Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple minor intake questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:02 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default couple minor intake questions

paper intake manifold gaskets - look intact, i have read previously that its not imperative to replace these if they look ok? also for reinstalling, I had some trouble being sure that IU was lining up the hex bolts with the holes in the gaskets. then it hit me that i could have the gaskets on the manifold side with the bolts coming through before i lower it down to mate with the holes. is that the technique?

one of the rubber elbows to the vacuum line coming off of the throttle just kind of slid off. are these types of connectors generic and available from local auto parts retailers? with that tiny bit of oily residue around the vacuum hoses and air intake, I am assuming its slow buildup over the years? should i simple green the nipples where the vacuum hose rubber elbows go?

as far as getting the car running again -- I did soft fuel lines front and rear, fuel filter, and cleaned up injectors. the gas tank is currently empty. any suggestions for turning this bad boy on again? I have the battery out and will trickle charge it today or tomorrow. I was thinking just putting a gallon or two in and see if it starts. any other tips and/or safety precautions. do i just get it to turn over for a minute or two and then kill it and smell around for gasoline? will it probably run rough for some period of time?

thanks for all the help up till now, I have enjoyed this project but I am very ready to get back to the fun of driving this sweet beast.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You can leave the intake gaskets on the head if you want. I line them up by gently wiggling them with a screwdriver through the bolt holes of the intake, or around the intake flanges.

I wouldn't use simple green, I'd use carb cleaner or something like that.

You can get rubber vacuum hose from the local store, but only in straight sections. Maybe it can be bent into the angle you need, but it would be better to either buy rubber elbows or silicone hose from online.

Put in more than 2 gallons, it will probably take at least half a gallon to fill the lines and rail. When I started up my 951 project, the tank was bone dry, I put in 3 gallons, and the gauge read empty with the reserve light on!

Have you taken the engine apart? It might be a good idea to prime the oil pump first. Take out the OPRV, shove a rubber hose in the hole, and feed oil into that hole (big syringe or something, you need it to be pushed in). Do it a few times, and turn the engine backwards to help pull the oil towards the pump.

Then, with the spark plugs out, and fuel pump fuse removed, crank the engine until you see oil pressure. When you do, put the plugs and fuse back and start it up. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:10 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply - really helps.

I only took out the injectors and intake manifold - no other deeper engine work. all fuel line related after being advised to not trust old cracking fuel lines. if the engine was just left sitting for the last 2 months, should i still prime the oil pump? never heard of this step before, but curious and definitely want to do things right and also learn as i go.

I guess if i am going to have to order the vacuum hose rubber elbows to replace the couple on the throttle that keep slipping off i'll break down and buy some new manifold gaskets. why not.

so far I have done

- gates hoses with fuel injector grade hose clamps to fuel rail (924S - these lines come up by the brake booster)
-refreshed injectors from witch hunter (want to get this car running, he says not to let the referred injectors sit too long without use)
-rebuilt the hose from fuel pump to fuel filter using the old metal fitting and new gates hose with good clamps.
-new hose from fuel tank to pump and new strainer piece after the strainer kept wanting to fall off of the old one.

(so many different boxes from pelican. can't wait to be done with this, but it been super fun to learn and get through problems. funniest of all was the one electrical wire from the ECU that was a delete that was unneeded in v1.3 or something like that. spent a hours over several days trying to figure out where that wire was supposed to connect to.)

good times, and all the stuff I have done, I could probably do 10 times faster a second time around. I just have to ask a million dumb questions the first time around haha
Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah OK, when you said "get it running again" for some reason I thought you'd rebuilt it. You shouldn't need to prime the oil pump. If you get no oil pressure after starting it, though, then read up on priming.

If you're worried about the injectors sitting, you can put a few drops of ATF into each one, it should rust-proof it and keep the parts from jamming.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

As far as the vacuum lines falling off, you can put a zip tie around them to make the joint of the hose and fitting more secure..You may still have to replace the hose if it is gummy and oily,,which indicates a breakdown of the rubber.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Project560
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck! I am in a similar state of progress myself, except my last box from Pelican will probably be a victim of the Canada Post strike that will likely start here this weekend. If my parts don't get to me today then it may be a while before I get them...enjoy starting yours up!

Andrew
Project560
84 944

Quick Reply: couple minor intake questions