Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey Boost Enhancer....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:54 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Lindsey Boost Enhancer....

So, was getting some stuff from Lindsey, and decided to give their Boost Enhancer a try. My rule for this car has been "nothing that can't be EASILY returned to stock". And this fit the bill. It did take me a bit to install, my hose on the banjo bolt wouldn't cooperate, and ended up crumbling in my hand. So now I've got some more hoses I need to address, there's another just like it under there. I now know they are toast. Why is the list always growing on these things???? LOL

Anyway, got it in, and O.M.G. does it make a difference. instead of boost hitting hard a little after 4K, it starts around 3k, and starts throwing you back into your seat around 3300. It moved everything down a little over 1k. And I think I have slightly more power even below that. It cut down on the lag a lot!! And now I spend much more time under strong boost. I can tell a huge difference getting up to 80 MPH! And staying in boost while shifting is much easier now! Well worth the $100. Best PNP mod I've ever made to a car. And I've made LOTS!!

As a side "benefit" I'm making slightly more boost now too. I don't think that's the Boost Enhancer per say, the only hose I had to replace the one that crumbled was a silicone one I had left over from doing all the vacuum hoses on the 87. I had a hose that the ID was smaller, or a hose that the ID was bigger. The bigger one wouldn't grip on the fittings, so I used the smaller one. In effect, I restricted the signal to the wastegate, so it thinks there is slightly less boost than there is. (I'm guessing, could be the BE even though Lindsey says it shouldn't do that)

Before, it pegged at EXACTLY 1.75 on the boost gauge. Now it goes to the little mark right before 2. Some testing shows it stays there, and it's not triggering the over-boost protection, so win/win!!! Got more boost (ok, went from around 11 to 12.... but still!), and it hits sooner!! Good mod! I may be flirting with over-boost, really not sure, I've been reading conflicting info from 12-15 for OP to kick in. But either way, haven't hit it yet!

Down side is that it's more bitchy when cold. Since these are FI, I had thought I had a problem. But after reading the manual (yeah yeah, I know, ) it's expected to have less power till it warms up. I live downhill from two rather large hills, and if I don't let it warm up some before driving, it doesn't want to make it up them very easy. I have to use about 1 gear lower than when it's warmed up. With the BE installed, seems that's slightly worse. But I'll live with one mile of dogged behavior for the benefits I'm seeing!

Last edited by 951Dreams; 05-21-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:35 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the feedback and sharing!

I recently bought one and going to install mine in the next few days. I look forward to improved performance of the car.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, some more testing today. Gotta love freeway entrance ramps!!!! can tell a big difference to be honest, but I had the chance to expand the testing at WOT into 4th. It seemed I was pushing two bar+, but I didn't get past 5k because I had to slow it down. I'm really wondering if I'm going to get into over boost protection.

At this point I'm just not sure if the extra power I'm feeling is simply getting an extra 1k worth of boost, the slightly higher boost, or both. I really don't see 1psi making all that much difference.

I guess I'll let it ride as long I'm not tripping my OB. That's one of the nice things about still having the stock chips I guess. But if I do trip it I'm not sure if it's my sightly smaller ID hose or the BE at fault. Why I hate changing two things at once. Always try to avoid doing that.

Likely I'm worrying about nothing, but after doing the HG on the 87, I'm not looking forward to doing that again any time soon! If this isn't the original HG, based on the condition of the fasteners, it's been many many years since it was done.

@slownrusty, report back once you've installed yours. I'm interested in your experience!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:41 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it's been said before, but if you have stock chips, you shouldn't be running any higher than stock boost, or you won't have the fuel for it.

A bit of advice I should have listened to from clarks garage, paraphrased: if you are going to mod your car, skip a lot of mildly expensive minor chip and what not changes and just go standalone. While there is nothing wrong with using chips in the DME, you have to change the chip to keep up with any change of boost or equipment, and you're still dealing with 30 year old tech and solder.

Youll soon want a boost gauge and MBC (which I can sell you, not using mine anymore!), and a dual port wastegate, and then a bigger turbo. I def would have saved a good bit of cash just skipping over my upgrade timeline straight to VEMS.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

If I decide to chip, it's likely I'll go with some sort of PNP stand alone. Something I can plug in and use, but still easily return to stock. But for now at least, I'm pretty much done with mods. It wouldn't surprise me that I'll get bored in a year or two, but for now, with the BE, I'm pretty happy with the performance. I think I'll do stuff that make it more reliable (replace worn or failing parts), maybe a better exhaust, but that's about it.

In other news, I hit the rev limiter for the first time. I haven't hit a rev limiter on a car in like YEARS! And the funniest part I was watching the tach, I just didn't react fast enough. I had thought I'd hit OB protection at first, but in hind site (and the fact it didn't go into limp mode) I realized I'd hit the rev limiter. Weird thing was it hit at about 6,300. But might have been needle lag. It now goes from 4-6.5K in a flash. Have I mentioned I love my 951???
Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention it so I'll have to ask. Did you change to a 3 bar fuel regulator? When I changed my chip that was a requirement. Also you said the hose crumbled in your hand. Just might have been a problem that you didn't notice. Enjoy the "boost".
Old 05-26-2017, 01:17 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fwb42
You didn't mention it so I'll have to ask. Did you change to a 3 bar fuel regulator? When I changed my chip that was a requirement.
This.

My 951 came with the LRBE when I bought it.
And a 3.0 bar FPR.
And chips. And an A-Tune. And other crap I'm forgetting.
And I haven't verified it yet, but I'm highly suspecting a shimmed WG.
[This is mere child's play compared to what some of you guys are doing today, I know]

Point being, even in the 951 'shallow end', these things kinda all need to work together properly.

I regularly hit 2 (or a bit past 2, in cooler weather ) on the ol' pod-mounted Bar-O-Meter aka "Fun Meter".
Rev limiter? If I even have one anymore, it must not kick in until well north of 7 grand...
[been there accidentally a couple of times... not deliberately...]
Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

The 3.0 Bar FPR is on the list. I don't see any signs right now that I'm running lean, but I want to get one. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Next week, or maybe the one after, the new LR fuel lines are going in. I'll do the 3.0 FPR then. I'm really on the fence with chips. I really want to keep my OB protection and my 6500K rev limit. I really just wanted to spool a little faster, and I've got that now. If I can find a PNP stand alone that I don't have to hack too much to install, I might do that. I'm REALLY not wanting to do anything that can't be returned to stock at a later date (If needed). If I chip it, I really need to mod the DME for 28 pin, I need to find out if you can plug a 24 pin chip in a 28 pin bed. (Once again, in case I want to return to stock) One big thing is I don't want to go MBC, but want to keep EBC.

The good thing about doing stand alone, I can get the benefits of chips, and set my limits where I want them. As long as I can avoid hacking the system up. Course... if the DME dies..... all bets are off!

Shims are on the list as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really shouldn't install a 3 bar FPR and raise boost without a chip to compensate. The stock chip wants stock fuel pressure, stock boost and stock waste gate.

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
The 3.0 Bar FPR is on the list. I don't see any signs right now that I'm running lean, but I want to get one. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Next week, or maybe the one after, the new LR fuel lines are going in. I'll do the 3.0 FPR then. I'm really on the fence with chips. I really want to keep my OB protection and my 6500K rev limit. I really just wanted to spool a little faster, and I've got that now. If I can find a PNP stand alone that I don't have to hack too much to install, I might do that. I'm REALLY not wanting to do anything that can't be returned to stock at a later date (If needed). If I chip it, I really need to mod the DME for 28 pin, I need to find out if you can plug a 24 pin chip in a 28 pin bed. (Once again, in case I want to return to stock) One big thing is I don't want to go MBC, but want to keep EBC.

The good thing about doing stand alone, I can get the benefits of chips, and set my limits where I want them. As long as I can avoid hacking the system up. Course... if the DME dies..... all bets are off!

Shims are on the list as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:57 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I replaced the fuel lines like you're thinking of doing, I had a slight, but definite, fuel smell. Had to get right down close to smell it, but it was there. It seems the problem might have been ethanol in our new gas. It permeates the braided lines unless you get the Teflon lined ones. Had those put in and the smell was gone.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:04 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mbean
When I replaced the fuel lines like you're thinking of doing, I had a slight, but definite, fuel smell. Had to get right down close to smell it, but it was there. It seems the problem might have been ethanol in our new gas. It permeates the braided lines unless you get the Teflon lined ones. Had those put in and the smell was gone.
I've heard that a few times. Hmmmmm I got the LR ones. Anyone had this issue with their lines?
Old 05-27-2017, 07:44 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed, you do not want a 3bar without a chip set made for it. If you do, it will be very rich.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:58 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Agreed, you do not want a 3bar without a chip set made for it. If you do, it will be very rich.
noted, didn't know that, thought the DME would compensate at non WOT.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:20 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

On the same note, you do not want to turn up the boost past stock either. The boost enhancer if adjusted can turn the boost up, so leave it as it came.

Of course this is without the proper chips.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:51 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
On the same note, you do not want to turn up the boost past stock either. The boost enhancer if adjusted can turn the boost up, so leave it as it came.

Of course this is without the proper chips.
That I did know, not touching it! I'm honestly happy right where I am for now. If I do anything "mod" wise from here it's going to be awhile.

Quick Reply: Lindsey Boost Enhancer....