Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Best fluid transfer device for gear oil (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1041627-best-fluid-transfer-device-for-gear-oil.html)

merchauser 01-02-2018 07:09 PM

Best fluid transfer device for gear oil

Posted in separate thread about proper gear oil for my transaxle, and now wondering if someone
can suggest a really good fluid transfer pump to get the job done.

wishing I could use my motive power bleeder, but worried about contamination. really don't want to
buy a motive transfer units (same cost as the bleeder) for something I will use once a year, or less.

the cheaper ones all seem to create a mess.

any ideas?? or is there a way to adapt my power bleeder?

dr bob 01-02-2018 07:21 PM

Don't Put Anything In Your Power Bleeder Except Brake Fluid.

Meanwhile, there are handy little pumps that drop into the gear oil bottle that do a fine job of lifting oil into the gear cases. . Look at the oil display at your POLAPS or even at exotic places like Wal-Mart, and for less than $10 you'll have just what you need.

I have one that was carrying a Sta-Lube label on it when I got it a decade or two ago. I added a length of clear vinyl hose to the nozzle so I can see the oil on its way from the bottle to the gear case. Separate hoses for different fluids -- It's easy to see that the now-pink hose is for ATF, and the gear oil piece has it's own distinctive fragrance. The pump and the hose pieces live in a large Ziplock bag. Keeps tem uncontaminated, and saves other stuff in the oil-tools bin from seepage.

ammonman 01-02-2018 09:25 PM

I have a long piece of clear vinyl tubing that fits snug over the spout of a 1qt./L gear oil bottle. I route the hose into the fill hole and across the suspension to one wheel, slip the hose on the end of the lube bottle, invert and elevate the bottle and poke a hole in the base with a razor knife. Gravity does most of the rest. I have a Rogerbox on the 928 so only the diff needs filled and it fills till it runs out with the car level. A gentle breath of air to purge the hose once the bottle is empty and all done. However, when I change the manual trans GL4 fluid in our Boxster I use the same method but stop after two full liters and use a hand pump for the last .25L. Not sure who the geeneeous:soapbox: was at Porsche (or ZF as I suspect they actually designed the unit) that decided the correct fill level is 11mm BELOW the bottom edge of the fill hole. Gotta use a bent length of wire as a makeshift dipstick to verify the correct level.

Mike

potdog 01-03-2018 07:51 AM

Hi i use a one sold by a company in the uk called Silverline cheep Chinse thing listing number 132139818485 . For auto box refill and diff works great should think that you can get some think similar in the states.Just to say that it's the plastic one with only one pipe bougth a top dollar one from a motor sport company metal with two pipes bag off crap .

drooman 01-03-2018 09:27 AM

Motive makes an oil transfer pump with a nice metal hook spout...works great! .... for most of us... probably would not survive very long with daily shop use.

merchauser 01-03-2018 10:05 AM

I really like the Motive pump, but can't justify spending $75. for a tool that I will rarely use.

gomez123 01-04-2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by merchauser (Post 14706777)
I really like the Motive pump, but can't justify spending $75. for a tool that I will rarely use.

Unless you have more cars than your 928. I buy 5 gallon buckets of gl 80 and use the pump quite often. It works very well.

davek9 01-04-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dr bob (Post 14705802)
Don't Put Anything In Your Power Bleeder Except Brake Fluid.

Meanwhile, there are handy little pumps that drop into the gear oil bottle that do a fine job of lifting oil into the gear cases. Like this one on Amazon. Look at the oil display at your POLAPS or even at exotic places like Wal-Mart, and for less than $10 you'll have just what you need.

I have one that was carrying a Sta-Lube label on it when I got it a decade or two ago. I added a length of clear vinyl hose to the nozzle so I can see the oil on its way from the bottle to the gear case. Separate hoses for different fluids -- It's easy to see that the now-pink hose is for ATF, and the gear oil piece has it's own distinctive fragrance. The pump and the hose pieces live in a large Ziplock bag. Keeps tem uncontaminated, and saves other stuff in the oil-tools bin from seepage.

Great suggestion Dr Bob,Thanks!

I've been using the cheep HF transfer pumps, they work well enough but don't last long depending on what fluid your moving ;) and are hard to keep both ends in the containers w/o a helper or using some sort of clip.

Dave

SeanR 01-04-2018 02:33 PM

https://ssli.ebayimg.com/images/g/hx...Mti/s-l640.jpg

Get it at your local walmart or amazon. As Dr. Bob said.

merchauser 01-04-2018 02:44 PM

hey Sean, just got one at wal mart. for sure to get it done. thanks to all.

jon928se 01-05-2018 09:28 PM

1 Gallon garden sprayer, (They are only around $10 AUD so probably about $5 USD) remove nozzle assembly from the delivery tube, fill sprayer tank with lube of choice. Insert tube into trans, pump up and leave for 15 mins or so depending on temp and viscosity of oil, drink beer while waiting.

Dave928S 01-05-2018 10:46 PM

Another method ... To do it fast regardless of viscosity, and get a measured volume each time, I use a giant syringe. Also good for drawing off any excess, or emptying a reservoir.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...70c724a488.jpg

hacker-pschorr 01-05-2018 11:25 PM

Whao.... I'm imaging a GTG at Rob's house and he walks out holding that while wearing surgical gloves and a white apron covered in blood red gear lube and one of those protective face shields.

"WHO'S NEXT????"

Randy V 01-06-2018 02:01 AM

I have no advise for your devise.

Dave928S 01-06-2018 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr (Post 14712993)
Whao.... I'm imaging a GTG at Rob's house and he walks out holding that while wearing surgical gloves and a white apron covered in blood red gear lube and one of those protective face shields.

"WHO'S NEXT????"

You're a very sick man Erik :)