Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   "Nice car...is it for sale?" (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1101473-nice-car-is-it-for-sale.html)

bureau13 10-05-2018 03:10 PM

"Nice car...is it for sale?"

Does this only happen to me? Every couple weeks someone stops next to me at a light, or in a parking lot, or (I'm not kidding) driving next to me on the turnpike, leaning out of their window and yelling something along these lines. Rarely do I see any indication that these people know the first thing about 928s. I mean, I guess I don't know that, but it's just my impression. And my car is not what you'd call immaculate. The paint is complete crap at this point (one of my PCA friends has nicknamed it The Thug, which I've decided I quite like actually). Anyway, I usually answer no, because it's not. But really, everything is for sale, given a large enough offer. It would take enough to buy me a better one though, so it would be pretty stupid for them to do that. I'm guessing they're car flippers, but I don't know. It just seems weird.

Tony 10-05-2018 04:29 PM

Last week in Vegas. Guy followed me into the gas station in a 993 cab. Asked if it was for sale. NOOOOPE. he said one of his biggest automotive regrets was selling the 89 he had. Told him about this place...:icon107:

Hold On 10-05-2018 06:19 PM

Yep. I get that a couple times a month. I have a neighbor down the street who asks every time he sees me. I also have a 74 Alfa GTV and can`t take it out without someone asking me if I want to sell it. It goes with the territory. K.

Geo55 10-05-2018 06:54 PM

Seems like every time I pull into a parking space. I only have one answer for them. NOPE, not yet. Makes me feel all special:burnout:

Kiwi'79 10-05-2018 07:51 PM

They are a relatively rare beast down here in NZ, especially well cared for OBS, I don’t get that question asked per se, due to most people looking at it and assuming it is very expensive!!! if only they knew!!!, almost without fail if I ask them what they think it’s worth, invariably, figures close to $100k seems to be the norm!!!

My favourite moments are when someone has followed me, or I have passed them... and they pull over to take a look, their amazement when they see the 1979 registration label is priceless! I have had people think it is only a few years old, until they look inside and see the “retro” 70s styling.

Its not, and never will be for sale as long as I am still breathing, it’s just a special car that relieves so much more stress than she will ever create.

Randy V 10-06-2018 03:51 PM

Happens every few months.

Last time told the guy it was his for $50K.

bureau13 10-06-2018 04:47 PM

This is the answer I should be using.

Originally Posted by Randy V (Post 15342046)
Happens every few months.

Last time told the guy it was his for $50K.

77tony 10-06-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bureau13 (Post 15342148)
This is the answer I should be using.

Note...Randy's is a GTS :burnout:

bureau13 10-07-2018 09:03 PM

Ahh, so maybe his answer is serious. It's still the answer I should be using, because I've got way too much blood, sweat and cursing in this thing to sell it for what it's "worth." So, yeah, $50K should do it, and then I'll use the proceeds to buy Randy's GTS :D

Originally Posted by 77tony (Post 15342155)
Note...Randy's is a GTS :burnout:

dr bob 10-08-2018 03:12 PM

Regular question. Regular answer: "Of Course. Everything is for sale!" I ask for an actual offer, but so far nothing.

30 Years ago, a friend spent his spare time doing a fabulous Karmann Ghia convertible resto-mod from metal. Guy with his teenage daughter follows him into a gas station, and says she loves it and he wants to buy it for her. How much... About 10x the used-car price guy and his daughter thought they wanted to pay. This one probably isn't for you. Will we eventually recover all the costs and sweat we have in our [pick your hobby passion car]? Probably not. Mine costs on average about $2.5k in annual parts and other expenses that don't include labor or the space it lives in. Invested rather than expensed, that money today would easily fund almost any new street Porsche purchase today, while the market value of the car today would only make a healthy down payment on the new replacement. On a strictly numbers basis and with only a very few current exceptions, cars absolutely suck as investments.

bureau13 10-08-2018 03:26 PM

Regarding the investment potential topic, my theory is that I could have found a lot of worse ways to blow that money, at least when it's all said and done, I have a car at the end of it.

dr bob 10-08-2018 05:16 PM

Amen. Too often when all is said and done, we have cars that we can't "afford" to sell, At least on paper... ;)

Wisconsin Joe 10-08-2018 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by bureau13 (Post 15346173)
Regarding the investment potential topic, my theory is that I could have found a lot of worse ways to blow that money, at least when it's all said and done, I have a car at the end of it.

Someone had a sigline to the effect of:

It would be an interesting experiment to see how many hookers and how much blow you could get with the money you spent on that motor. (not quite right, but in the same spirit)

I tend to lean towards the old line generally quoted to George Best (paraphrased):

I spent most of my money on skydiving and Porsches. The rest I just wasted.

The next time someone asks if it's for sale, say "Yes, how much are you offering." Have an "I will take it" in mind (the $50k to buy Randy's GTS is a valid number). Less than that, laugh and walk away.

I'd realistically value mine somewhere around $12k. Anyone who wants it needs to offer over $20k.
As was said, everything is for sale. Some things are simply worth more than their 'real value' to the owner.

Petza914 10-09-2018 11:21 PM

Happens sometimes when I'm parked, but never when I'm moving...probably because they keep falling further and further behind :)

bureau13 10-10-2018 10:24 AM

The guy leaning out the window on the highway...I had to slow down and listen, I thought maybe he was telling me the car was on fire :D