Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Transaxle Era

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

There is an old porsche promo video somewhere on youtube, I tried really hard to find it but no luck.

it calls the cars transaxles in that video. I'll post it if I find it.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

I think that the word "transaxle" first came out in the motoring press in the early 60's...when the Corvair started making an appearance. I know that Hewland started modifying VW transaxles back then. However, VW may have been responsible for that. By the mid to late 60's it was in common use in the motoring press.Just a side note. I know this because I was trying to cobble some parts together for a formula car that I was building...
Old 04-21-2017, 09:13 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Found it. @7:13 the narrator states that the car is designed by the ''transaxle principle'' which means engine at the front, gearbox at the back.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Found it. @7:13 the narrator states that the car is designed by the ''transaxle principle'' which means engine at the front, gearbox at the back...
I think that narrator is simply using the term as it is commonly known for all cars not just ours. Inside the Porsche community we all refer to these (924/944/928/968) cars as transaxles and what neunfünfeins is trying to determine is when the factory started to use the term gererally to describe them that way.

I like to believe someone at Porsche did come up with the term in the 80's to differentiate the cars from all the other (911) variants they made at the time and the reason he used the term was that it was used in the past to refer to other front engine rear trans cars. As these were the only transaxles in the Porsche range of the modern era, the term stuck and became a common way to refer to our cars.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:14 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
I think that narrator is simply using the term as it is commonly known for all cars not just ours. Inside the Porsche community we all refer to these (924/944/928/968) cars as transaxles and what neunfünfeins is trying to determine is when the factory started to use the term gererally to describe them that way.

I like to believe someone at Porsche did come up with the term in the 80's to differentiate the cars from all the other (911) variants they made at the time and the reason he used the term was that it was used in the past to refer to other front engine rear trans cars. As these were the only transaxles in the Porsche range of the modern era, the term stuck and became a common way to refer to our cars.
Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself Mike!

Cool video Voith
Old 04-23-2017, 01:57 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
The word 'transaxle' also appears in some period 911/912/914 literature, but that doesn't make those cars any more or less worthy of being called 'Transaxles' than these, either.

Again.. the distinction I was making is when the 924/928/944/968 are referred to as 'Transaxles' in the absence of any other contextual description about the drivetrain.
If there is an example of period literature that does so, then we should consider that a finding.

The word 'transaxle' simply appearing in the literature - in the same context as all the other words like "front motor", "rear gearbox", etc. - has already been posted here, and is kind of missing the point of the discussion. Which is, how did this whole notion of these cars being singled out as 'Transaxles' - and no others - get started in the first place.

That's why it's a curiosity (to me, at least).
Just got a 86 Turbo brochure in the mail. I'm on a collecting kick. Anyway, in the introduction, here is a quote from Ferry Porsche

" Today Porsche drivers continue to be enthusiast about our rear-engine models... And there is a growing following for our newer transaxle vehicles. I myself often find it hard to choose which of my Porsches to take!"

So it's plain he thinks of the front engine cars as transaxle, as opposed to the normal rear engined Porsche. He's using the term in place of front engined and water-cooled.

In context with the rest of the introduction, it's clear, for him at least, transaxle MEANS water-cooled front engine.

I'd be willing to bet, in 86 at least, that was the terminology bring used in-house by Porsche.

In fact, he kind of seems to be making excuses about why a front engine, water cooled Porsche is ok... LOL. Like for real, I got the feeling he was being defensive!
Old 04-23-2017, 02:09 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

And just to be clear....

"In the automotive field, a transaxle is a major mechanical component that combines the functionality of the transmission, the differential, and associated components of the driven axle into one integrated assembly."

So, isn't that just about every Porsche.... Ever?

So, we can see, at least by 86, Porsche themselves was singling out the front engine cars as transaxle, and using it to differentiate them from rear engine cars.... That were also transaxle. Doesn't explain why tho, unless it's a translation thing. But there you have it.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:24 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
...here is a quote from Ferry Porsche

" Today Porsche drivers continue to be enthusiast about our rear-engine models... And there is a growing following for our newer transaxle vehicles. I myself often find it hard to choose which of my Porsches to take!"
I'd be willing to bet, in 86 at least, that was the terminology bring used in-house by Porsche.
Hallelujah! That's as 'divine' a source as it gets, and definitely a finding. Congratulations and thanks for posting
Henceforth, I shall consider this whole Transaxle business to be officially 'a thing' at least as early as 1986.

In fact, he kind of seems to be making excuses about why a front engine, water cooled Porsche is ok... LOL. Like for real, I got the feeling he was being defensive!
Yeah Well, certainly by 1986, the backlash from the aircooled rear-engined purists had long peaked and was no doubt well-understood in the halls of Porsche, so I'm sure it was an established policy of marketing damage control by then.

And just to be clear....
"In the automotive field, a transaxle is a major mechanical component that combines the functionality of the transmission, the differential, and associated components of the driven axle into one integrated assembly."

So, isn't that just about every Porsche.... Ever?
Um...wasn't that covered already? Kinda how this got started. See post #3, page 1.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:58 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
Um...wasn't that covered already? Kinda how this got started. See post #3, page 1.
Just recapping.

Quick Reply: The Transaxle Era