Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMO most accurate valuation article | August 2017 Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts
Default IMO most accurate valuation article | August 2017 Excellence

With all the exaggerated valuations out there, this ones quite accurate imo, as long as you honestly rate your car in the correct category Average/Good/Excellent. I should imagine there are a bunch of "Below Average" and "For Parts Only" ones out there also.

P1

P2

P3

P4
Old 07-15-2017, 03:16 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
With all the exaggerated valuations out there, this ones quite accurate imo, as long as you honestly rate your car in the correct category Average/Good/Excellent. I should imagine there are a bunch of "Below Average" and "For Parts Only" ones out there also.
Looks pretty spot on to me.

Excellence would have access to PCA data to go along with the Excellence classifieds. If you are a PCA member, they offer a valuation service that is based on national verified classified ads/sales from around the country.....probably including Excellence.

I have a document somewhere that lists the sources they use because I had to state a case on a total loss 944S once when a nationally known insurance company representing the party at fault tried to low ball me.

They argued my car (really had just been gifted to my son for 16th b'day) was not "Excellent Condition".

Here's the funny part......, I knew I had them when I left that meeting and refused the low ball.

We had restored this car together and the car had won "best German car" at a fairly large local car show, along with "participants favorite".

I went back next day and rep for company is grinning at his desk with a check for the low ball.

I reach to the floor and slid the two awards onto his side of the desk,

I said - 'The car is in excellent condition".

His smile disappeared....., he called next couple of days with a check for $10k +$2k for pain and suffering, less the $500 that I bought the car back for.

Car is still in the family.

SO, article says 1987 944S = Excellent condition = $10k, that's exactly what PCA valuation said and that's exactly what I got.

T
Old 07-15-2017, 05:07 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting that they value the 89 Turbos higher than the 88 Turbo S.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:13 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fejjj
Interesting that they value the 89 Turbos higher than the 88 Turbo S.
Identical spec, one year newer. I think the 88 Silver Rose would be the exception though.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Financedog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen several "excellent" (using their interpretation) cars of late across the lineup outperforming these numbers, but any valuation tool/service will have a lag. Thus, I guess if prices are slowly rising, as they appear to be, seeing cars sell above these levels would be expected.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:47 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Financedog
I have seen several "excellent" (using their interpretation) cars of late across the lineup outperforming these numbers, but any valuation tool/service will have a lag. Thus, I guess if prices are slowly rising, as they appear to be, seeing cars sell above these levels would be expected.
I've seen many outperform those also on the asking price, not so much on the selling price though.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Financedog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many outperform those also on the asking price, not so much on the selling price though.
Yea, definitely talking sales prices, but maybe my interpretation of excellent should actually be "most excellent" 😜.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps.

I'd like to have seen an '89 944 S2 Coupe in good condition for $10,500 a few years back. I admit I was particular and wanted a white one, so that limited me a bit, but still, that seems a bit low to me. Not much, maybe $1000, but still low. It's surprising the coupes are valued lower than the Cabs since there were far more Cabs made than coupes during that time. If you're racing these cars, the last thing you want is a Cab (maybe the last thing you want is your head?)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

If you search these cars in Canada you'll find them a lot cheaper--price wise and dollar value (as compared to the American dollar) wise.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

yawn; by those above accounts, 968's aren't even keeping up with inflation. if accurate

they're claiming about the same prices across the board as in 2007–when i was aggressively shopping,

or perhaps they're a grand or two higher. sorry...... in the greatest nothing to see here/non-event ever,

compare them to your outlays for groceries, health services and education since 2007.

all the people who picked up tired SC's, 964's and sharp 993's in 2007-2011

are looking like frigging geniuses about now.

you could throw a dart in any 911 graveyard and come out smelling like a rose.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:19 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Identical spec, one year newer. I think the 88 Silver Rose would be the exception though.
1989 Turbos lack the split fold down rear seats and the headlight washers by default, and some only had a 4-speaker stereo. The 1988 Turbo S is more desirable because it has all of these features, and is technically the only "944 Turbo S" ever offered. The Silver Rose is by far the most common, and many would say least desirable, color combination. Zermatt Silver '88 Turbo S cars with black interiors, for example, are far more rare (yet better to look at) and will fetch significantly higher prices as a result

Few people appreciate that plaid burgundy interior, in my experience. That's why Porsche stopped selling them and started offering other colors after around 330 Silver Rose examples were sold in 1988. The next several hundred were configured in more palatable color schemes to boost sales.

One way you'll know this article was written by someone unfamiliar with the high-end 944 Turbo market is because there is no way on God's Green Earth that you'll buy an "excellent" 1988 944 Turbo S for $16,500 now. Zero percent chance.

These are $25K+ cars now, often reaching the $30K+ bracket, like my old car.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:44 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ried
These are $25K+ cars now, often reaching the $30K+ bracket,
Two years ago I was looking at an '89 S2 coupe in admittedly excellent condition that was going for $17,500. It was gone before I got there. Not sure I give a whole lot of weight to these prices, it seems street values are quite a bit higher. I also didn't understand why the Cabs were priced higher than the coupes? Didn't make any sense since the coupes are much harder to find.

Maybe it's survey bias? Folks don't honestly report sales price all the time.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:09 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ried
...These are $25K+ cars now, often reaching the $30K+ bracket, like my old car.
Yes I agree and your car was imo above the "excellent" standard they used in the article. They also didn't account for mileage in their valuations and, as we know, a number of very low mileage cars have sold for a lot more than stated here.

If you think about it sports cars are mainly used as second or third cars and don't run-up a whole lot of miles. I would say 5000 a year would put a car in the "average" category, anything below 100k today would add to any valuation. There are a bunch of other variables also such as original paint, mods, records, etc., that would take a car past the "excellent" valuation.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Want to know what a particular car is actually going for, go to eBay and click on to "sold listings".
Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Want to know what a particular car is actually going for, go to eBay and click on to "sold listings".
I generally agree, but keep in mind that the very best cars often appear on enthusiast sites like Bring a Trailer or at specialty dealers like Sloan.

Quick Reply: IMO most accurate valuation article | August 2017 Excellence