Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 07:33 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Desperately need to sell my car. $4500

UPDATE:

I found the perfect 951, exactly what I want, great condition, looks really good, extensive maintenance records, etc etc. I even talked the guy down to $6000. He's even willing to do a partial trade plus some cash. I've got the partial trade item, an older cherokee, but theres just no way I can come up with the rest without selling my car first. He received an offer the other day for $6000, from a guy over in Illinois or something who resells these cars. To add on to all this, he's trying to buy another car before he leaves on the first of January for washington to work with a homeland security issue. So time is tight, and as I'm unable to come up with the cash, he's gonna sell it to this guy, who will probably come down later this week. This just burns me up as its a local car, something I hardly ever see, that is, to boot, exactly the car I want.

So, if anyone can buy my car for $4500, in oh, say, 3 days, I will get it out of storage, and meet you with it. Wishful thinking? No, I'm fully aware its not gonna happen, I just feel like I'm letting the best deal I'll ever come across slip through my fingers. It would have been better if I hadn't actually stopped to see it, lol, start it, hear it, witness first hand its magnificence. But oh well, so is life, right?

Just so I can say I tried, here's my orignal post.

This is a red on tan auto. Original paint, looks very good considering age. Car currently has 133K on the clock, runs well and is my dependable daily driver, save for winter, when it gets stored. Maintenance has always been kept up with and it comes with a folder full of receipts, along with original owners manual. Tires only have about 5000 miles on them and are Cooper Cobras on the original phone dials. Body has no dents or dings. The interior is in very good condition. No rips or tears anywhere, and the carpet is cherry, no stains or ciggerette burns. There is some wear on the side bolster of the seat as is to be expected, and there are a few hairline cracks on the dash, but not readily noticeable. Any time I park in the sun, a windshield screen is used. The car has recently been professionally tinted as well. The only things that need attention are the sunroof, which needs the 5 dollar gear, and an airconditioning receiver drier needs to be replaced for optimal cooling. Hatch release, all interior lights, and the clock are all in working order. The car has been appreciated and babied, always kept clean, and never been abused.

I can be reached by email or phone. 304-872-0202 is my home number, ask for Ashley, or 619-9081 is cell. ziominix@yahoo.com

Ashley Ellison
Attached Images  

Last edited by 'bryan'; 12-26-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmmmm...........
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Another pic.
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2003, 08:58 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

looks awesome, save for that shifter mishap there... very solid looking car. you should get 5500 for it, but dont count on it... people are very cheap. good luck with the move to turbo, do some DE's!!!

-Michael-
Old 10-21-2003, 09:08 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Thanks man.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

looks great, im also tryin to sell my 944 auto (posted here too) to upgrade to at least an s or maybe a turbo.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jjmson20
looks great, im also tryin to sell my 944 auto (posted here too) to upgrade to at least an s or maybe a turbo.
PM me.. I may be interested..
Old 10-22-2003, 05:11 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

*bump*
Old 11-02-2003, 09:06 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Ok, just found out this thing is gonna need a rack and pinion, so with this in mind, I'm down to $5000. I really need to sell this car, so if your even vaguely interested, email me or call me, we'll figure something out. Its really a great reliable car, never let me down.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:27 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

Still haven't sold this car, any offers??
Old 11-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i think your problem is its an auto. Did you try autotrader? or ebay? Good luck man!
~Eyal
Old 11-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$5500 is about the highest you're going to see someone pay for a perfect/clean '87 944.

You say that the sunroof doesn't work, the a/c needs work and now it needs a power steering rack. From the looks of the pics the floor mats need to be replaced and the wheels look faded.

Then factor in the automatic. That kills Porsche resale value.

You've gotta think of your target market. There's only X amount of people looking for 944's, of that amount there is probably 3% who desire to own an automatic. The used car market is also really tough. With some cars a price diffrence of $750 can make it go from over priced to way to cheap. 944's fall in that catagory. Lastly, who wants to pay a premium price for a car they are going to have to imediatly spend more money on to make perfect.

If you're serious about selling this car to a Porsche enthusiats (possibly the cheapest shopper), you need to lower the asking price to something more attractive like $3995. It's a shame, cause you do have a nice well kept car, but it's got an automatic and that's a deal killer.

Your best bet is to sell it locally to a non Porsche enthusiast. 944 Autos sell best to a Fathers or Husbands who want to buy their daughter or wife a 944 to scoot around in.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

.. There is a commom misconception about the "Porsche Automatic"

Truth is- they make great daily drivers- Lousy garage queens. As you purchased your car you realized it cost less than manuals, and the trend will continue. What isnt addressed is that these cars tend to be "beat" less and last longer by non-enthusiast PO's.
The Auto's make for an excellent "first porsche" for many people- that is your target audience. I would own another automatic.

I love my auto- but I love the manual as well.. But I get to drive both.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I wouldnt mind having an auto 944 for every day. That is if I didnt have another daily driver.

Christian
Old 12-26-2003, 11:33 PM
'bryan'
Advanced

UPDATE:

I found the perfect 951, exactly what I want, great condition, looks really good, extensive maintenance records, etc etc. I even talked the guy down to $6000. He's even willing to do a partial trade plus some cash. I've got the partial trade item, an older cherokee, but theres just no way I can come up with the rest without selling my car first. He received an offer the other day for $6000, from a guy over in Illinois or something who resells these cars. To add on to all this, he's trying to buy another car before he leaves on the first of January for washington to work with a homeland security issue. So time is tight, and as I'm unable to come up with the cash, he's gonna sell it to this guy, who will probably come down later this week. This just burns me up as its a local car, something I hardly ever see, that is, to boot, exactly the car I want.

So, if anyone can buy my car for $4500, in oh, say, 3 days, I will get it out of storage, and meet you with it. Wishful thinking? No, I'm fully aware its not gonna happen, I just feel like I'm letting the best deal I'll ever come across slip through my fingers. It would have been better if I hadn't actually stopped to see it, lol, start it, hear it, witness first hand its magnificence. But oh well, so is life, right?

Quick Reply: 944 For Sale