Notices
928 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: 928 Specialists

Need help identifying part

 
Old 07-03-2018, 11:37 AM
  #1  
Smitje 928
User
Thread Starter
 
Smitje 928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying part

'87 auto

My mechanic helped lifting the engine out of my car. In the process we removed the front bumper, both fenders, the radiator & airco condenser, the airduct and adjusting flaps and the headlights.




Unfortunately I wasn't there the whole time so my mechanic took some stuff apart and off the car and put them in a box. Luckily he and I labeled most of it but I can't figure out where this bracket has to go:






It measures about 40 cm by 7 cm, and has a few notches on the bottom right (which I'm not sure of if they are supposed to be there...ů.)

Any thought on a part number and where it is supposed to go?

Thanks a lot in advance....
Smitje 928 is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM
  #2  
Mrmerlin
Petie3rd
Rennlist Member

This Post Sponsored by:
Dow Corning« & DeoxIT«
 
Mrmerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philly PA
Posts: 22,748
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

there should be two of them,
these are for the radiator side plates.
they should also have a strip of foam to assist in sealing against the rad side tank.

NOTE the top attach screw is found after lifting the head lamps.
NOTE how the edges are worn down from contact with the side tank
Mrmerlin is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:31 PM
  #3  
Jerry Feather
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jerry Feather's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: 2706 Skyline Drive, Grand Junction CO 81506
Posts: 4,542
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It looks like it is aluminum and that some spot welds have been drilled or ground out where the notches are. I can't find it in any of my 928s that are "opened up;" nor inside any fenders.

P.S. Stan's the MAN!
Jerry Feather is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 01:02 PM
  #4  
Smitje 928
User
Thread Starter
 
Smitje 928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
there should be two of them,
these are for the radiator side plates.
they should also have a strip of foam to assist in sealing against the rad side tank.

NOTE the top attach screw is found after lifting the head lamps.
NOTE how the edges are worn down from contact with the side tank
Thanks Stan, that saves me a lot of trouble!

There was some foam on it but that was completely deteriorated. The radiator is packed in bubblewrap, I will check later if the other plate might still be attached to it...
Smitje 928 is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 01:05 PM
  #5  
Smitje 928
User
Thread Starter
 
Smitje 928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jerry Feather View Post
It looks like it is aluminum and that some spot welds have been drilled or ground out where the notches are. I can't find it in any of my 928s that are "opened up;" nor inside any fenders.

P.S. Stan's the MAN!
It is indeed aluminium Jerry, and I think Stan is correct that is was probably ground out by making contact with the side tank: doesn't look like they are supposed to be there....
Smitje 928 is offline  
Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM
  #6  
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member
 
Rob Edwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 13,722
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

They're important for maximizing airflow through (and not around) the radiator and AC condenser, you'll want to re-install them along with new foam so they 'seal' the sides of the radiator. But complete any plumbing changes to the AC compressor and transmission cooler lines before re-installing, as those hoses pass underneath these panels.
Rob Edwards is online now  
Old 07-03-2018, 03:57 PM
  #7  
Smitje 928
User
Thread Starter
 
Smitje 928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Posts: 123
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
They're important for maximizing airflow through (and not around) the radiator and AC condenser, you'll want to re-install them along with new foam so they 'seal' the sides of the radiator. But complete any plumbing changes to the AC compressor and transmission cooler lines before re-installing, as those hoses pass underneath these panels.
Thanks for the advice., Rob. I am planning on replacing the hoses to the AC compressor and the transmission cooler lines, S I will make sure those are done before re-installing the radiator and AC condensor....!

Just checked the radiator, the second one is not on the radiator. Will check the other boxes again...
Smitje 928 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help identifying part


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: