Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick turn signal question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 04:11 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick turn signal question???

So am I safe to assume that if my blinkers no longer blink, and just stay on constant when they are activated, that my blinker relay has gone bad?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:24 PM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's one possibility. I think bad grounds can cause weird things to happen as well.

My relay (it's actually a flasher) was on the fritz this summer and I replaced it with one from Autozone for about $11. My symptoms were that the turn signal would not come on at all. Well, the new relay fixed that, but exhibited some symptoms of its own. It would blink faster on one side than the other. Oddly enough, I put the old relay back in and everything has been working fine since.

I suspect the original problem was related to the heat, so I will have to figure it out next summer. The guy at the store said my wiring must be messed up because there's only one circuit in the flasher. But I think my wiring is fine because it flashes perfectly with the old flasher (except when it decides not to flash at all).

I think you should get the cheap relay and see what happens. If it doesn't fix it, you can always return the flasher. If it starts flashing, but at different speeds, you have the same problem as me. I suspect the answer is to get a more heavy duty flasher (the replacement I got was half the size and felt cheap, but the terminals and numbers matched up.)

(Edit: Actually now that I think about it, my initial symptom was like yours. The light on the dash would not come on, but the signal itself would come on and stay solid, not flashing.) Good luck.

Quick Reply: Quick turn signal question???