Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My $100 1983 944 Farm Find Mud Rescue Resurrection Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:15 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I'll take it off your hands for $350.
C'mon, c'mon, where can you make a 250% return on your investment in a week's time?
I mean, unless you're a loan shark with the Mob.

Great find. Keep us updated on the process.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story, thanks for sharing
Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Hey, I'll take it off your hands for $350.
C'mon, c'mon, where can you make a 250% return on your investment in a week's time?
I mean, unless you're a loan shark with the Mob.

Great find. Keep us updated on the process.
Well seeing as I've already put nearly $500 in fluids, parts, and tools into it, and just ordered a $245 set of timing belt tools and am about to order $250 of timing belts and rollers, I don't think I'd be returning my investment at all
Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekintosh
Doing some research on the forum here, I didn't realize people coveted manual steering so much. Is early power steering that bad? Even on my big sloppy barge, the hydraulic PS gives excellent road feedback and feels fantastic winding it through the mountains.
Really, it's just a whole other level of road feedback beyond what you get with power steering. Also, as someone who's in the middle of figuring out just how many pieces of my power steering system will need to be replaced so my engine can stop being coated in power steering fluid, it's hard to overstate how nice the simplicity is. I mean, there's basically nothing to the manual setup that CAN break, relatively speaking.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 AM
drgon
Instructor

If you really wanna see the difference, look at the PET manual for these cars. Manual rack is a single page diagram. I believe the Power unit is two, with one page being fully dedicated to parts listing. Also going manual frees up some extra power being sucked away from the motor to drive the thing. And as dmjames said, no more god awful fluid being slung around because it never, ever stays in its tubes...
Old 04-28-2017, 01:19 PM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice save. Looking forward to the updates.

Manual steering isn't too bad once you get accustomed to it. My '67 Camaro has manual steering and its fine. As others have said, the slower speeds is when you will notice it more. I find it kind of fun actually.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:18 PM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Update 4/28/17:

My dad very kindly got me an ArnnWorx timing tool kit and flywheel lock for the car, and I'm going to grudgingly have to order the full timing kit set so I have fresh rollers too. It's on this page, first item I believe. Which water pump roller do I have to measure? As this car was taken excellent care of, it's entirely possible the water pump has been swapped, so I'm not sure which to get.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:26 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Unless it has changed, general advice is to get a new water pump too. The idea being that if the pump seizes, it can take out the belt, which you see where that is going.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Unless it has changed, general advice is to get a new water pump too. The idea being that if the pump seizes, it can take out the belt, which you see where that is going.
+1 on that. They are a bit expensive, but worth not having bent valves. I was thinking it might be a bit much for your $100 car, but it's never a bad idea. Your kind of in a weird place here, due to the car sitting so long. If you can't find it's been done, if you can swing it I'd do it.

The good thing is, unlike the rollers, I doubt the water pump bearing got damaged by sitting outside, it's sealed. But you also have to take into account the internals sitting for 8 years in stagnant coolant.

If it was me, when I did the belts I'd spin that puppy and go from there. Any grinding feeling at all, and I'd replace it for sure. To be honest, I haven't see too many seized water pumps on these, but you have to take into account most people around here don't wait till it's weeping to change it. The common rule of thumb is every other belt change. So 6y/60k.

These are just guidelines of course, there are people who go much longer on maintenance, and never have problems. Like I said before, these modified schedules are just what 30 years of community experience have found to be good guidelines to keep out of trouble. Preventive maintenance at it's best. The 944 community is the most active and helpful I've ever seen, so I listen to what they have to say. it's better to spend a little more now than a lot more later. It's how these cars work!!

Also, you'll see every belt change, or every other belt change, as suggestions on the rollers. I'd say change them when you do the water pump at least. So every other bet change. But to be really safe, you can do them every belt change. Depends on how lucky you feel. LOL

These cars may be slightly more expensive than say a Chevy or Toyota on normal maintenance (if you do it yourself) but they are WAY more expensive if you don't do it. It's a labor of love. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Trekintosh
Advanced

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
+1 on that. They are a bit expensive, but worth not having bent valves. I was thinking it might be a bit much for your $100 car, but it's never a bad idea. Your kind of in a weird place here, due to the car sitting so long. If you can't find it's been done, if you can swing it I'd do it.

The good thing is, unlike the rollers, I doubt the water pump bearing got damaged by sitting outside, it's sealed. But you also have to take into account the internals sitting for 8 years in stagnant coolant.

If it was me, when I did the belts I'd spin that puppy and go from there. Any grinding feeling at all, and I'd replace it for sure. To be honest, I haven't see too many seized water pumps on these, but you have to take into account most people around here don't wait till it's weeping to change it. The common rule of thumb is every other belt change. So 6y/60k.

These are just guidelines of course, there are people who go much longer on maintenance, and never have problems. Like I said before, these modified schedules are just what 30 years of community experience have found to be good guidelines to keep out of trouble. Preventive maintenance at it's best. The 944 community is the most active and helpful I've ever seen, so I listen to what they have to say. it's better to spend a little more now than a lot more later. It's how these cars work!!

Also, you'll see every belt change, or every other belt change, as suggestions on the rollers. I'd say change them when you do the water pump at least. So every other bet change. But to be really safe, you can do them every belt change. Depends on how lucky you feel. LOL

These cars may be slightly more expensive than say a Chevy or Toyota on normal maintenance (if you do it yourself) but they are WAY more expensive if you don't do it. It's a labor of love. Better safe than sorry.
I completely agree with these guidelines. It makes perfect sense to me. It's just hard to justify spending another $250-400 on a new water pump with all the money I'm already pumping (har) into this allegedly cheap car. I know it's less now than rebuilding the top end, though, so I'll give the pump some spins and see if it feels at all off.

Update 5/2/2017

Ordered the timing and balance belts and rollers from Pelican. Their shipping to my location is awesome! Free 1-day shipping. It's pretty coooool! My dad will be in town this weekend so maybe we'll do the belts and get the car running together.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Keep us posted!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trekintosh

Update 5/2/2017

Ordered the timing and balance belts and rollers from Pelican. Their shipping to my location is awesome! Free 1-day shipping. It's pretty coooool! My dad will be in town this weekend so maybe we'll do the belts and get the car running together.
Really happy we were able to satisfy you with your order. Thank you for your purchase. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me as I am here to help. Looking forward to watching your progress.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

we are still working through our first 2.5 and need to address timing belt and such,
why do the balancer belt? is it because if it lets loose it takes out the timing belt too? Why do the rollers? Do they seize and take out the belt(s)? I'm just curious because while I believe in preventative maintenance I don't replace parts "just because" too quickly.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM
grenadiers
Advanced

Also, if you haven't already, remove the air cleaner box, and look for a rodent nest, hard to start if no air~!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:28 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jvandyke
we are still working through our first 2.5 and need to address timing belt and such,
why do the balancer belt? is it because if it lets loose it takes out the timing belt too? Why do the rollers? Do they seize and take out the belt(s)? I'm just curious because while I believe in preventative maintenance I don't replace parts "just because" too quickly.
Yes to pretty much all of those. The risk is that any of those components failing is almost certain to either shred or at least remove the timing belt, at which point it doesn't matter how new the timing belt is.

The total cost including the rollers and balance belt just isn't that much, overall, so most (myself included) see it as cheap insurance. You might save a few hundred dollars over the course of several years, at most.

Quick Reply: My $100 1983 944 Farm Find Mud Rescue Resurrection Thread