Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:56 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

mrgreenjeans - I would be interested to hear your opinion on the early vs late dash.

I've always been infatuated with the early dash with it's beautiful instrumentation, inverted tach, retro look and quirky feel, but have never lived with one beyond a 20 minute test drive. I have the late dash as you know - but for most of my ownership I wished it was an early car - and thus I'd like to start hunting for an '83 to add to the stable soon. The early vs late cars feel different enough that I think it's justifiable to own one of each.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:03 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
mrgreenjeans - I would be interested to hear your opinion on the early vs late dash.

I've always been infatuated with the early dash with it's beautiful instrumentation, inverted tach, retro look and quirky feel, but have never lived with one beyond a 20 minute test drive. I have the late dash as you know - but for most of my ownership I wished it was an early car - and thus I'd like to start hunting for an '83 to add to the stable soon. The early vs late cars feel different enough that I think it's justifiable to own one of each.
Oh, I totally agree. The series two car has always felt just a touch heavier to me and perhaps more refined and smoother. Definitely a comfort factor involved as well with the more abundant airflow into the cabin, especially with cooling. One does sit just a bit taller in the saddle as well, not much but definitely different.

Now on the other hand the series one cars, especially the very early ones, have a very abundant assortment of things which are different from later cars. They do feel a little lighter as mentioned earlier, and they have a somewhat primitive electrical system.

I own an early built 1982 calendar year model '83 and visually there are about 50 or so items which come to mind that are different from later cars. One of the most notable is the lack of power steering and the electrically operated sunroof and seat adjustments which came along in the 85.2 cars and up. Actually the power steering and sunroof changes were made on the '84 cars.

As you may well imagine, I have a special fondness for the early cars with their 7 inch wide 16 inch FUCHS, the lighter feel, the simple a-arm structure of pressed steel welded together. I also like the different fabric options made early on and the very unique styles of cloth pattern as well as the special colors seen on the earliest cars.

My ultimate purchase in an early car would have to include the FUCHS, LSD, Sport seats, Sport suspension or M030, sunroof delete, no air, no power winders on the windows, manual mirrors, and Pasha or strobe interior. With an outside color in either Gabun Grey or Ocean blue metallic.

The shape of the dash is so very unique in either car..... I love them both. I will suggest, as others have, the second series dash seems a bit more resilient to damage from sun load and heat. Altho I am nearly evenly split in ownership of twos versus series ones, and all of the previous owners of each seemed to possess a great desire to keep the cars as pristine as possible ( I am VERY fortunate in this way ) , and have only minimal cracking in several of the S1 car's dashes, I do know there are those who are ardent followers of one over the other.
I have no issue with loving them each for the merits they possess. I would begin to pursue finding the best '82/'83 possible because it is going to take some effort in search. Not a good many remain in great form; many have succumbed or become 'dogs of war'.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Don, I am completely awestruck by this fantastic 944! It has to be one of the cleanest and best looking 944's that I have ever had the pleasure of gazing my eyes upon. The options on the car are simply some of the absolute best available and they make the car even more enjoyable than it already is.

What I'm curious about is the history and backstory on this 944. How did you find the car and did you know the original owner and how long have you owned the car? The absolute purity of the car absolutely captivates me, I have to be honest. Alpine White over burgundy leather sport seats with Grand Prix White painted Fuchs with painted crest center caps and a crisp Blaupunkt stereo... What could be a better experience in a 944?

Would love to see the Monroney sticker as well as all of the original extras that the car came with. I.e. tool kit, compressor, triangle, gloves, etc. Thank you for sharing pictures and stories of such a fantastic 944!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:44 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Beautiful car, Don.

Now I know why we are on the hunt for pristine wein rot carpet snaps...
Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Dave and Allen....

Accolades from you two enthusiasts, as well as the other's comments, are much appreciated. I know where your hearts lie in love for these special cars.

Actually the wein rot rear hatch carpet snaps are perfect in this car..... I only wish to have a couple spares, just in case. The ones I REALLY need are tan for my Ruby Red sunroof delete car.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A few of the items which came with the 944 when I bought it. They are all original to this car and show virtually zero use. The tool bag is pristine as are all the tools packed inside. No rust stains, no pliers which don't open, plastic roadside gloves still in the unopened baggie for changing your flat, and that all important drop cloth to keep your knees from getting stained while in a downpour on the side of an alpine summit road.

The sheaf of repair and maintenance paperwork is impressive for such a young and virgin car. Mostly coolant and oil changes. One all important oil cooler seal replacement at around 15,000 miles done under warranty. There is also a small owner's personal documentation booklet showing his additional items changed out or added..... tires, etc.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:49 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A few detail shots of the rear seat and under the rear hatch carpet pad, showing the lack of any 'weathering' due to water, dirt, heat, or human contact.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

oh, and about that carpet pad : I removed it and laid it in the trunk of my Corolla so I didn't have to soil it's backside on the ground.

I don't think it had ever been out of the car before as I found a few lock washers and a fastener stuck to the foam or laying on the floor when I removed it. They appeared new as well, as did the option code sticker which I will post an image of shortly.

But a few more comments and photos first. (-:

If you look closely you will see one of those washers on the hatch floor I mentioned above. Also note: NONE of these surfaces were cleaned first by me prior to the photos. As I unpeeled the layers of the 'onion skin', this is what met my eyes...... and you get to see them firsthand as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 PM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Absolutely stunning in every regard!! The pictures of these usually worn or weathered items are amazing. What is that spray bottle? Is the yellow colored square the container that houses the drop cloth?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:42 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Dave,
the clear sheet everything is sitting on is the drop-cloth and the bag holding the "use once/disposable gloves" is in the colored bag. It has never been opened and retains it's vacuum sealed edge.

The plastic Porsche bottle is windshield cleaner. It is full as well !

I bought the car with one set of keys, and the owner apologized for that but indicated it came this way and the previous owner never knew what happened to the rest of the set with the long alarm key and the other 3 wheel lock keys.

Well, today as I went thru the glovebox I discovered an unused full set still in the plastic ziplock bag from Porsche with the metal key tag #'s still on the ring. I forgot to photo them but will do so and post the image.

They are just 'sick'
Old 06-07-2016, 09:59 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Also, if you notice the spare tire and it's position and then look at the photo of the markings left in the foam pad ( quite permanently I am sure ), you will see they match up perfectly with no evidence of the marks left by the extrusions of tire nomenclature even visible any where else on the padding. Or any overlap on the dented in nature of impressions left by the maker's mark.

Conclusion? It as well has never been out of it's carrier in the slightly over 30 years of it's life. I am not only shocked but amazed at this, as even I have had out my own spare wheel at least a couple of times in the 32 years I have owned my '84 Guards Red car. And never even gave a thought to positioning it EXACTLY in the same way when putting it back in after cleaning out the wheel well.

The early cars have the jute backed carpet which wouldn't show tire marks, so no big deal anyway but to think that some German worker in an auto assembly plant put this wheel, the jack handle, and the collar and nut in the car and it has never moved in 30 plus years somewhat amazes me. Kind of the same thing with those loose washers and fasteners under the carpet.

Dinosaur droppings

Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Absolutely stunning in every regard!! The pictures of these usually worn or weathered items are amazing. What is that spray bottle?

Is the yellow colored square the container that houses the drop cloth?

The manila envelope contained the bill of sale and an original duplicate of the original title which was photocopied and preserved when it was transferred from Utah to Montana.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Just look at all those goodies What are the two black items in front of the tool roll? This car and all it's accoutrements are just outstanding, I sure would hate to compete against it

Last edited by jhowell371; 06-07-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Joe, to the left are the two headlight covers for the Porsche bra. Which was carried when wet out or while stored, in the black vinyl bag to the right which has the title, bill of sale, and invoices on it.

The two items directly in front of the tool roll are the left and right mirror bras. They look unused as well except for a couple of bug splats on them. The fuzzy backing is as clean as your morning underwear before they go on your bottom.....

.....and Joe it would be an honor to show my car with yours on any field of 'dreams'.

Will you be at Jay Peak VT in a couple of weeks for Porsche Parade ? I regrettably will not make it due to family conflicts and a local event I plan to attend in Mpls.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:22 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

here we go:

the "Every picture tells a story" image which completes and authenticates the very existence of this car.........( I almost get a little verklemft and wobbly in the knees )

And this is how it reads or decodes out :

-C02- Catalytic converter, North America
-I82- Sport Touring Package (this package is a marketing tool used by Porsche and bundled certain other coded options together, similar to how an H52 group/pkg. as seen on my '84 - 944 was bundled )
It included:
- 258- Heated mirrors
- 348- Forged Alloys in Grand Prix White
- 409- Sport Seats left and right in leather
- 425- Rear hatch window wiper
- 451- Prepared for radio- Sport Group
- 454- Automatic Speed Control ( cruise )
- 455- Wheel locks
- 474- Sport Shock Absorbers
- 602- High mounted third brake light
- 974- Partial leather seating surface (front)

In addition to the following codes:
-158 - Monterey Blaupunkt SQR
-404 - Front and Rear Stabilizer bars
-431 - Leather 4 spoke sport steering wheel / 363 mm
-533 - Alarm/Security system with lock on rear fender
-650 - Power tilt Sunroof
-946 - Partial leather seating - front

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-08-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944