Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Feeler Thread: Group Buy - M030 Spindles (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/954815-feeler-thread-group-buy-m030-spindles.html)

Speeddemon944 09-21-2016 08:30 PM

Feeler Thread: Group Buy - M030 Spindles

Hi Everyone,

So my right front spindle on my 89' Turbo S finally died. It was showing some wear on the outer bearing mating surface for awhile and it finally won't hold the wheel bearing in place.

I tried to find a good used spindle on the various sites to no avail. I finally gave up and ordered a new one from germany :surr: :crying:

I have a friend who owns a machine shop and I have asked him to look at what it will take to make some, using the new one from Porsche as a model. I am sure it won't be cheap but I hoping that it will be cheaper than the $1,700 I just spent with the dealer...

Anyone else interested in buying one? At this point my friend hasn't looked at it to see if it is even possible to replicate but if he can make more than 1 the costs start to go down. He won't be able to look at it for 2 weeks but my plan is to take my new one and the worn one to him to measure and give me a quote. I have a good used left one so I will see if he can make a left as well but use the new right side for the diameter measurement.

So, Any interest? If so how many?

Thanks!

lart951 09-21-2016 09:43 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-951-...item3acb666a62

V2Rocket 09-21-2016 11:20 PM

Rather than make a new "knuckle" can you just make a new wheel spindle to weld/screw in place of the original one (machined off)?

I could see a new spindle piece with a large nut on the backside working well. Big truck spindles (F350 for example) are held onto the axle housing with like 6 3/8" or smaller studs so an M24 or whatever nut should be plenty for a 944.

Jfrahm 09-23-2016 08:56 AM

I have a pair I was selling but the buyer, claiming to be a needy Porsche community member, turned out to be a reseller with a bad reputation (it wasn't a Rennlist member). I have not bothered to list them again, ideally I'll find a local buyer and avoid some sort of long-distance scam or misunderstanding.

Luis's set might go cheap seeing as they are listed in the wrong category :-)
-Joel.

Mark in Baltimore 09-29-2016 03:01 PM

Guys,

FYI, here are the rules on group buys:

John D rules - based on some hard lessons are as follows:

1) Group buys should go through a trusted sponsor if at all possible.

2) They should not compete with offerings from a site sponsor for obvious reasons.

3) If they cannot be organized with a reliable site sponsor then we must take every precaution to ensure that Rennlisters do not get scammed (yes it has happened).

At the very least this means that we have proper and VERIFIED contact info on the person organizing the buy, since usually he or she is the one collecting the money. In the past, some have simply taken the bucks and never delivered product. So, a proper name, telephone number, address, and email are a must. At the very least this helps prevent some of the things which went on in the past.

4) It must be made clear that Rennlist takes NO responsibility for group buys organized by individuals in the community. At most RL's contribution may be a sticky thread. This is vital since if the deal goes wrong, we don't want to be on the hook for obvious reasons.

Please PM me if you decide you want this group buy to go forward.

ddombrowski 09-29-2016 04:00 PM

I'm not familiar with the M030 spindle, but is this not a part made from a casting? That would be very difficult to remanufacture. You'd have to machine the entire thing. At $1,700 from Porsche, yeah, you have some room to work, but thats a lot of machining.

Furthermore, bearing spindles are likely going to be held to +/- 0.001 to 0.005 (and I suspect .005 may be too large). That requirement will drive up the cost a bunch.

I don't have a need for the spindle but I do work in manufacturing so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Oddjob 09-30-2016 06:53 PM

Steel forging.

Speeddemon944 10-10-2016 12:18 AM

Dang I should have posted on here looking for one before I bought from Porsche! Lesson learned.

Good to know on the group buy rules. I will keep those in mind for future reference.