Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is "parting out locally" feasible for a 944 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is "parting out locally" feasible for a 944 turbo?

It's been up for about a week and I m getting lowball offers:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...640343182.html

I've never sold a car by parts before and I don't think I want to pack and ship every single part.

if I put this up for parts and just had the buyer come get the part(s) they wanted in person (read local), do you think there would realistically be enough demand to get it sold off say by the end of summer?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:58 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Is "parting out locally" feasible for a 944 turbo?

You're probably better off listing it for less, or working with "lowball" offers. I'm not sure how much 951s go for in your area, but I don't think anyone would offer more than $5k in my area for that car... Lack of interior and incomplete respray turn people away.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:27 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Sell the Vitesse stuff separately, put stock management and parts back on and sell it for the low-offer.
Parting is a lot more time consuming than you'd think.

A stripped out car is only worth something to a racer and a fully-stock engine is worth more to a racer than an aftermarket kit because of class rules...nobody wants a interior-less street car. Especially one that doesn't have an e-brake - how do you park it?

Without the Vitesse parts installed, if someone offers you $5k for the rest of the car you should jump on that, IMO.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the suspensión stock? Lsd transmission? Btw the nada market prices only apply to "umolested cars" anything that is modded you actually loss value in your case I wouldn't pay more than 4K for your car there is not enough money to part it and make profit even @ 5k and no one would buy it unless they want to built a race car. Some unconventional mods too like the LR headlight delete yet you have headlights installed? also how do you tune your car? Do you have the whole vitesse stage 3 kit piggy back etc? , Wideband? If you part it maybe you'll pull 6-7k but you will have to pull, clean, advertise, pack and ship, pay PayPal fee's etc etc , I'm not trying to offend or being rude just my opinion and I apologize if I have offend you in any way.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Get some interior back in it and you'll do a lot better.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:27 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you list it here? You might find a local wanting a track car.
http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/forumdisplay.php?f=47
Old 06-25-2016, 05:52 PM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a hard sell. Highly modified, high mileage, highly specific, and high ask.

The paint job looks iffy.

Given the change in paint color, I don't think your potential buyer is going to care about the engine mods.

I agree with the above posts - reinstalling the interior and stock headlights would improve your chances greatly.

$8k will still be too high to ask. $6k ask and take $5k?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 AM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, the car has been modded to a certain individual's tastes, and if done tastefully will actually help.

That's not the case here.

Once you go too far, you basically bury yourself in the car with all of the mods that people who are looking at a 951 don't really want.

They want the porsche name, records, reliability, and a car that looks close to stock and tastefully modded if that.

Upgraded suspension, ie adjustable koni's, bigger swaybars, upgraded brakes, and 18" porsche rims are a great compliment to an already potent vehicle. Once you strip the interior, throw in a rollcage, and make it race car, well your target audience just decreased to 5-10% of the potential 944 buyers.

The paint you cannot change without significant funds, which contradict why you have it for sale, basically you're done with it and don't want to throw good money after bad.

Look around at all the modded cars out there, would you rather buy someone's unknown/known mods, or a factory original car?

Sorry for the harshness of my rant, but live and learn, sell it for a lot less, or part it out and join the parting game as Lart has mentioned.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:16 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Did you solve the overheating problem without hood delete?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Voith
Did you solve the overheating problem without hood delete?
yes.

it never was a "problem" in that the temp never got past 1/2way, it would only get a little above 1/3 bar idling in heat.

the Indy guy told me that I was turning the manual fan on too late at around 170/175 degrees and told me in hotter weather I should turn it on around 150 degrees
Old 06-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what was already mentioned. You're stuck between two different demographics here, the guys who want a fast street car and the guys who want a track car. Street guys aren't going to pay that much for a car that doesn't look super clean and track guys aren't going to pay that much for a car that isn't already set up with all the best stuff.

Put the interior back in, drop the price down to $7k and go from there. Not to be rude but those headlights are uh... not flattering.

To answer your original question, how long are you willing to sit on the parts? Its going to take a long time and after all of the good stuff sells you'll find yourself giving away all the normal oem stuff away just to get it out of your garage (been there done that).

Quick Reply: Is "parting out locally" feasible for a 944 turbo?