Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have timing belt whine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Jimmy76
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As promised I post my updates. Hope I'm not boring anyone.
2nd attempt. Slightly less tension. Idler positioned with 0.5mm lower gap (credit card setup) and about 0.1mm upper gap.
3rd round. Even less tension. 180 degree twist could be done when idler is not installed. 0.5mm lower gap, and abou 0.1mm upper lift (when a tip is at the idler, when there is a walley there is a small gap)

Honestly I do not hear much difference in the 3 setup. I'm thinking about removing the balance belt just to double check if it is really the cause. I do not feel safe to lower the tension any more.
Indeed Porsche only suggested just a bit lower tension for the 18mm balance belt than the new T belt according to Clark's. ( New belt - 4.0 ą0.3 , New style belt (18 mm wide) - 3.5 ą 0.5 whatever those numbers are...)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:28 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I'd say the second one above is a bit like mine after the engine has been sitting for a while, like a couple of weeks or more. The last time it sat so long, I was doing big repairs. After starting, it whined like that until I drove a bit, then gone.

Leave it as is and drive around for a few days. It just might settle down
Old 12-13-2018, 12:11 AM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy76
As promised I post my updates. Hope I'm not boring anyone.
2nd attempt. Slightly less tension. Idler positioned with 0.5mm lower gap (credit card setup) and about 0.1mm upper gap.
https://youtu.be/WaRoEddgk3o
3rd round. Even less tension. 180 degree twist could be done when idler is not installed. 0.5mm lower gap, and abou 0.1mm upper lift (when a tip is at the idler, when there is a walley there is a small gap)
https://youtu.be/7y4XLFSBFHo

Honestly I do not hear much difference in the 3 setup. I'm thinking about removing the balance belt just to double check if it is really the cause. I do not feel safe to lower the tension any more.
Indeed Porsche only suggested just a bit lower tension for the 18mm balance belt than the new T belt according to Clark's. ( New belt - 4.0 ą0.3 , New style belt (18 mm wide) - 3.5 ą 0.5 whatever those numbers are...)
2nd video here sounds better to me. I usually leave the top belt cover off completely for about 1000 miles and every week before starting the car I reach in and twist those belts with my hand to see how tight they are. That balancing belt should do almost a 180 when cold. Also the whine will be much louder with that top cover off. Timing belt will twist about 10-20 degrees is all between cold and hot.

If satisfied with the credit card method on Svens video then Adjust the idler pulley on balancing belt a bit more depending on the twist and go for another drive. Then when you get home twist the belt again by hand and you will notice the difference. Like it will go about 100 degree twist is all. Make sire car is OFF while twisting belts.

Next day do this again and listen to whine. I kept doing this til whine was ever so slight. Also whine is worse sometimes with AC on so leave that off. Note: put on some of those rubber gloves first cuz it always leaves black on your fingers.

You should not hear the whine from inside car while driving or something is off.

If you notice any belt shavings around then it may be that rail or some other thing is rubbing. At least with the cover off you can check it here and there and adjust quickly til it sounds right

To me even that second video #3 above sounds like too much whine but better.

FWIW I have never had a need for belt tensioning tools. I just hear or feel its off and this one sounds a bit off still but getting very close. First video #2 has something way way too tight or rubbing somewhere.

Keep an eye on it for a week or so and make some more very slight adjustments and see what it does. Dont rev the car too high like under 3k rpm til you get it squared away

Patience is key. Check it. Drive it. Adjust it. Repeat a few times and you will be good.

Also after whine goes away in 6 months check it. Drive it. Tighten it a bit for a few days and you are set for another 40K. Remember to put top cover back on.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Jimmy76
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I'd say the second one above is a bit like mine after the engine has been sitting for a while, like a couple of weeks or more. The last time it sat so long, I was doing big repairs. After starting, it whined like that until I drove a bit, then gone.

Leave it as is and drive around for a few days. It just might settle down
By the "2nd one above" do you mean video #3? The last setup?
I've read somewhere that some whine is ok still the engine warms up.

Shall I run a quick test with balance belt off just to get sure about the root cause?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:04 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

By the "2nd one above" do you mean video #3? The last setup?
I've read somewhere that some whine is ok still the engine warms up.

Shall I run a quick test with balance belt off just to get sure about the root cause?
Yes, the last setup sounds pretty good. You'd probably not hear it inside the car and after a few drives, it should settle down. That belt has some pretty knobby teeth and there will always be some noise but when warm, shouldn't be enough to hear from inside as Stevieporsche has mentioned. By the time you do your next belt changes, you'll have forgotten long ago about "belt whine" and that belt will be flopping around so loose you'll wonder how it didn't come off.

You'll be fine
Old 12-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

PS.. don't run any tests; everything sounds normal. Just drive!
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Jimmy76
Intermediate

I went for a final round. And yes. For me it will remain as this:
I've tightend just a little bit. It is about 135-150degree right now. Still the belt is very loose.
And I've set up the idler that there is the banc card gap at the bottom, and 0,5mm gap at the top.
Now the idler barely turns. I'm vey happy with that.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

It sounds great. Enjoy!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM
Jimmy76
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advices!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
OK guys - I need your help. I just got done with my timing / balance belt and water pump change. Got the car started and I was so proud that the engine was idling relatively smooth. I come inside and my wife says, "what is that whine?".

I swear I didnt hear it, but after my wifes comment I think I have the dreaded whine. I took a short video. Can you guys watch it and give me some ideas to proceed? I think the whine is accentuated on the video and it doesnt sound that bad IMO.

944 porsche timing belt change - YouTube

I read that whine is due to incorrect belt tension. I adjusted the timing belt to 90 degree bend and balance belt to 180 degree bend. Everything is brand new and the car is on the jack stands.

I was thinking that I should drive it for 20-30 miles just to let the belt "seat" and clean off any assembly oils etc. I used a stethoscope and noise seems very loud around the cam. I checked the CAM toward the back of the engine and it was loud back there too...

I also noticed that the V-belt pulley at the crank was tight but wobbly as it rotated. I guess that wasnt put on properly. Is that keyed? I dont remember a stud or keyway.
Like you, I depend on my wife to hear high frequency noises from my cars. She's better than a console light at telling me when I need to replace my brake pads. Really.

Have you heard of a Kricket belt tension tool? I use them on all the belts, 944 and 928. I do have a more expensive Kempf tool for the 928 but I'm not certain it does a better job than the Kricket.

I've never had problems with the Kricket on the 944, it seems to work well with all the belts, including the timing and balance shaft. I think I can recommend it. A set of two (big and little) shouldn't cost much more than $20. You can find them on Amazon.

Regards,
Old 12-15-2018, 08:15 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went for a final round. And yes. For me it will remain as this:
https://youtu.be/FsARlhYW6wY
I've tightend just a little bit. It is about 135-150degree right now. Still the belt is very loose.
And I've set up the idler that there is the banc card gap at the bottom, and 0,5mm gap at the top.
Now the idler barely turns. I'm vey happy with that.
Agree here it sounds perfect to me now. If it gets quieter in a few months remember to check it and tighten ever so slightly again.

if you like the louder whine now you can move the idler more into the belt and get a nice sound out of it on purpose just to make it sound like its supercharged. Haha. It does tend to wear your idler prematurely however so keep an extra one on hand if you do and want to play with it.

I would drive It like this for a month or so with top cover off and just check tension maybe once a week by twisting it. No more adjusting it but just check it to see how it behaves before and after a drive. You will be amazed as Dan mentioned how floppy it gets over time.

nice job and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Do I have timing belt whine?