Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Landlord says I have to move my 928 in 2 weeks (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1096761-landlord-says-i-have-to-move-my-928-in-2-weeks.html)

thesteve 09-12-2018 12:09 PM

Landlord says I have to move my 928 in 2 weeks

Hi, I'm new to the board by way of the Cayenne forum, but I've owned an 84 928 since 1996.
It is covered up and hasn't run since around 2000 and has a couple of sidewall-rotted flat tires.
I'm in a real pinch to just find some wheels (inflated tires on rims) from a junk yard that will fit well-enough on the car to just roll it around.
The parking lot where it has been stored is scheduled to be paved.

Can anyone recommend a common Make Model that shares something close to the bolt pattern?
Don't want to loose it, or go through the hassle of removing the wheels and getting new tires put on.
Thanks,
Steve

Jerry Feather 09-12-2018 12:24 PM

Since you have to jack it up anyway, why not just do so and take the two wheels to your tire guy and see if he has a pair of used 16 inch tires that he will mount for you for cheap

bureau13 09-12-2018 12:24 PM

I've got a set of flat dish wheels from my '86.5 with tires that I would sell cheap but from your profile picture, it doesn't look like you're in South Florida lol...

thesteve 09-12-2018 12:32 PM

Thanks guys. I'm in NJ. And yeah, I was just searching for the cheapest tires I could find.
I quickly realized I don't need 225/50-16's.
So that's great info that I should have realized... I guess any 16 inch wheel will work. Duh on me.

That's a great idea and that's what I'll do!

Thanks for the lightening reply... I'm just so stressed by the text I just got from the landlord about the 2 weeks...
What makes it worse is, forgive me, I've been using the car for storage, along with my wrecked 95 BMW 740 and they both have to go.
The 740 trunk is my outdoor lockable toolbox and shed. The 928 is more the warehouse. And I keep my plastic ramps back there taking care not to damage the seat backs.

Wisconsin Joe 09-12-2018 12:47 PM

Bolt pattern is 5 x 130.

Common to a lot of VW & Audi, IIRC.

For actually driving, you want offsets above ET50. For just rolling it around you can likely get away with a lot lower numbers. The tires will just stick out of the fenders.

I'd try a junkyard to see if they have any wheels with 'useable' (not necessarily 'road worthy') tires on them.

Edit to add:

Ya know? If it was running and driveable, this wouldn't be a problem.

Just sayin' :p

GT6ixer 09-12-2018 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe (Post 15284563)
Ya know? If it was running and driveable, this wouldn't be a problem.

Just sayin' :p

Haha good one!

Yeah, c'mon Steve since you are going to technically be doing some maintenance on it for the first time in 18 years get that thing in a garage and spend some time with us over on this side of RL and we will help you get it back on the road! :) I mean after all it is the best year of 928 to own.

dr bob 09-12-2018 01:36 PM

Piling on...

The deterioration rate sitting outside is greater than the escalation in parts-n-service costs these days. With that in mind, it makes financial sense to spend now on the car and save. If that doesn't make sense to you now, it will never make sense and it's time to move the car to a new owner. Ditto the 740, BTW. Both are poor market candidates right now in anything less than great condition, but whatever value they have is dropping as they deteriorate more. Or... maybe they've hit bottom. Regardless, if they've been sitting for a year like that, they probably aren't going to move quickly into value-restored territory anyway, at least not for an even longer while.

Post your location in NJ. Perhaps a lister nearby has a set of wheels to loan for the duration of the paving project.

thesteve 09-12-2018 02:38 PM

Ha, it was running. Only needed a fuel pump from sitting (which I bought years ago).

I'll never fix it and am not worried about its value... just the sentimental value and the pressure of having to deal with everything at once.

It had semi-minor front-end frame damage which was shabbily repaired in the late 90's when I was getting out of college.
Then I tapped someones bumper and the shabbiness of the repair was revealed. It's sat ever since.

It's in very poor shape for the abuse it has suffered... I don't own a garage -have been planning buying one for the past 18 years.

I live in North Plainfield NJ and would be happy to let someone use it. I still remember the starter disable Clifford alarm code and have the manuals. Ha.

Majestic Moose 09-12-2018 02:58 PM

I can loan you a couple manholes but will need them back.

linderpat 09-12-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 15284909)
Ha, it was running. Only needed a fuel pump from sitting (which I bought years ago).

I'll never fix it and am not worried about its value... just the sentimental value and the pressure of having to deal with everything at once.

It had semi-minor front-end frame damage which was shabbily repaired in the late 90's when I was getting out of college.
Then I tapped someones bumper and the shabbiness of the repair was revealed. It's sat ever since.

It's in very poor shape for the abuse it has suffered... I don't own a garage -have been planning buying one for the past 18 years.

I live in North Plainfield NJ and would be happy to let someone use it. I still remember the starter disable Clifford alarm code and have the manuals. Ha.

Well with that extra history - "so that others may live and thrive...." to the scrap heap after sourcing good parts from it.

thesteve 09-12-2018 04:24 PM

Thanks Alex, I think I'll just replace the rubber on the cheap at a Sears hopefully.
Well it's not that bad Ed... Just the paint has suffered and I hit it a few times with my 7's trying to park too close. It has been covered for what it's worth. Interior still smells of leather.
Just sayin.

Jerry Feather 09-12-2018 05:12 PM

I needed a tire on a wheel of one of my to-be-project cars so I could move it around in the meantime, and my tire guy actually had a pretty good one on his used tire rack, although pretty old, in the correct size even, and I think I paid him $15 for it including mounting it for me

vanster 09-12-2018 10:33 PM

How about going to Harbor freight and pick up a few tire dolly's? I think they are about $20 each or so. Or buy used 16" tires from your local tire repair shop. They always have them around and who cares what size or make as long as they are 16in

Shawn Stanford 09-12-2018 11:26 PM

I can't believe you're hanging on to a Shark that hasn't run in nearly 20 years. Time to let it go, man. Post up a few pics and we'll give you an idea of value. I might be looking for one myself in the near future.

Speedtoys 09-12-2018 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by thesteve (Post 15285153)
Thanks Alex, I think I'll just replace the rubber on the cheap at a Sears hopefully.
Well it's not that bad Ed... Just the paint has suffered and I hit it a few times with my 7's trying to park too close. It has been covered for what it's worth. Interior still smells of leather.
Just sayin.

It's what you cant see, that -has- been adding up to about $20-30 a week to get to the last time it was a good safe consistent runner over time.