Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing motor mounts and *SNAP*!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:37 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installing motor mounts and *SNAP*!

I recently replaced the motor mounts with Meyle brand mounts. I knew they would be replacing them soon, but not this soon! The job has taken much longer than I anticipated and probably have 8 hours total with disassembling, aligning, cleaning etc. Im torquing the bottom 17mm bolts of the MM to 48ft-lbs. Left side torqued, move to right side of the car. I begin tightening and the bolt never feels like its tightening up. It was like the bolt was free wheeling in the mount. Keep turning and *SNAP!*. The bolt breaks and it looks like the threads are stretched. I went to other references on the web and check torque spec. It looks like the author incorrectly called out 48ftlbs when it should have been 48Nm (or 35ftlbs). Crap. I over torqued but it was only +13ftlbs. Complete bolt failure? Really?

I am going to see if I can take these back. The OEM mounts are going in regardless. I dont think a bolt would fail like this with 30% more torque. Just doesnt seem right. I told a friend that I felt bad about putting in a MM that had know longevity issues, but now Im learning the hard way.... Sucks... I guess I can look at it as Id rather have this fail now, then a few months from now. I bet that bolt wouldnt have held up to the engine vibration and torque.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:43 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Look how those threads were stretching from <48 ft-lbs. You think i was hitting it with an impact wrench at 150ftlbs...
Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, I have installed aftermarket (I think same brand) in my S with no issues. I just used the torque specs from Lindsey.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/TORQUESPEC.html

Not sure why the text is white on white background on my browser though.

Update: They fixed their site after I pointed it out.

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 11-16-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:36 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Good news is that Tom at TC garage is refunding these and ordering OEMs. This reminds me of the time when a harbor freight drill bit unwound on me. Wonder if the metal is from the same chinese supplier responsible for the failing steel bolts on the bay bridge!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:04 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
I dont think a bolt would fail like this with 30% more torque. Just doesnt seem right.
Sure it would. 30% is a lot, especially for not a TTY or high-grade fastener.
You exceeded the yield of the material, so it began stretching instead of getting tighter. Next time you''ll recognize that feeling as a warning sign.
Whatever issues the Meyle mounts have, this wasn't the fault of the fastener.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:23 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

I disagree. the torque never increased so I wasn't close to 30% over the torque. the othe side handled 48ft lbs just fine.

​​​​We can agree to disagree, but let this be a warning to anyone buying these mounts. they have a 2015 production date. Maybe quality is diminishing? They look exactly like URO & we know the quality reputation those parts gave! I doubt the steel is not even grade 5. grade 8 or 10 is standard for automotive. I would think the vibration of the engine will quickly stretch these like wet noodles.

for my own edification I'll go to home Depot and buy this bolt size in the different grades and take to failure. I bet the grade 5 yields like this north of 100 ftlbs.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:46 PM
porscharu
Pro

Would you expect the 155 ft/lb crank bolt to be able to withstand 215 ft/lb? Just FYI they are the same mounts as URO.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:58 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

The research I've conducted for some time revealed that the Meyle is one of the OEM suppliers to Porsche; there's an embossed (or painted?) triangle for Porsche which is removed prior to Meyle packaging. I've spoken to two shops that agree with this so??? This will be my next job so I would appreciate any feedback.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by pfarah7
The research I've conducted for some time revealed that the Meyle is one of the OEM suppliers to Porsche; there's an embossed (or painted?) triangle for Porsche which is removed prior to Meyle packaging. I've spoken to two shops that agree with this so??? This will be my next job so I would appreciate any feedback.
In my experience, on some parts there's a huge difference between an OEM manufacturers parts and Porsche factory parts. Personally, for motor mounts and some other parts, I only go factory, plus you get a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Sunset has the best prices as far as I know (no affiliation).
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok, thanks. I typically stay with Genuine parts but was informed that Meyle was the same without the red triangle, and cost.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Meyle is definitely not OEM. I believe the brand you're referring to is Corteco, those had the triangle P ground off.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Meyle is definitely not OEM. I believe the brand you're referring to is Corteco, those had the triangle P ground off.
Jason, I think you will find that Rein were the original manufacturers for the motor mounts for Porsche. Rein also used to offer them in their own packaging, with the "P" ground off, they haven't produced any of them for a long while. Corteco is the best of what's left in the aftermarket, they are almost the same cost as genuine so why not go for the real deal.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:05 PM
porscharu
Pro

Originally Posted by pfarah7
Jason said it but I will reiterate. The top picture is a URO, notice the sanded section? I wonder what it could have said. Meyle veils itself as a German manufacutrer but they are reboxed Chinese parts.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:09 PM
porscharu
Pro

I thought I would insert this from another thread because it applies.

Originally Posted by Wayne at Pelican
Hi Guys. I would like to apologize for the confusion here - there unfortunately is no simple answer. I will try to add some clarity however.

Let's start by discussing the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) that sell to the car manufacturers (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc.). They produce many parts for them for use on new vehicles. I believe this where most of their revenue tends to come from. In addition, they also supply parts for the replacement parts supply chain within the manufacturers dealer network. I.E. they produce parts for Porsche that Porsche then places in their "Genuine Porsche " boxes and sells to their dealers as replacement parts. This business is also lucrative for the OEM manufacturers.

Then, there's the third chain, the one that Pelican taps into (to save everyone money). This is where the OEM manufacturers sell parts directly to Pelican and our suppliers. Sometimes there are contracts that these OEM manufacturers have with the manufacturer (Porsche) that detail that they cannot sell the exact same part through the third channel (outside of the control of Porsche). So, the OEM manufacturer may use many different tricks and loopholes to get around these restrictions. As a side note too, sometimes the OEM manufacturer doesn't even want the car manufacturer (Porsche) to know they are stuffing these parts out the back channel - in reality, sometimes it's difficult to tell where these come from if you're an end-consumer.

So, this is the case with these motor mounts. Rein is a distributor of German parts - they buy parts from the OEM manufacturer and then box them in their own "Rein" branded boxes. This would be the same as if Pelican bought parts in bulk from an OEM manufacturer in Europe and then "reboxed" them into a Pelican box. The mounts are manufactured by a company that is a subsidiary of CFW/Corteco. This company's name (which I have been asked not to post publicly) starts with a "V", and that is why the markings show that.

So, why do the parts not have an OEM part number? Because the manufacturers (Porsche especially) have trademarked their part numbering system and do not allow aftermarket parts to include that part number. It's way more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it. It's also why you might often see a part come in a box that looks brand new, but has a Porsche or BMW logo that was cast into the part - that casting is sometimes ground off. The reason why is because these parts were manufactured using the same molds and tooling used for the Porsche part, but the trademark needs be removed before it can enter the "alternative distribution channel".

Sorry for all the cloak-and-dagger stuff, but getting parts through these channels keeps the aftermarket and companies like Pelican alive and thriving. We can sell the same part from the same manufacturing line as the Genuine part, often for 1/3 the cost or less. Having to deal with these little confusion issues has been something that we've been working with for the past 15 years, and it's just part of the business. In general, it's not something that we like to see discussed in length on discussion boards because it can spook the manufacturers sometimes (this has indeed happened in the past).

I hope this helps to clarify, and thanks everyone for your continued support!

-Wayne

P.S. Pls forgive the "new user" account - my old account was converted over to our Pelican Sponsor account...

Wayne R. Dempsey
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Black is Porsche OE (painted black by me) right is Rein. every mark is identical.

Quick Reply: Installing motor mounts and *SNAP*!