Notices

Tinting the 944 rear turn signals red

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tinting the 944 rear turn signals red

You may have noticed how the rear tail lights of the 944 look strikingly similar to the Volvo 240 of the 80's. The following is a very easy procedure to paint the rear turn signals red. This process can also be used to paint the reverse lights also to completely 'red out' the tail lights...however doing this will make your likely already useless reverse lights totally useless. Not to mention it is very likely illegal to do this thus making your car difficult to pass any state safety inspections you may have. So i would personally only advise using this prodedure on the turn signal lenses.

The following supplies will be needed...

-Testors transparent Candy Apple Red spray paint. #1605
-Masking tape
-Newspaper

1. First start off by cleaning the turn signal lenses with whatever suits your fancy. Dry the lenses off as well.

2. Make a complete outline of the turn signal lense with masking tape. Its much easier to use the already nice and straight edge of the tape rather than trying to cut pieces of paper out. Once your outline is finish, start by cutting out lengths of newspaper and tape around the lense.

3. Once you are satisfied with your masking job, begin spraying the lenses with light, even coats. Instead of gonig length wise, i found it easier to spray height wise. So i went up and down, rather than side to side. Remember to start spraying off to the side, then bring it down over the lense. Failure to do this will make things splochy (is that even a word?) and result in uneven layers.

4. I sprayed 4-5 light coats on. I matched this up with the lense on the buttom to get close to the other red lenses. Allow everything to dry about one hour before removing the masking tape. Be VERY careful removing the tape from the edges of the lense, you can accidentally peel away the dried paint (which literally comes off like a sheet) if you are not careful.

5. Stand back and admire your handy work. Grab beer (or soda if you are under 21) and turn your hazards on to further enjoy your handy work.

The pictures below are out of order...but you get the idea
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: Tinting the 944 rear turn signals red