Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end reseal w/belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:55 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front end reseal w/belts

In my effort to ensure the car is perfect. I have looked into getting the belts changed. Car is running perfect but it's been 5 years since all belts were changed and less than 8k miles. So i took it into my local Porsche dealership and ask them to give me a quote. $2100 with a front end reseal. Is a front end reseal necessary for the belts being changed out? I hate asking this question because it just might show how much I don't know. I don't work on them, I just drive them . Thanks.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

If going for front end reseal may as well do water pump at the same time.
$2100 is crazy...
Where in TX? If near DFW you might try contacting a 928 guy named SeanR who owns a shop, he might be able to do it for you.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:37 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I would only change the front seals if there's evidence of leaking...
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I would think $800 plus parts would do the trick.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:17 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
If going for front end reseal may as well do water pump at the same time.
$2100 is crazy...
Where in TX? If near DFW you might try contacting a 928 guy named SeanR who owns a shop, he might be able to do it for you.
Yes that's what I was thinking. $2,100 and a front end reseal seemed out of place. Thanks brother.

Originally Posted by Van
I would only change the front seals if there's evidence of leaking...
Nope. Not a drop. Just making sure the two did not go hand in hand. Thanks!

Originally Posted by curtisr
Yeah I'm definitely going to get another quote.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:52 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A front end reseal isn't even that much additional work if you already have everything torn down to replace the timing components. $2100 sounds crazy to me, maybe the shop just didn't want the work and was trying to make you go away?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by curtisr
Originally Posted by melman911
Yeah I'm definitely going to get another quote.
bring it to me in the other Ontario (Calif.) and I'll do the belts, water pump and front seals for $900, including the parts
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
bring it to me in the other Ontario (Calif.) and I'll do the belts, water pump and front seals for $900, including the parts
Wish I was in Cali
Old 05-10-2017, 12:56 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

The local P dealership quoted me $3,300.00 for the same work so I read, studied, read some more, then did the job myself. One year and 8,500 miles later, she still runs like a dream (and yes I performed the 1.5k belt tension check).

I'm willing to bet that someone on this, or other 944 forums, lives close enough and may lend out a helping hand. We're all over... I'd also help you out if I didn't live on the other side of the world (ok, across the country in Mass.). Good luck!
Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I honestly think the P dealers are just pricing the work intentionally at objectionable levels. I really don't think they want to do it anymore. I've seen it in bikes. I had a 79 CB 750 that needed the carbs rebuilt, and several Honda dealerships quotes me prices so high I could have bought a brand new bike off the floor for what they wanted. The last one I tried told me flat out they just simply wouldn't do it. When I asked why, they explained that all the guys they had who knew how to rebuild that 4 carb setup had left or retired long ago, and the new guys didn't know anything about them (they were CRAZY complicated). And any parts that got broken were NLA, so they didn't even want to take the chance on them. When I told him what the other shops had quoted me, he said they were just throwing out super high numbers so I'd go away. For all the same reasons he just flat out said no.

It wouldn't surprise me if the P-dealers aren't getting to the same place. It's not that the work is hard, but their guys don't do them often enough to just knock them out. And these cars are getting old enough that stuff breaks when your taking things apart. And with parts going NLA, it's just not worth the trouble anymore. They'll do it if you want to pay out the nose, but they don't really want to mess with it if they can help it.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:18 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
Wish I was in Cali
Wish I was in the other Ontario.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I honestly think the P dealers are just pricing the work intentionally at objectionable levels. I really don't think they want to do it anymore. I've seen it in bikes. I had a 79 CB 750 that needed the carbs rebuilt, and several Honda dealerships quotes me prices so high I could have bought a brand new bike off the floor for what they wanted. The last one I tried told me flat out they just simply wouldn't do it. When I asked why, they explained that all the guys they had who knew how to rebuild that 4 carb setup had left or retired long ago, and the new guys didn't know anything about them (they were CRAZY complicated). And any parts that got broken were NLA, so they didn't even want to take the chance on them. When I told him what the other shops had quoted me, he said they were just throwing out super high numbers so I'd go away. For all the same reasons he just flat out said no.

It wouldn't surprise me if the P-dealers aren't getting to the same place. It's not that the work is hard, but their guys don't do them often enough to just knock them out. And these cars are getting old enough that stuff breaks when your taking things apart. And with parts going NLA, it's just not worth the trouble anymore. They'll do it if you want to pay out the nose, but they don't really want to mess with it if they can help it.
And the corollary of that is, you don't want them touching your car. You want someone who either works on them all the time (a good indy mechanic), or at least someone whose top priority is doing it right (i.e. yourself).
Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Ok I'm going to need some recommendations for here in San Antonio where I live. Tried another place and they were worse than the dealer. If anyone can help let me know. Need some that does great work. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:35 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you asking for when take the car in for estimates? Belts, idlers, and water pump or are they quoting other work that they deem necessary?
Old 05-10-2017, 08:36 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscharu
What are you asking for when take the car in for estimates? Belts, idlers, and water pump or are they quoting other work that they deem necessary?
Well that's a good question. That why I asked if a front end reseal was in some way related to changing the belts. The front is perfect and not leaking a drop. I called another shop here in town that my brother has used in the past but they honestly don't want to work on it. My brother had initially called for me and the owner was asking what kind of shape the car was in and was hesitant to work on it. This is a shop that works on every other Porsche out there. Make me wonder what going on. How complicated are the cars to work on? The car is running great so I may just wait. I was just interested more in preventative maintenance. The belts have less than 8k miles but supposedly after 5 years and they are shot. Crazy

Quick Reply: Front end reseal w/belts