Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch reseal/anyone have an extra hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch reseal/anyone have an extra hatch?

Unsurprisingly, the glass on my 944's hatch has started pulling away from the sealant. I'd love to just be done with this, so I'm open to the idea of paying some shop to do the job, but I know it won't be cheap (the shop I called today suggested as much as $2,000) and I'd rather just approach it myself if it's going to be more than a few hundred dollars. I've read the old threads on this, but I'm curious to hear if people have any updates on a couple specifics:

Has anyone paid a shop to do this recently in the bay area? If so, about how much was it, and did they do a decent job?

Which methods have held up well for you guys? I'd love to not have to repeat this soon...

I'd love to keep using the car while tackling this, so I'm inclined to look for a 2nd hatch, preferably in watertight condition. Even if it's separated a bit, I could repair the extra one, get some practice in, swap it for the original one and hopefully do a solid job there. I have no intention of getting rid of the car, so it's not like a 2nd hatch seems like an irresponsible thing to have hanging around. (And the slow, steady accumulation of parts continues...)

So, if anyone has, or knows of a spare hatch in good condition or just plenty cheap, preferably somewhere North of SF, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have one you could have for free but I'm down in San Diego which is a bit of a drive. It doesn't have the wing but it's sealed.

PM me if you want it.

Otherwise you might want to see if there is an LKQ pick-your-part up near you. You can get an entire hatch for around $40 if they have a 944 in the yard. 924 hatches will also fit so check for those as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Thanks, that's very generous! If I lived closer, I'd take you up on it. I'm betting I can find something more local for the price of gas for that trip or less, since there are a couple parts cars on CL.

I know there are some pick-and-pull type places around that have had 924s and 944s recently. Might be able to find something good nearby, just don't know what condition to expect. No big deal if I just have to practice the re-seal job on a cheap one, though.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

See this thread for a place in Redwood City...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...seal-shop.html
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I believe there is older threads on the subject.. I Took mine apart last year and Re-sealed it with Much Success! I LOVE being able to actually push the release button in the foot well and it "POP'S" open Just like when It was new. Separating the glass from the frame is the biggest challenge, once that is done its fairly Straightforward. Not sure how much Time it took but I did build a "Jig" to reseal it in so that it came out to the same Dim. There is much debate on the correct urethane and primer but I just went to an auto glass shop and got the recommendation. Once it is all done you need new rear Pins and Bushings as well ONLY 944,com sells the stuff, and when you are adjusting the hatch after re-seal or otherwise, Take your taillights out to access the adjustment, makes life easy..
Old 06-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Tom, thanks for bringing that thread to my attention. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the top is the real problem area. Might be able to get away with just re-sealing that, as was mentioned in that thread.

GPA951s, I've actually been meaning to order new pins. I put new bushings in last weekend, since the old ones were shot (about 50% of each was left), and it was during the process of adjusting and inspecting that I realized my hatch was starting to separate. Need new pins, though. Mine are in rough shape. Prior owner did some damage trying to adjust them, by the looks of it.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:55 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I never realized there were plastic bushings way down inside the catches until I saw them online, most of mine had dis-appeared, when i put the new ones in I did find the remains of what used to be some sort of plastic.

Quick Reply: Hatch reseal/anyone have an extra hatch?