Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Replacing rear shocks; rear suspension pin stuck (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1037937-replacing-rear-shocks-rear-suspension-pin-stuck.html)

paalw 12-05-2017 10:08 AM

Replacing rear shocks; rear suspension pin stuck

I am replacing my shocks, but can't get the bloody pin to move. Searched the forums, tried all the tricks i found, hitting it both ways, impact wrench with counternut, pry bars, 5 litres of oil and WD40 into the inspection hole and around the bushings. Nothing will get that mean son of a b... to move.

I am a rookie DIYer in this area. Never worked on suspesion before. So, any ideas where do I go from here?

GlenL 12-05-2017 10:28 AM

It sounds like you've tried a lot of things. There's always trying again. Perhaps you can judge where it's stuck and work on that. I've seen the pin seize to the sleeve inside the shock and to the washers. At some point, it's time to get out the sawzall and cut the pin. It's hard to do.

paalw 12-05-2017 10:53 AM

I think it is seized to the middel part, not sure what it's called, but the part with the inspection hole underneath...

Tom in Austin 12-05-2017 11:12 AM

I'm sure you've tried this already ... place a 3/8 extension against the front of the pin and drive it out from front to back. IIRC, you have to remove the backing plate and parking brake stuff to reach it this way. I may have been lucky with mine, but some direct blows in this fashion finally got it moving.

GlenL 12-05-2017 11:35 AM

Does the pin rotate?

paalw 12-05-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by GlenL (Post 14649354)
Does the pin rotate?

definately not

SeanR 12-05-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by GlenL (Post 14649354)
Does the pin rotate?

That was going to be my question also. If it does, it will come out. Keep spraying Kroil/PB Blaster on it. Keep the impact gun away from the nuts. Leave the rear nut on and use that to rotate and pry out.

paalw 12-05-2017 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tom in Austin (Post 14649305)
I'm sure you've tried this already ... place a 3/8 extension against the front of the pin and drive it out from front to back. IIRC, you have to remove the backing plate and parking brake stuff to reach it this way. I may have been lucky with mine, but some direct blows in this fashion finally got it moving.

Tried it until exhaustion, from front and back..

GlenL 12-05-2017 11:51 AM

OK... The impact wrench will be useless as the pins will just twist on the rubber bushes. Get a long cheater bar and crank on the nut until the pin breaks loose. Either the rubber spins, and you have to cut it, or the pin breaks loose. Soak it, twist it, soak it , wait, repeat.

I like Liquid Wrench in the squeeze bottle, btw. Likely something similar in your area. Spray cans can be just messy.

Kevin in Atlanta 12-05-2017 11:57 AM

Cut the shock off the pin when all else fails. BTDT.

Dan87951 12-05-2017 12:04 PM

Have you tried using heat? You can pick up a portable torch at Wal-Mart pretty cheap. I have found heat always helps in situations like this. I think what happens is the grease is so old and dried out that it acts as a friction surface when trying to remove the pin. Good luck!

Cheburator 12-05-2017 01:08 PM

I had a similar problem with mine. The pin was stuck firmly in the shock sleeve and would not budge no matter what. Initially I thought it was stuck inside the hub carrier. This is seldom the case - the through hole in the hub carrier is bigger and the former is centred on the pin with the help of two conical washers either side. To determine where the pin is stuck - try and separate the components skewered by the pin using a thin edged pry-bar. Only then you will see what actually moves on the pin and what is firmly stuck. One other occasion the pin was also stuck on the rear bush. Resorted to cutting the shock first and then burning the bush. The bush at the time was cheaper than the pin. Hope this helps.

Bertrand Daoust 12-05-2017 01:57 PM

To OP,

I was in the exact same situation when I tried to removed mine few years ago.

I had to cut the the shock, to remove the hub and suspension arm from there. Then used some heat (a lot) and a good press.

There's no other way those (I had to do this on both side) would have moved from there.

I'll look tonight for my thread on this and post it here.

Good luck.

Mrmerlin 12-05-2017 06:48 PM

I would suggest that you get a big can of PB blaster and soak the whole assembly,
do this a few times an hour, the PB blaster will dissolve corrosion.
spray into the underside of the hub carrier as well.
Worst case you use a sawsall and cut the shock from between the hub and rear bushing.
a used pin will work and you might have to replace some of the control arm bushings or just buy another used control arm at the half price sale at 928 INTL

Bertrand Daoust 12-05-2017 10:35 PM

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...s-are-out.html

Good luck.