Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing pads from front callipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:29 PM
mainerds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing pads from front callipers

I am having trouble removing the pads from my front callipers on my 1993 968.
Using channel locks I compressed the center spring and have swung it out of the way, but I can't get the pads out. Do the metal pieces in the slots slide out as well. The metal pieces on the top and bottom of the slot where the pads sit.

Hello-

Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

The pads have isolators that stick to the pad backing and into the caliper piston. Slide the caliper off the rotor and you can pop them out.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

There could be a few reasons you're having difficulty removing the pads. As Thomas mentions, it could be the noise-reduction shims that clip into the pistons and line the back of the pads. Not obvious from your photo that there are installed, but they could be.

Second potential cause is a lip on the rotor due to wear. Your rotors look brand new, not sure how you got to a position of brand new rotors and stuck pads...

Third potential is the stainless steel end plates along which the pad edges rest and should slide. Your fingernail is on one in the first photo. Over time, corrosion builds up in the caliper under them, pushing the end plate out. I can see one lifting on the right side of the second photo. The solution involves removing the end plates, cleaning out the corrosion (steel brush, for example), resealing the caliper surface (eg, Wurth Rust Guard), and reinstalling the end plate. This is made difficult because each end plate is retained by two M6 button-head allen bolts that are installed with thread locker and take a 4 mm allen bit. The allen bit invariably cams out when you try to remove the bolt. I do my best to carefully heat the bolt and break down the thread locker (without melting the piston seals and boots), then walk the bolt out with a chisel and hammer. Not fun. And you'll need to replace the bolts.

From the photos, I'd close by remarking that your calipers are really very dirty and nasty looking! You need to clean out all that built-up crud. Especially important to clean around the pistons' dust boots (late style) or scraper seals (early), because that crud is just going to do the pistons and seals no good at all. We really should carefully clean every time we replace pads or rotors, keep the crud from building up.

Given the photos and what I assume the calipers' conditions are, the safe thing may be for you to remove the four calipers and take them to someone who can clean them, inspect carefully and assess seal conditions, and rebuild if necessary. Sorry to sounds negative, but I want you to be safe, and broken brakes are no good in that regard. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 PM
mainerds
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS for the info Kevin. Yes, they do look dirty in the picture.

Good solid advice that comes from your experience. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Todd

Quick Reply: Removing pads from front callipers