Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undrivable after installing NA-Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

I remembered something this morning...
The MAF sensor needs to be "clocked" a certain way. Because there is a 135* bend pulling air through the MAF the air on the "inside" of the curve is moving at a different speed as the "outside".

I remember it making a nice difference when I flipped the sensor around as it could read the air better.

which way is your sensor "pointing"?

The following users liked this post:
944ajt (03-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
I remembered something this morning...
The MAF sensor needs to be "clocked" a certain way. Because there is a 135* bend pulling air through the MAF the air on the "inside" of the curve is moving at a different speed as the "outside".

I remember it making a nice difference when I flipped the sensor around as it could read the air better.

which way is your sensor "pointing"?
180 degrees out of yours. I'll flip it around and give it a shot.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:27 AM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, I have 2 944s and could not get 2 kits running on either cars, huge back and forth with Lindsey racing and I'm out 700.00. They kept saying it was my cars, which both run fine with a miller maf kit and the stock afm set-up, total BS.

Last edited by AZ520; 01-14-2017 at 03:28 AM. Reason: who cares
Old 01-14-2017, 01:42 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Well..you'd think the kits would all be made the same, right?
Having been a 944 wrench and seen a few million cars over the years I would tend to agree that its individual cars conditions that may be the difference.

ALthough I suppose being a newish product still it's got bugs..
Old 01-14-2017, 03:34 PM
MistaX
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZ520
Good luck, I have 2 944s and could not get 2 kits running on either cars, huge back and forth with Lindsey racing and I'm out 700.00. They kept saying it was my cars, which both run fine with a miller maf kit and the stock afm set-up, total BS.
Care to elaborate how the cars ran with the Lindsey kit? And what troubleshooting steps they had you do?

I'm not ready to throw in the towel and blame the kit. I have enough reason to believe it's the car, just have to figure out why.
It'd be nice if Rogue was still active here.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM
AZ520
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a wideband on one car and just a tip of the throttle ran way too rich, 9-11 popping, cutting out, backfiring, plugs fouling, too rich. Without the kit installed both cars run fine, what else you want to know, its simple. It was a huge ordeal an I am really tied of the whole mess, just a heads up, I had a bad experience and good luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're wasting your time trying to polish the turd that is motronic. Sell the kit and buy a microsquirt...
Old 01-15-2017, 04:39 PM
MistaX
Instructor

10inHg @ idle. Looking like a vacuum leak. Bought all the crap to make the cap to pressurize the intake. Guess the smoke method isn't reliable.

Confusing though, popping the dipstick out makes the idle raise, which was a factor in me being so confident that it isn't a vacuum leak. Should be along the FPR lines then.

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
You're wasting your time trying to polish the turd that is motronic. Sell the kit and buy a microsquirt...
Once there's a good plug and play that isn't a couple grand I'm in. I'm not interested in having the car down for months (again).
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MistaX
Once there's a good plug and play that isn't a couple grand I'm in. I'm not interested in having the car down for months (again).
A day spent Live mapping (N/A & Turbo) can be cost effective especially like me if you change the Cam, but finding people that know how to do this is the difficulty!

I was lucky as we have a Top 944 Tuning Guru here in the UK, who advised the
30 year old Stock Bosch ECU, AFM & ignition could all be tuned.

Over 6 hours whilst the car was in Motion Rolling on the Rollers...Not only was +26bhp & 30Ft Lbs torque found, but both figures were made higher in the lower Rev ranges.

The car starts from hot and cold, Idles and runs perfect.

R
http://924srr27l.co.uk/wp-content/up...924srr27L-.pdf
Old 01-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

vape smoke AFAIK is not smoke so it might not work well for this application.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MistaX
VEMS plug and play, standalone-level tunability, all brand-new components about $1300 shipped...

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
vape smoke AFAIK is not smoke so it might not work well for this application.
Vape smoke?
May as well just call him a d-bag lol
Old 01-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I guess I do not know the stereotypical implications of vaping but OP may just not have gotten results from a smoke test... because he did not use smoke. Water vapor might not make the trip through the system intact so you can see it coming out the leak the way smoke does (or I think the way mineral oil vapor does).

-J.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:27 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 924srr27l
A day spent Live mapping (N/A & Turbo) can be cost effective especially like me if you change the Cam, but finding people that know how to do this is the difficulty!

I was lucky as we have a Top 944 Tuning Guru here in the UK, who advised the
30 year old Stock Bosch ECU, AFM & ignition could all be tuned.

Over 6 hours whilst the car was in Motion Rolling on the Rollers...Not only was +26bhp & 30Ft Lbs torque found, but both figures were made higher in the lower Rev ranges.

The car starts from hot and cold, Idles and runs perfect.

http://924srr27l.co.uk/wp-content/up...924srr27L-.pdf
There is honestly nothing impressive about what your guy did. 9/10 chance he used TunerPro RT or something extremely similar...no black voodoo magic in live tuning the DME. You are still polishing a turd and objectively would have gotten better results with a better ECU...but I'm not interested in getting into that argument with you again.

VEMS is a nice bit of kit for the price. nothing bad to say about it.

A microsquirt is cheaper and "better" in that it doesnt use the crappy factory crank pickups and lets you delete the distributor and go COP ignition. No reason your car would be down for more than a week at most to install a micro, I've literally spelled out every possible facet in a 10+ page guide with pictures and posted free tunes for anyone to download and run.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd add that you CAN use the factory sensors, but you know what's cool? Not having to deal with gapping them blindly, not having to evolve tiny Trump hands to access them, having 1 cheap sensor versus 2 that are Bosch parts, having less of a reason to work over the holes in the bellhousing, and being able to pull the bellhousing without wrestling with them. With that said nothing is really wrong with the stock pickups, they're just a product of the most economical/efficient solution for Porsche.

VEMS can also do all the same tricks as MS. But I really don't think MS is that much work...it seems intimidating, but you really shouldn't be playing with tunes and aftermarket ECUs if wiring up 10-15 inputs/outputs is out of bounds.

Roger's setup is the product of severe dedication and stubbornness, it turned out great. The cam without a doubt accounts for a good chunk of those gains...and the tuning wasn't left untouched as many people with aftermarket cams seem to think is fine.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
There is honestly nothing impressive about what your guy did. 9/10 chance he used TunerPro RT or something extremely similar...no black voodoo magic in live tuning the DME. You are still polishing a turd and objectively would have gotten better results with a better ECU...but I'm not interested in getting into that argument with you again.

Oh !

You've no idea what he does and how he does it, otherwise you too could be well respected, successful and in high demand tuning engines, as opposed to handing out jibes with your favourite insulting word "turd".

There's plenty of people on here and worldwide Doug that would not say no to an increase in N/A Engine power with +40bhp from factory figures.

It's Impressive and you are clearly being rude.

I look forward to hearing the outcome if the OP can get this MAF issue found and the car running correctly, and what any differences there may be? and a power figure would also be interesting should he dyno the car.

R

Quick Reply: Undrivable after installing NA-Tune