Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $100 1983 944 Farm Find Mud Rescue Resurrection Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:54 PM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This part has been sorta hanging in one of the gaps on the driver's door, which has no inside panel. Does anyone know what it’s for? Door handle seems to work fine on either side so I’m not sure. The PO mentioned the door card was off because he was playing with the aftermarket remote locks. Could this be part of that mechanism(and thus disposeable)?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:53 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't like this and it probably won't do any good, but that looks remarkably like the part I use to adjust the float valve on my toilet.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 AM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
You won't like this and it probably won't do any good, but that looks remarkably like the part I use to adjust the float valve on my toilet.
I was thinking that it was the rod that comes with an enema kit. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:51 AM
Trekintosh
Advanced

So it goes in the mystery parts bin and maybe I’ll find something that needs it, or maybe I’ll never touch it again for the rest of my life.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Swenny
Racer

'86-'88
Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Looks like an extra rod to lock the door, Could be part of the PO's mess left over..There should be at least one rod running from the inside of the door to the lock mechanism near the rear of the inside of the door.If I remember correctly..?What does the PET say? any pictures match up??
Old 10-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Doesn't match anything in the above diagram, no.

Also I want to say, leaving near a Pelican Parts warehouse is awesome! I ordered brake pads and some sun visor clips and misclany yesterday, and they arrived today. Fantastic!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:38 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekintosh
Pic from my brakleen:

Here's my unit:

Looking at it again, this is clearly not an original unit. It's off-center, and it doesn't say blaupunkt. The feel is not very good on it either. I'll still try to get it working, since I have all these cassettes, but I'm still stumped on how to get it off, short of trying to pry the faceplate off of it.
The PCNA 944 cars were originally fitted with the Blaupunkt Monterey SQR unit for MY 1983 (aka "Köln for the Row cars). These were really nice radiocassettes with red memory switches, and some other nice features. I used mine so much it broke and I had it rebuilt. When it broke the second time around, the parts needed weren't available from Blaupunkt any longer. You can source used units in working condition occasionally on eBay.

Good luck with your project!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:03 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

I've been researching this radio subject for quite a while and it appears that the early 944's had four speakers (wired) and an antenna but did not come with a radio unless optioned at the factory or dealer installed. My 84' is a very low optioned car so, unless the selling dealer installed a unit (who knows?), it came with a plastic cubby in the single DIN space.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Swenny
Racer

Here's a page where you can check your options if you have the code(s).

http://kindel.com/porsche/options/options.asp
Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 PM
Trekintosh
Advanced

So today’s wrench session has the new fuel pump in and new brake pads all around but we just can’t get it to fire up on its own. It’s trying really hard but can’t seem to keep going. We know it has air and spark, and we know we have great pressure to the fuel rail, but we cannot confirm the fuel injectors. We tried adding fuel system treatment directly to the fuel rail then repressurizing the system, and that got it almost working, but it just won’t run. I’m thinking I just have to pull the injectors. I’ll try to put them through the ultrasonic cleaner first to see if I can fix it but most likely I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new set. Ouch.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 PM
Swenny
Racer

So today’s wrench session has the new fuel pump in and new brake pads all around but we just can’t get it to fire up on its own. It’s trying really hard but can’t seem to keep going. We know it has air and spark, and we know we have great pressure to the fuel rail, but we cannot confirm the fuel injectors. We tried adding fuel system treatment directly to the fuel rail then repressurizing the system, and that got it almost working, but it just won’t run. I’m thinking I just have to pull the injectors. I’ll try to put them through the ultrasonic cleaner first to see if I can fix it but most likely I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new set. Ouch.
Pull the fuel rail and place cups under each injector (while still attached to the fuel rail) and have someone turn it over. You can view the injectors in real time.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

We tried adding fuel system treatment directly to the fuel rail then repressurizing the system, and that got it almost working, but it just won’t run. I’m thinking I just have to pull the injectors. I’ll try to put them through the ultrasonic cleaner first to see if I can fix it but most likely I’m going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new set. Ouch.
Before you go buying new injectors, do you know whether the DME is working correctly? Have you tried bypassing the DME relay?

http://rennbay.com/dme-relay-info.html

The DME itself controls the fuel injection and would be the first place to look with a car that's sat outdoors for so long. In the 83 it's located in the driver side footwell, to the left of the steering column.

Keep up the good work!

Old 10-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Before you go buying new injectors, do you know whether the DME is working correctly? Have you tried bypassing the DME relay?

http://rennbay.com/dme-relay-info.html

The DME itself controls the fuel injection and would be the first place to look with a car that's sat outdoors for so long. In the 83 it's located in the driver side footwell, to the left of the steering column.

Keep up the good work!
I mean, I'll order a replacement/spare just because it's a good thing to have, but I used a test light on the fuel pump terminals, and I can audibly hear it when the car is cranking. I thought that was what the faulty DME relay would stop happening.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:57 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

I mean, I'll order a replacement/spare just because it's a good thing to have, but I used a test light on the fuel pump terminals, and I can audibly hear it when the car is cranking. I thought that was what the faulty DME relay would stop happening.
This can rule out the DME relay, but not the DME itself. When they go bad, the car can run haphazardly or not run at all.

Quick Reply: My $100 1983 944 Farm Find Mud Rescue Resurrection Thread