Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back home again in Stuttgart - 85.5 944 resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:17 PM
alexgsim
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tspangle, you're an inspiration! I bought an '85.5 almost 2 years ago, and haven't been able to do beyond very basic maintenance (fluids and bulbs and such), as I live in a city and there's only street parking. This weekend I'm going to take a trip up to my parents' and inspect my suspension, see what needs work. Lifted the car a couple days ago and there were a couple things slightly loose. Doesn't affect handling yet, but it will at some point (thankfully I do less than 700 miles per year). I knew the front suspension, among other things would need attention when I bought the car and I think this weekend will give me the opportunity to address a couple things before I attempt a complete restoration in a few years. I would much rather fix everything under there in one go now, but logistically it's tricky for me here... Once I move out of my apartment and get my own house I'll be able to do as I please, when I please
Old 03-29-2020, 12:04 AM
jjeffries
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Excellent thread, which should be required reading for anyone casually thinking, “944’s are cheap, I think I’ll buy one and fix it up”.

These stories are all quite similar (said Cptn. Obvious) because the cars all seem to need the same stuff and it isn’t inexpensive.

I’m doing an 87 924S; thread on Pelican, where you’ll find much familiar ground is being covered.

thanks for taking the time to organize and document your work.

John/CT
Old 03-29-2020, 12:11 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tspangle
In the two years the car was down, I heard enough horror stories about failing fuel lines and fires that I decided to take care of that issue before anything else:
How did you end up choosing the rennbay lines versus other stainless steel options? How has the quality been since you installed these RB lines?
Old 03-29-2020, 11:46 PM
cobyryan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is great! awesome work! it inspired me to stop being such a wuss, and tend to some things on my 86' Turbo
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM
tspangle
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, everyone! I'll admit I haven't done a ton to the car since the fall. I did get a new regulator/motor, so the passenger's side window is working again. Tried fixing the rattling driver's side, but I seem to be missing the window track that's supposed to be part of the door. So for now I'm living with it.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:04 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Lovely spring weekend here in Michigan, so I decided to get the car out. First things first, let's change the oil!

Well, crap. FYI, the coolant looks fine. What are the odds that this is oil cooler seals and I can get away with NOT having to pull the head?
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Last night I did a compression check, 180psi on all four cylinders. I don't know what these engines are supposed to be at, but I'm at least encouraged by the fact that they were all the same. So maybe, just maybe, my head gasket is OK?

In that spirit, I've decided to replace the oil cooler seals. First thing is to remove the exhaust manifold. After soaking the fasteners first in acetone/ATF mix, then with PB Blaster, I tried the first one:

Of course. I don't have the parts yet, so I hosed everything down again with PB Blaster, and when I get the parts, I'll take the hot wrench and try again. I really, REALLY don't want to break off a stud in the head.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

If it makes you feel any better... some of the exhaust bolts I've dealt with on my car...

For more of this, click here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dadVRxSF9YMm93

IMMEDIATELY go and get yourself a bunch of small-diameter drill bits. Lots of them. Left-hand thread if you can find it
The following users liked this post:
doolittle (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:42 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
IMMEDIATELY go and get yourself a bunch of small-diameter drill bits. Lots of them. Left-hand thread if you can find it
Oh, I have those, every type of bolt extractor, breaker, grabber, etc. I've been working on cars in Michigan for 25+ years, I've accumulated quite a collection!
Old 05-21-2020, 05:32 AM
dannyzabolotny
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see this thread is still going! I actually commented on it in like 2017, I totally forgot about that so it was a funny surprise to see my old post. I sold my 944S a while back because I didn't know too much about working on them back then. I regret doing that, especially with how hard it is to find another 944S for cheap (I paid $1000 for mine a few years ago). Still, I'm itching for another 944 of some kind, and reading this thread just gets me amped up to get one. In the last few years I've worked on a bunch of 944's and 928's at my shop, so I'm a lot more familiar with them nowadays.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:16 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Well, almost two months later, and it's fixed! Ended up getting the oil cooler seal kit from Pelican. Had plenty of struggles with the exhaust, and other household tasks, and the fact that I simply couldn't be bothered, but today I spent the whole day wrenching, got it back together and running, and it appears that all is good. I filled the crankcase with a 50/50 mix of oil and ATF to clean out any remaining coolant, ran it for about 20 minutes to get all warmed up, then dumped it. No evidence of coolant. Hooray!

But that's it. I'm tired of all the wrenching. I'm just not in a "project car" place right now. So as soon as I can get it all cleaned up and some pics taken, this thing is going up for sale.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:29 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tspangle
Well, almost two months later, and it's fixed! Ended up getting the oil cooler seal kit from Pelican. Had plenty of struggles with the exhaust, and other household tasks, and the fact that I simply couldn't be bothered, but today I spent the whole day wrenching, got it back together and running, and it appears that all is good. I filled the crankcase with a 50/50 mix of oil and ATF to clean out any remaining coolant, ran it for about 20 minutes to get all warmed up, then dumped it. No evidence of coolant. Hooray!

But that's it. I'm tired of all the wrenching. I'm just not in a "project car" place right now. So as soon as I can get it all cleaned up and some pics taken, this thing is going up for sale.
Too bad - sounds like you are really there in all material respects, you should be able to just drive and enjoy for a while. Wrenching for me (as long as it's not too involved) is kind of therapy. Serious stuff is what I am waiting on until I retire in a few years.
voodu3 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 12:24 PM
tspangle
Advanced

If anyone is interested, the car is now for sale.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:29 PM
tspangle
Advanced

Sold.
voodu3 (07-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Back home again in Stuttgart - 85.5 944 resurrection