Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I killed my '88 944 NA. Best way forward?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 03:55 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He found the issue with the power steering too... that was my bad, I guess. But being the first time I ever messed with a p/s system before, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

The ps pump is attached to the block with some weird bolts and barrels. I guess you need to tighten a specific one of the bolts before the other to be sure the pump case is fluid-tight. One of the bolts was backed out a couple turns, and it was leaking everywhere. He tightened it with whatever sequence is proper, and it's leak-free now!

Coolant (water) was leaking out of the purge valve at the top of the engine, because someone (not me) had jammed a regular 13mm hex head bolt in there to stop it up, rather than the 12mm hex head valve bolt (with hollow center, side vent, and a little gasket washer).

This morning I brought in my valve bolt from the old engine and that fixed the leak there.

Charlie at Intersport did his favored racing alignment for 944's. He couldn't quite get the rear where he would have liked - it didn't have enough negative camber. But he was able to get nearly one additional degree of negative camber from where it was before it started to toe in or toe out (i forget which) too much. So he did what he could with the suspension I have.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:52 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread Wrap-up!

I picked up the car Friday morning on the way to the track and by the time I got there, Hurricane Matthew had already started making everything wet. I put off a little too much work for the morning as a result.

In the morning I still needed to put up my canopy, install my window net, driver net, strut tower bar, and belly pan. And change tires to the "rains".

So I missed the warmup session. The rain was pretty intense by then, but it only got worse. I think it peaked mid-afternoon, right around the races.

Anyway, I got out there for qualifying, and I couldn't see much. But the car performed well, and I was grateful for that. No issues whatsoever.

The race was exciting in the rain, too. I've put together a highlights video of the Lightning Group race, and I hope you'll find it exciting.

Sunday's 40-minute race was rather uneventful, which is what I was after. The car drove well, and I ticked off faster and faster laps, with a 2:26 best lap.

I got the last two punches on my NASA Provisional License, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Primary goal accomplished!

Thanks to everyone who contributed and commented for all your help along the way. It's been another fun chapter in the ownership of this car!

Last edited by CrookedRacer; 10-10-2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: video link

Quick Reply: I think I killed my '88 944 NA. Best way forward?