Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Wire and Connection on Cambelt Cover (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1049122-wire-and-connection-on-cambelt-cover.html)

grant v 02-11-2018 10:30 AM

Wire and Connection on Cambelt Cover

1 Attachment(s)
The electrical wire has broken off from the connector on the right hand side cambelt cover - what is this for? The cambelt tension warning light has come on - is this related?

Attachment 1351505

FredR 02-11-2018 10:33 AM

Given the cable is for the timing belt tension warning light you can safely assume that is why your warning light is on- that or your belt is caput [most unlikely]

SteveG 02-11-2018 11:01 AM

ground wire

Further, that is the ground connection for the warning system. It doesn't look repairable, i.e., a splice. You can drive it, but the warning system is now, not monitoring the tensioner and belt. Search and ye shall find a description of how it works. 928 International or 928srus can get you a new or used one.

Mrmerlin 02-11-2018 12:25 PM

If your crafty pry the plug from the front cover,
use a dremel to carefully trim the plastic back to expose more wire ,
then solder the wire to the plug.
use some heat shrinkon the connection.
Then get some JB weld and pot the connection,
you can use some blue tape to make a small dam.
once the JB cures plug it back into the front cover and handle the connection with care.

NOTE this plug is not available as someone bought the whole stock of them from Porsche. That might have changed.
Otherwise 928INTL might have one from a used harness

davek9 02-11-2018 12:28 PM

You can cut back that plastic and Solder Tin the nub that's left going into the connector, clean, strip back and Tin the wire, place heat shrink on wire and solder it to connector.
I've done it, start by removing the connector and carefully cutting back the plastic to see if you have anything to work with, or as suggested get a new or used end with a tail and splice it on the wire.

FYI.. that same type of connection end is used for the Windshield Antenna Amp under the dash ;)

LOL ^^^ Stan is typing fast today !!! ^^^

grant v 02-13-2018 09:29 AM

Excellent - thanks for the advice, guys.

The cambelt warning light doesn't come on when I start the car - it only comes on once I've driven a quater mile or so.

bureau13 02-13-2018 09:43 AM

There's a built-in delay before the light shows up. That is expected behavior.

Mrmerlin 02-13-2018 09:55 AM

the T belt warning has a built in 3 minute warning this so the engine can stretch out to operating size,
this tightens the belt some and prevents false warnings.

SeanR 02-13-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 14793865)
If your crafty pry the plug from the front cover,
use a dremel to carefully trim the plastic back to expose more wire ,
then solder the wire to the plug.
use some heat shrinkon the connection.
Then get some JB weld and pot the connection,
you can use some blue tape to make a small dam.
once the JB cures plug it back into the front cover and handle the connection with care.

NOTE this plug is not available as someone bought the whole stock of them from Porsche. That might have changed.
Otherwise 928INTL might have one from a used harness

Gee, wonder who did that? LOL I can say it wasn't me.

You can buy some 2mm audio plug (that I can't find in my stash) that works, but securing it is the tricky bit. I'll keep looking and see if I can find the part.

The Forgotten On 02-13-2018 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SeanR (Post 14798640)
Gee, wonder who did that? LOL I can say it wasn't me.

You can buy some 2mm audio plug (that I can't find in my stash) that works, but securing it is the tricky bit. I'll keep looking and see if I can find the part.

I have a feeling it might be Kroon but can't say for sure, they are contracted to Porsche Classic after all.

Mark Anderson 02-13-2018 06:36 PM

Also used on the windshields with antenna