Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Celebration coin

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 10:58 PM
trouble8v
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Celebration coin

Im looking for a 1987 Porsche 944 Celebration Coin that goes in the glove box
Old 05-17-2017, 09:35 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Check ebay. They show up from time to time.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:32 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Our cars were built in '87, but the model year for North America was the 1988 model.

Europe's medallion was also dated '87, and our North American version was not.

What color is your car and what month build date ?
How is it optioned ? ( any photos of the build / option code tag ?

I have an '88 in Satin Black with staggered 16" phone dials ( 7 & 8's ); all original with 70,000 miles. It was a 40th Birthday present to a lady ( who I purchased from ) whose husband died shortly thereafter. Hence the sale, as it seemed to be the reason she was selling.

They are rarely seen; supposedly 250 made for N.A. in Zermatt silver, and 250 in Satin Black Metallic, but it is speculated not that many were constructed.

Good wishes on finding the medallion as they are a bit hard to locate ........
Old 05-21-2017, 01:12 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I've said it before, but I'd love to spend and evening sitting around with you MGJ, drinking some beers and taking 944s!!!! Your like the 944 encyclopedia bergreenjeans!!

Hmmm... MGJ meme time??? Haven't made one in awhile.... Yep yep, here it comes...

Ok, I now unhijack this thread, sorry....
Old 05-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very close buying a celebration, but the asking price was way to high given all the investments required. It had the coin, but for me it was just a nicely optioned 944. Finally got a 2.7l.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:16 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dreams.... you are far too kind. But, I must say from reading the forums here, there are FAR more knowledgeable folks than I about the marque. I am just relaying what I know from my own experiences with my own Porsches.

Glad you got the car you wanted Sven; the 2.7 is a tremendous Porsche and it's a fairly rare one at that. At least over here in N.A.

The thing is tho, the Jubilee/Celebration cars are very uniquely optioned and nearly all the same ( at least every one I have seen is ).

The unique plush carpet in silver, the door panels covered in cloth, the plaid interior which ONLY came with this #757 coded option are just some of the desirable traits.
They had the 7 and 8 inch 16 phone dials in staggered format; the only model in a Normal aspirated that did. Most had an upmarket stereo system. All had the split back seats with special rear compartment cover. Sunroof. They mostly all came with the rear wiper, side trim, and some even came optioned with a Motorola phone. They came with the medallion which some dealers inscribed the backs with the first owner's name.
This was a special package which one may have added to if desired; to fill it out further with handling package, LSD, automatic, and washer for headlights. The 757 code was a good assortment of extras unique to itself. AND, couldn't just be added to a lesser or base car like the other options could. It didn't even go to all the dealers in America, altho some of the higher volume ones did get several cars. Which were either black or silver metallic.

The cars were quite expensive as well right from Porsche. Porsche thought they warranted a special Advertising sales flyer to be handed out at the dealership..... Try finding one today. (I think I paid over 100 dollars for mine about a dozen years ago on eBay)

No these sports cars were special enough for Porsche to make a big deal about this upon intro. They were more than a trimmed up 944

Quick Reply: Celebration coin