Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   928 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum-69/)
-   -   83 euro cat. whats inside (https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/1025004-83-euro-cat-whats-inside.html)

rcrone928 09-12-2017 08:09 PM

83 euro cat. whats inside

I was wondering what's inside of the cat converter of a 83 euro catalytic converter. two pipes in and two pipes out. Is there an X crossover or just strait through? Would an x pipe be a good idea in place of the converter or just a waste of effort. I think the converter is just about shot.

STRIKEMASTER 09-12-2017 09:03 PM

No cats on my '83 euro. It's called an 'intermediate muffler' in my PET.

The Forgotten On 09-12-2017 09:10 PM

The stock twin cats that you have are connected with an H pipe in front of them where the two exhaust pipes from the manifolds connect to the converters themselves.

You can put an X pipe in its place, many have done it.

James Bailey 09-12-2017 09:26 PM

Might be good to post a photo... just to confirm what is under YOUR 1983 EURO !! MOST ANYTHING MAY HAVE BEEN ADDED TO fEDERALIZE IT

rcrone928 09-12-2017 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by STRIKEMASTER (Post 14471677)
No cats on my '83 euro. It's called an 'intermediate muffler' in my PET.

HI STRIKEMASTER . So it's an intermediate muffler then on to a resonator next then final muffler? If no cat why is there a smog pump? This car is stone cold grey market with NO federalization done to it that I can find. The car is kinda loud so maybe it is a muffler going bad and not a cat. I can't see an h pipe anyware either. Does your car have one. thank you for your reply... Rob

STRIKEMASTER 09-13-2017 12:56 AM

My '83 euro pipes.

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is a WP0ZZZ car---No cats, air pump, EGR No H, Y or X pipe Duel exhaust pipes all the way back. K-Jet CIS...When I put an A/F gauge in it, I put it in the right side header because the floor pan already had a plugged hole for the wire in the floor on that side..I'll see if I can find some pix of the pipes and post them . Here's some from the PET. The first one shows the rear half. In pix-2, part #8 IS listed as a catalytic converter but only for the M-28.3/4 engines.....Same looking part on mine but it sounds more 'hollow' than a cat should when I bang on it. Part #1 in pic-1 replaces part#12 in pic-2 on my car. Part#8 in pic-2 has 2 short pipes coming out of it on my car, not a single flange coupling as shown.. I don't know how much gas mixing goes on in it. Anyone ever taken one apart??

rcrone928 09-13-2017 01:21 AM

My car seems to be set up just like yours. Do you think an x pipe in place of the front muffler would have any benefit? WPOZZZ car as well. I would love to see those pix for sure. I don't have a camera to show mine with. Thanx for the effort....

rcrone928 09-13-2017 02:51 PM

Part #8 is the cat converter on my US car with one pipe coming out. On the euro there are two short pipes coming out. My question is, is it a cat converter or, muffler? IT seems most dual exhausts that I've seen have an x or h pipe to balance output. So, I was wondering if a crossover exists inside the first can coming off the headers. thanks for the pix.

STRIKEMASTER 09-25-2017 04:47 PM

Euro pipes

12 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics underneath my '83..As you can see , no cats. The A/F sensor is on the passenger's side because there's already a hole in the floor pan near the C.E panel..

rcrone928 09-25-2017 06:09 PM

Thanks for the pix STRIKEMASTER. Mine looks just like your set-up. Is the A/F sensor for a wide band gauge? So..no catatonic diverter, but just a muffler. Any need for the smog pump Without A cat? Thank you for the effort with the pix.................Rob

STRIKEMASTER 09-28-2017 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No air pump on mine, No cat to feed air into ...I'd like to be able to mount the alternator where the air pump should go, make it less vulnerable to high manhole covers..LOL Has anyone done that?
I put an APSX D2 wide band kit in it...$139.99 on Ebay..I used the Passenger's side because there's a hole in the floor on that side so I don't have to cut one. CIS is not individually adjustable and I have new M-B ***047 injectors and a rebuilt FD from 928Intl, so I consider the readings from the Pass. side to be representative of the system..
I just thought of a 'shade tree' way to see if the exhaust mixes: After you get the A/F bung installed, squirt a little oil in that pipe and cap off the bung. If smoke comes out both pipes when you fire it up, then it mixes both sides.:cheers:
As a side note What's the production# (last 4 digits) on yours? Mine is 1138, Like the first George Lucas film THX-1138:thumbup:

BRB-83-911SC 09-29-2017 09:48 AM

On my 84 Euro (LH) with no cats, but with the Euro front muffler, there is an air pump which feeds air into the back of the heads. This is the factory setup. Not sure if that is the same for earlier CIS Euros...

Ghosteh 09-29-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by rcrone928 (Post 14473276)
Part #8 is the cat converter on my US car with one pipe coming out. On the euro there are two short pipes coming out. My question is, is it a cat converter or, muffler? IT seems most dual exhausts that I've seen have an x or h pipe to balance output. So, I was wondering if a crossover exists inside the first can coming off the headers. thanks for the pix.

My understanding is that part #8 on an early OB car is not a cat, but another pre-muffler/resonator/space-filler. There are pictures on this forum somewhere of both the U.S. version, which has dual outlets, and a Euro version, which looks identical, but with a single outlet.

For what it's worth, I'm looking for one of the single-outlet Euro versions for my car. There has to be someone out there who has one sitting under their workbench who would like to see it go back onto a car that had one originally. Obviously, it's NOT a performance enhancing piece! :roflmao:

Maybe it wouldn't be that hard for a good exhaust shop to construct one out of a similar sized muffler & the remains of a U.S. cat with the same inlet/outlet. Of course, for "off-road use only"

rcrone928 09-29-2017 08:38 PM

Last four is 0863. A little older than yours.

STRIKEMASTER 10-06-2017 03:30 PM

Check your lower ball joint mounts...They changed from aluminium to steel somewhere around Production # 950 or so..