Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like you got a great car for the money.

Don't worry about the paint too much - you didn't notice at time of purchase, no-one else will either. Get the mechanical stuff current and drive the snot out of it.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:33 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
Annnnnnndddddd a second WTF moment today....

For me, the 'WTF moment' in this picture is not a missing exhaust stud.
It's the 31 year-old fuel lines.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

A small question about the defroster tabs. How do you intend to fix them to the glass and still get conductivity to the defroster grid? My tab came off while replacing the rear support lifts on the hatch. Only thing I can figure out what to do is use a silver epoxy that is electrically conductive. I don't want to solder to the grid and crack the rear glass..comments? Thanks in advance. Tiger 03447
Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

You were right to think you shouldn't try to solder it (if it's even 'solderable', that is).
Conductive epoxy doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:36 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
For me, the 'WTF moment' in this picture is not a missing exhaust stud.
It's the 31 year-old fuel lines.
They are ordered, they will be done soon! One of the first things I asked the PO.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
A small question about the defroster tabs. How do you intend to fix them to the glass and still get conductivity to the defroster grid? My tab came off while replacing the rear support lifts on the hatch. Only thing I can figure out what to do is use a silver epoxy that is electrically conductive. I don't want to solder to the grid and crack the rear glass..comments? Thanks in advance. Tiger 03447
Mine were not unattached from the glass, just the struts didn't have the connections for them. I'm sure someone has encounter this and has a fix!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:06 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

They are ordered, they will be done soon! One of the first things I asked the PO.
944 flambé is never pretty when the smoke clears.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:03 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Things accomplished last few days:

Non-working brights - Fixed
White face gauges - Removed
Iffy cigarette lighter - Replaced
Dim/non-existent dash lights - Fixed (and LED replaced)
No air in footwell - fixed
Missing "Rose screen" - Replaced
Non-working LED clock - Replaced
Stock Steering wheel - Re-installed
Non-autocanceling turn signals - Better, but not 100%
Jumpy and non-correct reading volt meter - not fixed and now more gauges have issues.
Broken odometer gear - Fixed

The Details:

For the dash, I started off with this...

And at night it looked like this...

So I removed it, and found that someone had already tried to fix it once. They had used some kind of brush on stuff, it didn't work that well. Here's what they looked like...

I got some non-acetone finger nail polish remover, and got them all cleaned up. I had picked up some "Looking Glass" spray to try out. I then masked off the "clear" side like so....

Then I sprayed the heck out of them. Following the instructions on the can, I did 5 coats. I then waited about an hour and did 5 more.

It turned out it wasn't enough. The flat part was fine, but the angled bits on the end where the light is, and the end that reflects up, both were too thin. You could still see through it when held up to the sun. I think it was because I had them laying flat on the table, with the masked side down. I've found in the past spray paint doesn't like to stick well where there are right angles.

I re-masked them, and went back to town. I found if I tried to hold them while spraying the masking separated from the "clear" side, so that wasn't going to work. You really need to leave them on the table masked side down. In the end I did about 25 coats. It finally seemed to work, here they are after removing the masking tape..

They turned out really, really mirror like and shiny!

And here was the final result! Before and after! With the white face gauges removed! (I'm not a fan, PO did it. There's a whole story about that by the way) The picture really didn't do it justice, but you get the idea.

Compared too...

To be.Continued.....
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

While I was in there, I also replaced all the lights I could with LED. I had some issues with good connections, and some of them don't come on except in very certain situations. (Low fuel for example) I think I got them all but 8. Pretty much everything I could get to light up. Some of them were maybe burned out, not sure exactly. Since these are polarity sensitive, you have to have it right, so you need it on to know! (Steve at 944online said you have to follow the printed circuit's to figure it out, but many were hidden. I gave up on that and just did trial and error. ) I've got 8 left over. But better than nothing.

I also really had issues with good connections. These LED's don't grip as well as the originals, even after bending the pins. Had to file/sand the printed circuit's connection pads, and that seemed to do wonders.

Moving on, I replaced the cigarette lighter as well. My original was really rusted, and I had issues with charging phones and the like. You had to play around with it forever, then it would often vibrate enough to lose connection after a bit. I chose an aftermarket from 944online. You had to trim the plastic cage on the end to get it to slide in. And I had to rig up some wiring. Also had to end up JB Welding a bit, I broke one of the plastic tabs taking the retaining ring off. I also replaced the "Rose Vent" I was missing, and got a rebuilt clock! I really dig the clock! Drove me nuts it didn't work!! Anyway, here's the before and after:

Lastly, I got these.

I'm not 100% happy with the color match (or lack there of) but they will work! In average light it looks pretty close. I'm really happy with the fit!

I also really like the retaining straps, to keep them from moving around. I'm hoping they will fade over time, and match better. But whatever. Still like em!

I just looked, thought I had gotten Linen, but I guess I ordered Bamboo. Oops. I guess that's what I get for shopping 4-5 different sites. Got confused. Oh well.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 05-05-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:17 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

This was a great upgrade! My original was only partial leather, and had a hole on the front side of the stick. I couldn't see it when driving, but I knew it was there!! This is the single best thing I've done yet to make the interior look sharper!!

To be honest reinstalling the stock wheel, removing the white face gauges, the scripted floor mats, and now this shifter boot has really just brought the car together for me.

Then add in the working clock, Rose vent replacement, and new lighter and I have to say it's like a new car inside. Next up is some new button decals. Every button in the car has the markings wore off. From over cleaning I think, I've had that issue in the past. That stuff rubs off, I've had the armor all cleaning wipes remove all my button markings on a older car! I think I've seen someone on eBay selling new button decals, I'll try and find them and report back with the results!

Also fixed my rear defrost. After tons of testing wiring, I discovered the fuse was just plane missing!!! I felt really stupid but at least now it's fixed!
Old 05-07-2017, 04:15 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Beautiful car and really nice repairs you are doing!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:00 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Beautiful car and really nice repairs you are doing!
Thanks Noah, she's coming along!
Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Time for some fluff

His brothers former car and the 951. His brother has since sold it and now has a Z06.
I fixed the sign...
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2017, 08:20 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtisr
I fixed the sign...
Tis but a flesh wound!

Old 05-07-2017, 09:22 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Tis but a flesh wound!

You silly k-nigh-it! +1
Old 05-10-2017, 12:31 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

So, after about 3 weeks, and about 1000ish miles, I can say that this is one really fun car to drive! I find excuses all the time to take it out. I just can't get over this 5 speed! It's by far the best I've ever driven. The gearing is just prefect!

As a double edged sword, almost every time I go to the gas station or the store, someone stops me to talk about it. I have similar experiences with my Trans Am's. But it's literally every time I go out in the Porsche. I got into a 45 min conversation the other day with a guy... LOL The Misses was not pleased.

Quick Reply: 951 Dreams.... A rennlist story!