Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   Is this normal? A question on the differential (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1028656-is-this-normal-a-question-on-the-differential.html)

monkez 10-07-2017 10:07 PM

Is this normal? A question on the differential

1 Attachment(s)
So with the frustration of trying to get the engine to run nicely (I'm still stunned on how everyone on this forum is willing to help), i thought I would do the relatively benign task of changing the oil in the differential. It seemed to be fairly straight forward until I jacked up the car (literally, not figuratively) and saw what's pictured below.

I am pretty confident that the plug circled on the bottom is the drain plug.

However, I'm only 85% certain that what is circled towards the top is the fill plug. Its only 85% certainty because if it *is* the fill plug, then it appears someone epoxied a threaded bolt into the allen wrench opening of the plug. :banghead: I'm not completely surprised because this wouldn't be the first time I've run into an inappropriate use of epoxy on this car.

Am i interpreting this correctly? Thoughts? I'd love to get some opinions before I start wrenching on this to open it up.

thanks!

Jerry Feather 10-07-2017 10:55 PM

What makes you think that is epoxy? It looks like arc welding to me. My guess is that someone overtightened the fill plug and then someone next stripped the hexes out of it trying to get it out. Then they seem to have arc welded the head of a bolt into what was left of the internal hexes to provide something else to remove it with. I would expect to remove it by double nutting the bolt that is sticking out.

It also looks like there is some damage to the drain plug, but I would try to remove it with the correct size hex key, or maybe with a torx that can be driven in to it to the bottom and then removing it.

Mrmerlin 10-07-2017 11:00 PM

looks like 17mm hex socket should work ,
I would triple nut the threaded portion of the fill plug,
order a new part before you mess with these

worf928 10-07-2017 11:33 PM

Well, the good news is that the gear oil has been changed at least once.

The differential cover is easy to take off so that you can get proper tools for remedial work.

Alternatively, toss it and get a good used unupgephuked cover.

Wisconsin Joe 10-08-2017 12:00 AM

Take out the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.

I agree with Jerry that it looks welded rather than epoxied, double or triple nutting the "stud" should do the trick. The drain plug doesn't look all that bad.
But I'll bet both of them are torqued well beyond spec.

Replacement plugs are available from the usual suspects. Use new crush washers and don't overtorque them. 18 ft/lbs is what I remember, but I could be wrong on that.

monkez 10-08-2017 01:13 AM

After it being pointed out, it does look welded and not epoxy and I didn't even think of triple nutting the bolt. Apparently, frustration saps brain cells. :D

It appears I will be making phone calls on Monday. The only upside to that is my daughter is able to deliver the parts since she goes to school 10 min from 928 Int'l. If they've got the parts, I'll have them for next week-end. :)

Again, thanks for the advice. It will likely save me some frustration.

thanks!! :cheers:

Majestic Moose 10-08-2017 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe (Post 14522699)
Take out the fill plug before you remove the drain plug.

I agree with Jerry that it looks welded rather than epoxied, double or triple nutting the "stud" should do the trick. The drain plug doesn't look all that bad.
But I'll bet both of them are torqued well beyond spec.

Replacement plugs are available from the usual suspects. Use new crush washers and don't overtorque them. 18 ft/lbs is what I remember, but I could be wrong on that.

The old style plugs do not have a shoulder to hold a crush washer but are new plugs interchangeable onto these transaxles?