Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automobile Atlanta Sux!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gina.kane
I will happily bump this up as I have had nothing but bad service from AA and I even gave them a second chance to redeam themselves.

ABSOLUTE CROOKS WITH NO CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS WHATSOEVER!

Gina
I bought my first parts from them and that was it... it was a rough go. I haven't bought a thing from them since then...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
I love browsing 944 online but have never bought from them because their prices on everything seem high. I have bought from Auto Atlanta many times for my 914 and have never had an issue.
Ah... but they have all the hard to find stuff... and if I ever "have to have it" I call them and have it next day since we're in the same state. They have been really good to me... no complaints and Jamie and Ian are top notch to work with.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:40 AM
nemo9xx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

944 online give my a very good service and are very helpful but it's true there price are slightly high, paragon offer a very good service to but there price are for some parts better.

for the people who have no complaint about auto atlanta there are just lucky because with this kind of attitude and after sales service it's impossible to offer any kind of good service.

nemð
Old 05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we should just call the Standing "Enzo" Flag on the fact that Automobile Atlanta Sucks!!! Thought it DOES bear repeating for the sake of unsuspecting new-comers!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 05-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love browsing 944 online but have never bought from them because their prices on everything seem high. I have bought from Auto Atlanta many times for my 914 and have never had an issue.

Yeah, Wiz... but we're talking about parts for REAL Porsches, here!!!

I'm willing to spend a bit more because of Ian's approach to service and because he's just "down the street" (about an hour) from me. Good People!

And Wiz... I really DO like 914's... Tried to get my former fiance to get one to take to the track but neither of us thought it would be a very safe daily driver (as compared to a more modern coupe, sedan, etc.). Love 914's still!!!

Jim 1987 944S
Old 08-03-2008, 01:44 PM
nemo9xx
Track Day

here a proof of the bad service of auto atlanta :
http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Use...ed+by&ref=home
BTW this web site (http://toolhaus.org) are VERY good if you want to see negatif and neutral feedback of ebay member before it was to late !!!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

^ Just read quite a few of the comments from that first link. I have never heard of Automobile Atlanta, but I will not be buying from there anytime soon. The customers' comments tell a part of the story, but it's "Lionel"'s replies to them that are particularly disturbing to see from a business that makes money by dealing with people.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
Ian's service at 944online is often worth any extra you might pay.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
kandyinmyvan
Instructor

Ian's prices aren't too bad, but it's his shipping costs that completely rape my wallet.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Well, glad I read this!!! Never going there, ever. Might want to pass this along to them... I moved here a year ago and might have tried them if I hadn't read this string. Sheeh!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Yeh, I'll never go there again.
Made that mistake too many times.

Rickamurphy - must have been you I met at the show yesterday.
I was the one with the lost identity, you know, Ferrari shirt, Porsche hat :P
Old 08-04-2008, 11:50 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Perhaps Automobile Atlanta got too big to maintain control...and perhaps have a few sales people who don't really have an allegiance to the company? Early on in my Porsche ownership (8 years ago?) I bought a few parts there. One order was excellent service....and then two orders were misrepresentations, of which one was unacceptable ($50 for a USED, WORN OUT, BRITTLE NLA gas hose that was represented as being in great shape with lots of life left in it (Not!). They really didn't have the part in Atlanta but sourced it sight unseen from a wrecker in North Carolina. BTW, if anyone wants to buy the NLA '85S rear U-shaped gas hose (for the fittings), I'll sell for $10 plus $4 shipping. The salesman represented himself at Jason and when I voiced concern about the service, he said, "That's just the way we are here." I got the impression it may have been an employee bent on sabatoging AA. Dunno.

Since that last purchase, I've bought over $8K in 928 parts....none from Automobile Atlanta, even thoughh they do have a good computerized parts search network (if you get the right guy on the phone). I admit that no dealer is perfect and some disgruntled sales reps are just trying to get even with their employer on their way out. The customer doesn't see this and just buys elsewhere. Oftimes management doesn't see it either, except through complaints to higher management (didn't work for me at AA) or through postings like this. When some companies get very large, they tend to loose control of customer satisfaction. The customer is not always right but the company does have to maintain integrity.

All this, frankly, helps the Big Three 928 suppliers (or however many there are). There used to be another one of the Big Three that did a lot of great things...but something slipped and they're no longer among the ranks. My experience was that they hired some inexperienced sales people or parts-monkies that didn't know 928s and were irritated when the incorrect parts had to be sent back. I hated to see them go but I found less frustration w/alternative 928 parts dealers. The best, in my mind, are those dealers that can tell you what you need to order (or not) and help you troubleshoot the installation if you have problems. The big companies can't do this. Sooo...if you value great service, stick with the Big Three. Remember that personalized service like this doesn't bring in as much money if they have to yak on the phone with some neophyte having parts installation problems. Each of the Big Three have saved me money by talking me out of parts that I didn't really need for a repair. I figure that the dollars work out in the end.

Such is life and the nature of business. Price and Customer Service are not always available from the same company...but when it is, that's where people tend to shop. Personally, I usually choose customer service over price. I don't want the Big Three to go away so I try to spend my $$ there.

One thing about discussions like this, EVERY company has its strong supporters and detractors. It just depends on your personal experience.

H2
Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have reluctantly ordered parts from AA for over 15 years. Never a good deal. I kept an old catalog just to research parts as the breakdowns were factory. Since then I've ordered a new catalog and many of the parts numbers have been deleted yet the old outdated or superceded parts have not been labeled correctly-strange. The George guy is really weird. Their new catalog is a mess. My last order - original key blanks were wrong(and vastly overpriced) when I got them. I gave them to a friend and sourced them elsewhere instead off sending them back.
As for parts dealers in general, you need a good parts GUY on the other end of the phone. This is worth a lot of money and you may have to kiss a few frogs before you find the right fit. I decline to blame any of AA's problems on the guys behind the counter, but knowledge is money in the P-car business. I've used most all of the parts suppliers in 22 years as a Porsche technician and there are some good ones. My wholesale account was with SSF in San Fran and my parts guy was Dave. He knew the the differance in all the Mahle pistons for old and new air cooled 2.7, 2.8 RS, and turbos. He had been a tech on the line and was very helpful. Often you will get parts from Pelican in SSF boxes as they are the supplier to Pelican (and right next door to each other).
I've got nothing good to say about AA after many first and second hand experiences with them.

Quick Reply: Automobile Atlanta Sux!