Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scored cylinder

Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Aleqs
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scored cylinder

i have a 2008 Cayenne i bought recently with only 138k km. After a few weeks of driving it the engine started to make a knocking noise. and though im not mechanically sound i can tell not all of the cylinders are firing up. it also has alot of smoke. The car is out of warranty. i did a little of research and i found out this is a common issue with Cayenne. My questiion is what are my option. almost every mechanic I talked to suggest i change the engine. is there any other cheaper option?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:29 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Buy a 944, it's probably cheaper than a Cayenne engine. And then you'll be on the correct forum too.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:49 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleqs
i have a 2008 Cayenne i bought recently with only 138k km. After a few weeks of driving it the engine started to make a knocking noise. and though im not mechanically sound i can tell not all of the cylinders are firing up. it also has alot of smoke. The car is out of warranty. i did a little of research and i found out this is a common issue with Cayenne. My questiion is what are my option. almost every mechanic I talked to suggest i change the engine. is there any other cheaper option?
To repair your current engine, you'll have to remove and completely disassemble it and have a capable facility repair the cylinders and supply new pistons - https://928motorsports.com/services/...ock_repair.php

Depending on your 5th VIN digit, a used parts search tool I use turned up an 86k 4.8L non turbo engine for $5000.

T
Old 06-21-2017, 01:34 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I was honestly going to buy one of those recently, but with the epic problem these have with the scoring, I'm thinking I'll have to pass.

It's worse than the boxters bearing issues. I'm kinda disappointed in Porsche on this one. If I ever got one I'd feel like I was driving a ticking time bomb. It's not like our belts that you can just stay on top of with maintenance.

I know the boxters bearing failure rate is at around 10%. I haven't seen a stat on the scoring, but from all I've read it seems much much higher. Seems like it should have been a recall issue.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions

I have 2 Pepper Ss. I've never heard of this scoring and I have 170k on one and 111k on another.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smike
I have 2 Pepper Ss. I've never heard of this scoring and I have 170k on one and 111k on another.
Weird you haven't heard of it, I see it on the Cayenne forum all the time, and the owner's I've talked to are always saying they worry about it.

Could be one of those things were most who have it happen to end up posting about it, so it makes it seem worse. And I could be seeing multiple post from the same people in multiple locations.

But the scoring and water pipe issue were the two biggest things I was warned about when I started looking at them. I had been told some thought the Turbos were less prone to it, but I saw a post on the 944 turbo forum (or this one, can't remember) just this week where a guy mentioned in passing that he had a friend's turbo Cayenne block in his garage due to scoring.

To me it seemed a chronic problem, but maybe that's because of the forums I visit? Maybe they are just more likely to be taking about it?? Dunno.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions

My understanding it was a 04-05 limited VIN issue based on the TSB that was issued.

Yeah, I hear you there on seeing it. My 03 with 111k is full Fabspeed and what I tow the racecar with. We did do the water pipes.

Not sure either. Scoring can be a lot of things. Including inhaling debris. So who knows.

Eh, still love them.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Cylinder scoring is 99% a V8 Naturally Aspirated issue in the 955/957. The trick is GET A TURBO , which I will be doing at some point in the next year or so to replace my Audi. So hopefully in a year or so I will have 2 Turbos, a 951 and a 957 in the garage.

As to the OP's question, yes go to the Cayenne Forum to post the question but absolutely get a used motor for it--way way cheaper and you cannot fix it without resleeving a whole motor which will be cost prohibitive. The car is totalled at this point, so it's up to you how much you want to spend. Fully functioning Cayenne S normally aspirated V8 trucks are going for around $10-12K in the US right now, so you may want to start over.

Last edited by ventoGT; 06-22-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Aleqs
Did the mechanics actually diagnose (take pictures with a scope) of the issue? Some folks go tearing into engine only to find a minor repair
Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smike
My understanding it was a 04-05 limited VIN issue based on the TSB that was issued.

Yeah, I hear you there on seeing it. My 03 with 111k is full Fabspeed and what I tow the racecar with. We did do the water pipes.

Not sure either. Scoring can be a lot of things. Including inhaling debris. So who knows.

Eh, still love them.
I've also read some feel it's a lack of proper oil changing. I've also seen that mentioned with the IMS bearing issues. My only problem with that is why would it just strike these cars if it was that simple?

Or maybe Porsche owner's are just more likely to talk about it online and keep the discussion going?
Old 06-22-2017, 11:35 AM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I've also read some feel it's a lack of proper oil changing. I've also seen that mentioned with the IMS bearing issues. My only problem with that is why would it just strike these cars if it was that simple?

Or maybe Porsche owner's are just more likely to talk about it online and keep the discussion going?
Cylinder scoring in the Cayenne is much less the disaster that the IMS bearing is with 996/997s from a percentage standpoint...that honor for the Cayenne goes to the plastic coolant pipes (and "Tees" in the Turbos) and cardan shaft failures that are a matter of when not if they fail. Worryingly in the 958 Cayenne there have been catastrophic failures with camshaft bolts, though it looks like Porsche is going to own up to that issue. I also agree with you it's probably not oil related, though perhaps that speeds the process in affected motors. Some call it the "Porsche Engine Lottery" with the newer cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scored cylinder