Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   New Exhaust (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1028187-new-exhaust.html)

ltoolio 10-04-2017 03:44 PM

New Exhaust

4 Attachment(s)
After a long period of prep and road-worthiness work, I was able to get my '82 into a shop to get my exhaust system all worked out.

Headers are jet-coated MSDS w/ V-Clamps that the PO bought from Hacker, Y-Pipe was custom fabricated SS with two bungs, and a Borla on the rear with a V-Clamp added to it.

Doesn't sound quite as mean as it did when it was headers-only, but still really happy with the result.

Should be able to get a few weeks more of driving here in Chicago, then onto what will hopefully be a smaller list, and less time-intensive list, of winter projects.

:rockon::cool:

polecat702 10-04-2017 04:17 PM

Very clean installation, and the tail pipes look great.

Mrmerlin 10-04-2017 05:10 PM

I have had 2 Borlas on my early cars they are nice for out of the box components/
Sano install job as well, ya done good

soontobered84 10-04-2017 06:49 PM

Ryan,

What size tubing did you use from the header back? Is that 2 1/4"?

Crumpler 10-04-2017 07:06 PM

That. Looks. Awesome.

Well worth the wait.
I like the heat shields in black, nice touch.

ptuomov 10-04-2017 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by soontobered84 (Post 14516537)
Ryan, What size tubing did you use from the header back? Is that 2 1/4"?

Second that, what are all the pipe sizes in the system?

ltoolio 10-04-2017 08:20 PM

Thanks, Gents.

Originally Posted by Crumpler (Post 14516570)
That. Looks. Awesome.
Well worth the wait.
I like the heat shields in black, nice touch.

I did the black on a whim. When I originally cleaned them up, there was a fair amount of discoloration them, so threw a few coats of aerosol Plasti-Dip on them. Not sure how well it'll hold up, but looks good for now.

Originally Posted by soontobered84 (Post 14516537)
Ryan,

What size tubing did you use from the header back? Is that 2 1/4"?

Originally Posted by ptuomov (Post 14516576)
Second that, what are all the pipe sizes in the system?

2.5" OD Stainless Steel

Mrmerlin 10-04-2017 10:30 PM

FWIW the heat shields should be painted silver or white to reflect the heat,
black will absorb the heat and make the center of the car hotter, but it does look cool.

Note if you used Plastidip this might not be the best thing for a metal surface thats going to see hot exhaust temps it might catch fire.

Best to use hi heat BBQ paint in silver or header paint

Daniel5691 10-04-2017 11:45 PM

Those headers look INSANE, so cool.
Great job, brother

ltoolio 10-04-2017 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmerlin (Post 14516937)
FWIW the heat shields should be painted silver or white to reflect the heat,
black will absorb the heat and make the center of the car hotter, but it does look cool.

Note if you used Plastidip this might not be the best thing for a metal surface thats going to see hot exhaust temps it might catch fire.

Best to use hi heat BBQ paint in silver or header paint

Stan -
I considered both of those aspects prior to application. Thoughts on both:

Heat resistance - Plastidip states 200 degrees F. I'm not sure what the highest temp they get to, but I read a number of threads indicating people using it directly on the exhaust tips, along with calipers and a few people who used it on their mid-pipes with no ill effects.

Holding of heat - I figured that would be the case. My thoughts / hope is that with the air running under the car that it would dissipate it quickly.

Regardless - you've given me something to think about, and a likely another winter project. Damn you, Stan. Damn you. :)

Petza914 10-05-2017 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ltoolio (Post 14517093)
Stan -
I considered both of those aspects prior to application. Thoughts on both:

Heat resistance - Plastidip states 200 degrees F. I'm not sure what the highest temp they get to, but I read a number of threads indicating people using it directly on the exhaust tips, along with calipers and a few people who used it on their mid-pipes with no ill effects.

Holding of heat - I figured that would be the case. My thoughts / hope is that with the air running under the car that it would dissipate it quickly.

Regardless - you've given me something to think about, and a likely another winter project. Damn you, Stan. Damn you. :)

Exhaust tips are usually jacketed or double wall (like yours) so the hottest part is inside and the painted parts are outside. Exhaust tips are also pretty far away from where the explosions are occurring. I'm with Stan on the plasti-dipped headers not being the best idea.

Does look good though.

RennPartsDirect 10-05-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 14517615)
Exhaust tips are usually jacketed or double wall (like yours) so the hottest part is inside and the painted parts are outside. Exhaust tips are also pretty far away from where the explosions are occurring. I'm with Stan on the plasti-dipped Heat Shields not being the best idea.

Does look good though.

IFIFY

Looks great Ryan! Now to go out and enjoy it!

ltoolio 10-05-2017 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Petza914 (Post 14517615)
Exhaust tips are usually jacketed or double wall (like yours) so the hottest part is inside and the painted parts are outside. Exhaust tips are also pretty far away from where the explosions are occurring. I'm with Stan on the plasti-dipped headers not being the best idea.

Does look good though.

Ah....I see the confusion.

I didn't coat the headers with Plasti-dip. They were jet-coated prior to me acquiring them.

The only thing that was plasti-dipped were the heat shields above the mid pipe and exhaust.

Petza914 10-05-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ltoolio (Post 14517801)
Ah....I see the confusion.

I didn't coat the headers with Plasti-dip. They were jet-coated prior to me acquiring them.

The only thing that was plasti-dipped were the heat shields above the mid pipe and exhaust.

Now that the gas from Uneekone has cleared from my face....

That's better. Let us know how it holds up.

Mrmerlin 10-05-2017 01:08 PM

you should figure the heat shields could see 450 F , this will be while sitting in stopped traffic after driving on the turnpike for e 40 mins.
SRSLY the plasti dip could catch fire just like the body shutz does,
NOTE this is when you have extra fuel going down the cats and they are glowing orange
How many black airplanes do you see?
Most are silver or white.