Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price opinion on 19k mile 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when I looked at it, he showed me the auto check on it, and it showed an accident in 2003 but really nothing else. I went ahead and ran a Carfax on it, and it was totaled according to them. Wouldn't the title also have to show this? At this point, I might take a pass. There's enough of them out there that I can find another super nice one that wasn't previously wrecked. It'll cost more on the front end but be way easier to sell don the road.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The title may not show it depending the state. Some states it only shows when you transfer it into your name. If it is salvaged then it is pricey, if clean titled it is a steal.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:21 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

Yeah, he said title was clean. It was originally from Indiana. Now it's in Illinois. I think back then about 4K in damage would have totaled it given values. I'm still going to pass on it. The are enough clean, accident free NAs out there. Too bad. I almost had wife convinced and when she saw that, no way. The only thing holding that car's value is its low mileage. Once it goes up, it will lose that, especially with a total loss on its history. I'll keep my eyes open for another or maybe a 928 at some point. I'm in no rush and can afford to be very picky.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:21 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

I have a feeling it is a rebuilt title or should be given this recent revelation. No thanks. I don't care how pretty it looks now. Thanks for the helpful advice!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Its too nice (and too slow) for a track car, and not nice enough to be a collectible. It is a perfect weekend cruiser. But for that money you can buy other weekend cruisers with a bit more mileage. Who cares about the miles, its not a DD.

My 1999 540i 6M was "totaled" when a truck sideswiped it and caused $6,000 of damage. I am sure there are a lot of clean title E39s with more than $15,000 of damage on the road with clean titles.

BTW, mine still has a clean title. That was part of the negotiation with the insurance company.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Swenny
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Its too nice (and too slow) for a track car, and not nice enough to be a collectible. It is a perfect weekend cruiser. But for that money you can buy other weekend cruisers with a bit more mileage. Who cares about the miles, its not a DD.

My 1999 540i 6M was "totaled" when a truck sideswiped it and caused $6,000 of damage. I am sure there are a lot of clean title E39s with more than $15,000 of damage on the road with clean titles.

BTW, mine still has a clean title. That was part of the negotiation with the insurance company.
The mileage is everything if you buy parts for,work on or pay to have it worked on. If indeed it's a low mileage car there's 32 years of mostly sitting around and rotting. If it's a high mileage vehicle then it's worth nowhere near seven,eight grand. A service history would be worth a bit more money. I think that saw 7K-8K was the winning bid. From the photos it looked as if worked was preformed on it. I had a '24S in storage for five+
​​​​​​years and the stitching in the seats came apart on its own. The car may have been totaled at a low mileage and then sat around for years until someone decided to restore it. So with that in mind,it's worth nowhere near what the asking price was. Having been totaled lowers the price significantly. But it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Swenny
The mileage is everything if you buy parts for,work on or pay to have it worked on. If indeed it's a low mileage car there's 32 years of mostly sitting around and rotting. If it's a high mileage vehicle then it's worth nowhere near seven,eight grand. A service history would be worth a bit more money. I think that saw 7K-8K was the winning bid. From the photos it looked as if worked was preformed on it. I had a '24S in storage for five+
​​​​​​years and the stitching in the seats came apart on its own. The car may have been totaled at a low mileage and then sat around for years until someone decided to restore it. So with that in mind,it's worth nowhere near what the asking price was. Having been totaled lowers the price significantly. But it's worth what someone is willing to pay.
Not sure what you are trying to say. The mileage on the eBay car is not worth much in my opinion because of the taint on the Carfax.

When I said who cares about the miles, I wasn't comparing a 20k car to a 200k car. There are plenty of 50-75k 944 NAs out there without tainted titles. All with the same rotting you described, and without tainted titles. I would rather get one of those as a cars & coffee toy than the 19k car with the bad title.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Swenny
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Not sure what you are trying to say. The mileage on the eBay car is not worth much in my opinion because of the taint on the Carfax.

When I said who cares about the miles, I wasn't comparing a 20k car to a 200k car. There are plenty of 50-75k 944 NAs out there without tainted titles. All with the same rotting you described, and without tainted titles. I would rather get one of those as a cars & coffee toy than the 19k car with the bad title.
i was referring to your comment about the mileage. I took it in another context. The car went for $8700 and not worth that amount in my opinion. I've looked at dozens of 24's/'44's with "low mileage" and they all had the same issues in common with a similar cars with high mileage. I think that one has to be an enthusiast to see the value of any given model.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

Yeah, it is true 19k mile car as the Carfax and autochheck show the mileage slowly building over the years until it got wrecked in 2003 with 14k on it. They fixed it nice, but that kills the value irregardless. Yes, there are so many other NAs out there with lower mileage 50-75k without a total loss history. It is the perfect weekend car for someone who plans on keeping it. The only thing propping up its value somewhat is the ultra low mileage. Once you start driving it regularly, the value will go down. The low mileage and resulting cosmetic condition are huge selling points, but the accident and total loss scar in its history cancels that out. This is probably a 13-14k car to the right buyer without the accident. Then I think to myself, why not spend a bit more than that for a 951?
Old 04-29-2017, 07:54 PM
Swenny
Racer

Good point!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:04 PM
GOTA944
Advanced

So the car is still available, and the title is clean and clear. I'm not sure why Carfax showed it was totaled, and autocheck does not. Is it worth a $6,500 chance? I think so given it's condition and the way it drives.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:22 AM
Duke48
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GOTA944
So the car is still available, and the title is clean and clear. I'm not sure why Carfax showed it was totaled, and autocheck does not. Is it worth a $6,500 chance? I think so given it's condition and the way it drives.
Do you have some pictures?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:17 AM
GOTA944
Advanced

Originally Posted by Duke48
Do you have some pictures?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/1985-Porsche-944/372090496377?hash=item56a2526579%3Ag%3ALJsAAOSwCNdZy7kX

See listing. My only fear is buying it and after I register it, the title is branded rebuild or salvage. Has not happened yet.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:45 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What are you afraid of? For $6500 it is a no-brainer. If you're buying the car to flip it or sell it in a couple of years then an NA 944 is the wrong place to be.

If you want to buy this car to enjoy, I don't see a downside. So it was in an accident, if you know the particulars of the repairs or get a PPI, who cares? Buy it and drive it!

Let's be honest, you've been tracking it for 6 months, you want it. Do your due diligence and have it checked out by a competent Porsche shop and drive it every chance you get.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Swenny
Racer

Default Danger danger

That would be enough for me to hesitate. These cars are easy to fall in love with. Remember that the odometer gear on these beasts is plastic and time is not friendly to them. Look for signs of wear and tear, accident damage (paint over spray,bondo) and do a compression and or a leak down test to let you know the basic condition of the engine. Look under it if you can looking for damage,leaks,missing bolts,brackets(jack it up or take it to a 944 mechanic) Things rot on cars that sit around. I have one in my garage rotting.
The price dropped to $5.5K so people aren't believing the sales pitch. Just remember, there will be other"finds" out there if this one gets away.

Quick Reply: Price opinion on 19k mile 944