Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   2.3L Ford Ecoboost Conversion (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/957394-2-3l-ford-ecoboost-conversion.html)

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 12:42 AM

2.3L Ford Ecoboost Conversion

Howdy all,

I'm looking to convert my 85.2 944 to have the latest Mustang's 2.3L I4 Ecoboost engine. Rather than debate the merits of conversion, let's just assume it's a "because I want to", and instead I'd like to discuss the challenges, and if anyone has faced these already in a similar or "close enough" setup.

I think I can figure out my way through most things; fuel delivery, throttle hookup, cooling, mounting, and probably even cross-member interference.

The things I'm anticipating will give me problems are really just the drive-line hookup. How to get from crank shaft to drive shaft? I will obviously need a flywheel with starter ring, input shaft bushing, clutch, pressure plate, and probably a different bell housing and throw-out bearing. If anyone has ideas for how this might be solved, I'm all ears. :)

I'm sure some of the electronics, like the vehicle speed sensor will also be problematic, so again, suggestions are welcome.

Lastly, if anyone knows a good supplier of the 2.3L ecoboost (2015 and newer), please feel free to reply here or PM me.

Thanks and looking forward to the discussion!

-Randall

V2Rocket 10-09-2016 01:45 AM

Do it!
I was just daydreaming about this the other day.

Quick google search shows some sources for the 2.3 engine, and there are ready to run ECU controller kits too...with wiring!

You might be able to use a 944 clutch disk in the 2.3's normal flywheel/pressure plate...

AZ520 10-09-2016 04:21 AM

You will need lots of custom fab skills. If you want to keep cost to a min. look into a Duratec I-4 2.5 2010 plus Fusion, Escape, Milan engines can be had for 300.00-1000.00 for low mile salvage. They have forged internals and should be good for at least 10lbs of boost. If you must have the mustang ecoboost I would look at ebay for salvage engines first. Mazdaspeed 3 and speed 6 also used a lower power version of the boosted 2.3 duratec. Earlier N/a 2.3 are very cheap find, but do not have forged internals, lots of aftermarket parts are there for a 2.3 to build as you need for a reasonable cost. You will also need to source better brakes and transmission to handle the power if you don't have a turbo 944 to start with. Easier route would be to go with a vw tsi, 1.8, 2.0, much more info about these swaps out there. Look into Motor Werks racing. They are working on a DIY kit for the 1.8 tsi.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 04:31 AM

Definitely, but not looking to pay retail for the engine. :) I have a feeling I'm not going to be so lucky as to get away with stock anything in either setup, but I'll hope.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 04:39 AM

Thanks for the info, AZ. I'll do a little research, though I'm pretty anti-VW (I know, weird for a multiple Porsche owner to say), but I like the performance specs of the 2.0 and 2.3L EBs, and their maintenance/service cost will be significantly lower than the VW/Audi motors.

And just so it's out there, I didn't buy a 944 for it's motor, only for it's body. :) I love the styling but can't stand Porsche parts cost. Thus the Ford. I'd also consider the Chevy V6 if there's an easy way around the CANBUS setup.

AZ520 10-09-2016 04:47 AM

Later model Ford ranger pick-ups used a duratec 2.3 also, might be able to source a few parts from them as they are Front engine, rear drive. I would get a used bare block, with crank and flywheel only installed so you can see what needs to be done to couple to the Torque tube, this way it would be light and easier to handle and see want need to be done, maybe a bell housing from a Ranger is the ticket. The swaps I have read about seem to use some part of the bell housing from the donor engine.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 04:58 AM

^- THIS! I like this idea a lot. I'm assuming it's the same bolt pattern.

morghen 10-09-2016 05:06 AM

Interesting idea. Make sure you upgrade the brakes too.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 05:09 AM

Yup, definitely planning on the Willwood brake kit. Put an LS1 in my '74 911 without putting brakes in first, boy that was a mistake.

marc abrams 10-09-2016 07:58 AM

My brother in law just got a Mustang with that engine. Take some measurements first, that engine looks too tall to fit under the hood of a 944.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 12:21 PM

Thanks for the heads-up, Marc. That makes me wonder, if it is indeed too tall, whether or not a dry sump and a ~15 degree angle would solve the height issue.

Since the engine is a crate online, you would think they would post measurements... ugh.

Dougs951S 10-09-2016 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ClassicStyle (Post 13662651)
Thanks for the heads-up, Marc. That makes me wonder, if it is indeed too tall, whether or not a dry sump and a ~15 degree angle would solve the height issue.

Since the engine is a crate online, you would think they would post measurements... ugh.

Sorry, I hear you on the "I want to" factor, but is it REALLY worth it to pay the $$$ and time dry sumping and tilting a 2.3? It's not THAT incredible of a motor, ton's of lumps I'd rather have under my hood personally. Just something to think about. You can throw 20k at it if you want, but at the end of the day those mustangs still don't make that much power. The factory turbo is good for ~300 rwhp at most. You'll still get beat by a modded 951 with a factory engine ;)

Now...the 2.7TT V6 is a different story. THAT's an awesome motor. If I was going to be doing a ford swap, my pick would be the 2.7 if it fit.

AZ520 10-09-2016 12:34 PM

Forgot Mazda Miatas use an MZR 2.0 or duratec and the 2.5 MZR Duratec is a faily common swap. They engine is on a slight angle. I am sure you could modify the oil pick up to accommodate angle.

ClassicStyle 10-09-2016 12:44 PM

Howdy Doug, I'm under no illusion I'm going to race this thing. If I do, it's going to be just for the joy of going fast on a track. You might have noticed from my prior comment I put an LS1 in a 911. I do this work for the challenge and the victory at the end. Yes it costs lots of money compared to, say, turbo charging what I have. But there's thousands of turbo 951s out there with the exact same engine and setup. Mine (regardless what anyone, including myself, thinks of Ford) would be unique, and that's a big part of the appeal as well.

I've built a bunch of cars in my life, I don't think I've put 20K in any of them, and not about to start now. ;) Probably the closest is my '67 Mustang Fastback with an LS1 in it, at about 15K, pictured below.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...d5a0e095fe.jpg

Oh the yellow 911 in the background is my LS1 powered baby. :)

I appreciate the input though, and look forward to hearing if you have any ideas about the swap.

Cheers and nice to meet ya!

AZ520 10-09-2016 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dougs951S (Post 13662677)
Sorry, I hear you on the "I want to" factor, but is it REALLY worth it to pay the $$$ and time dry sumping and tilting a 2.3? It's not THAT incredible of a motor, ton's of lumps I'd rather have under my hood personally. Just something to think about. You can throw 20k at it if you want, but at the end of the day those mustangs still don't make that much power. The factory turbo is good for ~300 rwhp at most. You'll still get beat by a modded 951 with a factory engine ;)

They are badass engines used in many cars worldwide, very robust, lightweight and compact. I bet total weight saving would be about 150lbs.