Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 S2 - Pad and Rotor recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEVER use Hawk HPS on track!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom R.
We had Porterfield's on the S and switched to Hawk blue. The porterfields didn't last as long as we think they should have.

I have the stoptech on my 128i. They are nice for the street, OK for autocross, and good for a 20 minute track session. After about 20 minutes I think they lost some bite - or I lost some skills.

I would recommend the stoptechs for a street/track car, and the porterfields or hawks for a track/street car like our S
Yeah I'd agree with that. I've been wanting to make the same switch. Probably just going to sell the Porterfields, street drive the Stoptechs and buy something more dedicated for my time at autocross.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:07 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
NEVER use Hawk HPS on track!
Seems like a very strong position Craig. Can you explain why?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:00 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Seems like a very strong position Craig. Can you explain why?
See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-for-hpde.html
Old 06-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
"They were all due to idiotic brake pad recommendations by morons who have never put their own ***** on the bumper of a car on a track."

Thanks Conner, a good reference I think. I really liked that quote, I think I'll keep it

I've just recently installed Hawk HP+ pads on my 928 after having a complete meltdown (literally) using an inferior street pad at Laguna Seca. It was the second HPDE I'd done with the car and my son and I were driving it back to back in different run groups. By the 4th run (mine thankfully) there were no pads left, I had a brake warning light on the console and noticed it while I was still in the pocket waiting for a start. I was able to escape right at the last minute, probably saving my life, my instructor's life, and my car. I ended up replacing the front rotors, luckily I didn't have to replace my son (my wife made me get a vasectomy after he was born, no more sons coming). Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I haven't put the 928 with the Hawks back on the track, but I just installed the HP+ on my 944, which also hasn't seen a track yet. The thread you cited is very valuable to me, as is my car. The 944 is a dedicated track machine but I want very much to drive it to and from Laguna, so I'm looking for a pad that works on the street but performs on the track. If I need to heat them up I will; that's not a problem for me.

BTW, The Hawks squeal like a pig anyway so that's not a concern. I can't hear them. It bugs the crap out of my wife though I was at a gas station a few years ago right after I put them in the 928 and the guy next to me asked how I could stand it. When I told him I couldn't even hear it; he just shrugged...

Great info, thanks,

Last edited by Otto Mechanic; 06-21-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 90 S2 - Pad and Rotor recommendations