWarrantOff 10-08-2018 03:08 PM

Exclamation Warning question !!

One of the best things from owning a two owner car is that is mostly original..so after starting my 1982 yesterday. (its been about two weeks), I now have the exclamation warning on the dash and console, and cannot be reset. The car runs flawlessly, oil is perfect, temp is perfect, brakes are new..after reading so many comments about the many possible causes, I figured maybe since my fuel was low and my battery low, that I could just add fuel and replaced the battery..but No Joy.. I did notice that my front passenger side marker light is not working, and my rear passenger side indicator is not working as well..will this be a permanent cause of the exclamation warning light?? I have read that is does some kind of bulb check as part of the starting process..but I also thought that it could be reset as well..
any help would be appreciated..
thank you
al

jetson8859 10-08-2018 03:10 PM

Check to make sure emergency brake is ALL the way down. On my 87, if it's up just a little the exclamation light will remain on.

ChiefWarrantOff 10-08-2018 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by jetson8859 (Post 15346150)
Check to make sure emergency brake is ALL the way down. On my 87, if it's up just a little the exclamation light will remain on.

Tried that...I figured that the brake indicator shuts off and on when I place it on and off so it must be okay..but I really was hoping it was the issue at first..I also checked the cabling, so no dice as well...
Thanks again.. Jetson..

Wisconsin Joe 10-08-2018 07:44 PM

Have you read the owner's manual?
If you don't have one, there's a link in the New Visitor sticky to download a copy.
It tells you what faults trigger the Central Warning Light (! light), what faults allow it to be reset and what ones don't (Priority one cannot be cancelled).

The CWL should be accompanied by a specific warning light in the cluster (oil pressure, temp, parking brake, ect).

If you don't have anything lit up along with the CWL, it is likely that you have a bulb burnt out in the cluster. All of the fault lights should light up when the key is turned to 'on', but before the engine is cranked (both a bulb and system check).

ChiefWarrantOff 10-08-2018 11:51 PM

Hello joe. Yes. I should have mentioned that I did refer to the owners manual and figured out the groups. What’s confusing about the bulb check feature is that all of my dash bulbs are ok. I do have a rear turn signal bulb and side marker out. But will that cause a permanent caution light ?

Thanks again.

ChiefWarrantOff 10-09-2018 04:07 PM

Since this bothers me so much, I actually went home to change out the bulbs. Or course I still have the warning light..The only thing I can think of that may have interfered is that I was changing out the bulbs in the shifter and cigarette lighter bulb..thats it..
any help would be appreciated..
thanks
al

ChiefWarrantOff 10-09-2018 04:22 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...205ba61d86.jpg

giddyupp 10-09-2018 04:22 PM

Just wanted to make sure you do know you have to press the brake pedal once the car is started for the system to run a brake check and for the light to go out. If you did already know this and have done so, maybe there is something wrong with this switch.

ChiefWarrantOff 10-09-2018 04:24 PM

So am I missing something here??? will the Central warning light come on if the fuel level is low??? is there suppose to be a low fuel bulb warning light??? this is a 1982
hopefully If I put in more fuel the central warning light will go away..and I just need to replace the low fuel light bulb if there is one to be replaced..
al

Wisconsin Joe 10-09-2018 08:32 PM

Yes. Low fuel should have a light.

But you should be able to press the CWL in the console and make it go out for fuel (reset it).

ChiefWarrantOff 10-10-2018 11:15 AM

WJoe..I most likely have a burned out bulb..I added 5 gals of fuel and the gauge did move out to the reserve fuel range..so we can eliminate that..I did some testing on the temp senders, brake fluid looks fine, coolant levels are perfect..and my brakes are new..I am wondering if the CWL module is malfunctioning.?? is this a common problem in your opinion? I have been doing a lot of reserch on the CWL module, and its mostly directed toward the gauge lights not working, which mine are okay except for the fuel light..any other opinions would be gratefully accepted,

thanks again
Al .

ChiefWarrantOff 10-10-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by giddyupp (Post 15348707)
Just wanted to make sure you do know you have to press the brake pedal once the car is started for the system to run a brake check and for the light to go out. If you did already know this and have done so, maybe there is something wrong with this switch.

Yes, I triple checked the parking brake, and it used to work fine..the parking brake light does shut off when I unlock the parking brake..Same warning light..

thanks for the input..
al

Wisconsin Joe 10-10-2018 04:27 PM

I you aren't seeing any specific warning lights in the cluster, and it won't reset when you push it, then it may well be the module.

No clue how to check or fix it. And I really don't like simply throwing parts at a problem, hoping it fixes them.

ChiefWarrantOff 10-10-2018 05:26 PM

That's what I am thinking as well WJoe..I guess I will have to open it up and see if there is anything specific that is burnt or broken..I will post an update..
al

Mrmerlin 10-10-2018 09:17 PM

dont bother your not going to find anything,
best thing to do is plug your box into another car and test it.
if the fault follows then you know you have a bad box,
and it would be wise to buy a good working used box.
I have not found anyone that can fix them