Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1988 944S Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 AM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up My 1988 944S Resurrection

Hello Rennlisters,

I recently acquired a 1988 944S in fair/good condition. It needs some TLC but it's definitely not too far gone. I thought I'd post my work progress here and welcome comments, questions, and suggestions.

This is my first Porsche, but I've been wanting one for over 30 years. I have some experience working on cars and I'm a licensed aviation tech (A&P).

I looked hard for an 'S' model (for lots of reasons) and found this one owner car here in Maryland. I plan to use the car for auto cross, DE, and occasionally around town.

I bought the car just before Christmas 2016, but I've only done a few things so far due to work and weather. I joined Rennlist right after Christmas and started doing some homework as the car came with only a few clues as to current maintenance status.

Overall, the car is in pretty good shape. The paint is rough and there are a couple of very small dents, but it's good enough for now and I'd prefer to focus on mechanical repairs and I'll consider a respray later. The only modification I see is the JVC head unit which sounds terrible.

I found a recent (2016) successful emissions test, so I feel comfortable it will pass again when I got for inspection. I found a maintenance sticker under the hood that reports the timing belt had been changed at 115k miles. It has about 126k now.

After the test drive and the drive home, I found a few things inop. The air conditioner does not blow cold. I'm considering the ac delete, but not sure yet. There are two lights out - a corner marker and turn signal. The rear speakers (back seat side walls) are blown, but the fronts appear to have been updated (but they still sounds terrible). The dash lights are super dim. The clock works but does not light up with the dash lights. The shifter leather is torn otherwise the interior is nearly mint (off-white carpets and floor mats have a few light stains). The front bumper is pushed in slightly on the passenger side and there's a tiny dent in the fender. The driver's bumper pad has rusted bolts and has started to bulge and push away from the bumper. The hood struts don't hold the hood and the hatch struts don't hold the hatch.

The owner reported that last inspection revealed that it would need rear brakes soon.

I've spent more time searching for and ordering parts than actually turning wrenches som far, but here's a few things on my short list of repairs, mods, and updates:

1. Marker lights and turn signal
2. Rear brakes (maybe)
3. Fuel lines
4. Cam chain tensioner pads (both)
5. Oil and filter change
6. Air filter change
7. Spark plugs change
8. Dash lights repair/update
9. Bumper pad replace
10. WHEELS!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

This is not on my priority list, but I try to squeeze in little projects during the work week when I can.

Before and after pics of center caps from my 15" phone dials.

I'm not certain if I'll keep these rims or try to sell/trade them. My preference is for a set of 968 rims - the 16" five spoke ones, but these are kinda hard to find so far.

From all my reading so far, I'm not sure my I have 15" rims at all. All indications are that I should have 16" phone dials as original for a 1988 car. I don't hate the phone dials, but the 16" wheels give me better track tire options and my budget limits wheel options to used.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Regardless if I keep these or sell/trade, I will clean these up first. Here's the set of center caps all done:

Some P21S wheel cleaner and some elbow grease - one wheel done, three to go.

More to come...
The following users liked this post:
Desert Duck (12-09-2022)
Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Default Fuel recommendation

Before I bought this car I researched what fuel is required. I found all sorts of answers including lots of, "my car runs great on X" and "I only buy the best for my baby."

I did finally read some justifiable evidence (high compression) that premium fuel is required for the 944S. Strangely, I found this sticker inside the fuel door suggesting that 87 octane regular (91 RON) can be used.

Don't do it! The owners manual clearly states that the 944S and Turbo require at least 90 octane (95 RON). I wouldn't rely on the knock sensors to retard timing except for zombie apocalypse-like emergencies.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Your pic shows (R+M)/2 = 91 not R=91 so it's saying use 91 in the USA which is like EU 95 octane.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
Your pic shows (R+M)/2 = 91 not R=91 so it's saying use 91 in the USA which is like EU 95 octane.
Yes, you're correct. I'm such a space cadet.

I got some parts packages today and pulled the air cleaner cover to change the filter. Yes, those are sunflower seed shells - three large fistfuls.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Pretty sure the S takes premium.

Beware of 16" rims. we have a set of four 16x7 rims from a 944S2 on our 88 S. They didn't give the stock brakes enough air on the track. We now track it with the phone dials.

I had staggered 968 rims on my S2, and had a set four 16x8 on my 951S. They are the best looking rims on a 944 IMHO.

AS for the timing belt, the manual was written over 30 years ago. rubber technology has not been static. Enter the discussion at your peril, do what you think is best.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:22 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

You definitely want to use the best fuel available. When knock is sensed the ECU in the S model retards the timing and is slow to return to normal timing hampering performance, this flaw was corrected with the S2 ECU. Those center caps look nice, keep up the good work. Where are you located here in the People's Republic of Maryland? Out here in Western Maryland we have great 944 parts recycler.

Last edited by jhowell371; 02-04-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:58 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Pretty sure the S takes premium.

Beware of 16" rims. we have a set of four 16x7 rims from a 944S2 on our 88 S. They didn't give the stock brakes enough air on the track. We now track it with the phone dials.

I had staggered 968 rims on my S2, and had a set four 16x8 on my 951S. They are the best looking rims on a 944 IMHO.

AS for the timing belt, the manual was written over 30 years ago. rubber technology has not been static. Enter the discussion at your peril, do what you think is best.
That is some useful info about the wheels. I have been looking for a set of 968 wheels for the track. I agree, they look great. I've seen some 16" CS wheels that look nice too, but I had not considered a brake cooling problem.

It's really hard to know how long it's been since the timing belt has been changed. Overall, the car seems in very good shape and well taken care of, but the PO was elderly and may not have been driving it very much over the past decade. It wouldn't surprise me if the timing belt was over 10 years old.

I've completed a few items on my Top Ten List, so I may be putting the timing belt and water pump on there soon.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
You definitely want to use the best fuel available. When knock is sensed the ECU in the S model retards the timing and is slow to return to normal timing hampering performance, this flaw was corrected with the S2 ECU. Those center caps look nice, keep up the good work. Where are you located here in the People's Republic of Maryland? Out here in Western Maryland we have great 944 parts recycler.
Yes, I've resigned to running premium only.

I'm in Edgewater, MD - just a few miles south of Annapolis. I'll be making regular trips out to Western Maryland this year for track days and such. What's the name of that 944 recycler?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

I finished a few things this week and today including the cam chain tensioner pads. Then I spent hours sanding the valve cover. There's a small place nearby that does powder coating and hydrographics. I'm going to check that out o Monday. At the very least, I'm going to have them bead-blast the rest of the valve cover for me. I could spend a few more hours sanding or have the bead-blaster clean up the crevices in just a few minutes.

1. Marker lights and turn signal - COMPLETE
2. Rear brakes (maybe)
3. Fuel lines - PENDING
4. Cam chain tensioner pads (both) - COMPLETE
5. Oil and filter change
6. Air filter change - COMPLETE
7. Spark plugs change - COMPLETE
8. Dash lights repair/update
9. Bumper pad replace
10. WHEELS! - COMPLETE

Old 02-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

The cam chain tensioner pads were easier than I thought. I followed instructions I found here on Rennlist (Thank you Izzy Does It).

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...ent-944s2.html

My old pads didn't look too bad - no cracks or missing pieces and the grooves were not very deep. It's crazy how expensive this pads are to replace. The top pad is cheap (less than $20) but the set is over $100 everywhere I could find it.

You can see here the tensioner with the original pads still installed. I used a 7/64 drill bit to hold the tensioner in compression during removal and re-installation. The top pad just slides into place, but the bottom pad is held by two small self-tapping screws. The bottom pad also has a specific orientation (there's a little foot on one side), so take note of how the original pad is attached before removing it.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

My parts guy is John Grimes at http://www.porsche944usedparts.com/a...roducts?page=2. I'm only about 25-30 minutes from Summit Point racetrack. Let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood. I sent you my cell number in a PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Braymond
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
My parts guy is John Grimes at http://www.porsche944usedparts.com/a...roducts?page=2. I'm only about 25-30 minutes from Summit Point racetrack. Let me know if you're ever in the neighborhood. I sent you my cell number in a PM.
JHowell, I'll definitely give you a call and stop for a visit. Between the bike and now the car, I'll be a frequent visitor at Summit/Shenny this year.

I got my valve cover back from powder coating today. Now I can put everything back together this weekend.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Roka
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work on the valve cover.

I have an '87 S that I've been resurrecting for the last 8 months, but based on your very short to-do list, it looks like yours was in a lot better shape than mine. It seems that every rubber hose or plastic connector I touch disintegrates immediately so I find myself building a new car one hose at a time. My wife is smart enough to have stopped asking how much this "hobby car" has cost us.

How did you paint the inlays in the center caps?

Quick Reply: My 1988 944S Resurrection