Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 01:13 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was told by someone who has close familiarity with 944s, that he believed he read somewhere that this Sport Touring pkg. also included a larger fuel tank with several more gallons capacity. He also believed they all came with code 220 denoting LSD.
He said he thought they came with headlight washers and heated nozzle jets for the squirters, both on the glass and the headlights, yet this car does not have nozzles on the bumper like several of my other cars. Don't know about the heated jets either, as I haven't looked.

He said there were few to none of these built; I believe it. First I have ever seen in 32 years of Porsche ownership and hundreds of 944s looked at.

Nothing in the first owner's ( Ben P. ) paperwork from Provo, Utah indicate any of those options except the heated nozzles for the windshield squirter, and I think all 944s got them this year according to the invoice description.

Gonna have to get the car up in the air and check for the LSD indicator on the transaxle. I did not notice any familiar 'ringing sound' at speed that seems so familiar in my LSD cars. I also know I drove nearly 375 miles on the first tank of fuel.... this at speeds of 85-95 +, so there may be some truth in the larger tank deal as well. I for the life of me do NOT know how a bigger tank could have been fitted.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-10-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Well Joe, you want to see more paperwork.
O.K.

besides the part number, what does all this stuff mean on the bottom of the carpet pad in the hatch ?

While you're pondering that, I will photo some of the invoices I got with the car ...............

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-09-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:57 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

that's just a sampling in the sheath of paperwork ...... I also have photocopies of the original titles from each state ( Utah and Montana ) when the ownership transferred , but I'm not going to put those up in case of someone trolling here for nefarious purposes.

Suffice it to say the bills of sale were 'interesting' and the two previous owners in Provo and Billings will be protected from invasion of privacy.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:08 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Notice how very different the Series One Sport Seats in my '82 built - 944 are from those which came along just 4 years later ~

Old 06-09-2016, 02:16 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

And compare those sport seats to the 'standard leather' seats which are shown here in my two '84 cars. The Ruby one ( top photo ) is the sunroof delete/ delete special, and the Guards Red car is an M456.

Both are Grey Beige in color

-the last photo shows what happens when you don't take care of them ( 928 for sale in Florida, with very rare factory Berber Tweed Sport Seats )
Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Don, I am completely awestruck by this fantastic 944! It has to be one of the cleanest and best looking 944's that I have ever had the pleasure of gazing my eyes upon. The options on the car are simply some of the absolute best available and they make the car even more enjoyable than it already is.

What I'm curious about is the history and backstory on this 944. How did you find the car and did you know the original owner and how long have you owned the car? The absolute purity of the car absolutely captivates me, I have to be honest. Alpine White over burgundy leather sport seats with Grand Prix White painted Fuchs with painted crest center caps and a crisp Blaupunkt stereo... What could be a better experience in a 944?

Would love to see the Monroney sticker as well as all of the original extras that the car came with. I.e. tool kit, compressor, triangle, gloves, etc. Thank you for sharing pictures and stories of such a fantastic 944!
Dave,

I bought the car last winter, so did not have opportunity to drive it because of the road salt and snow, ice, etc. This car has never seen those things and is not going to under my stewardship. :-(

I did not know the original owner ( but I am trying to track him down as well as getting to know how he came to either order this car or WHY it was ordered this way to the dealership ). I also only had previous phone contact with the owner I bought it from. I had heard of his business and may have even used some of his appraisal services in the past, but need to ascertain it by going thru some files on my other cars.
I will post some photos of that triangle, the drop cloth (which was just loose/ folded neatly) and the compressor when I get them done. I forgot to do that the other day, and today I am miles away from it and traveling to a collectors convention......
( yes, I have it 'bad'. And I need to voice in a pre-emptive rebuttal, about a logo I saw recently on a t-shirt:

"It's Not Hoarding if your Crap is cool")

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-09-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

beauty comes in many forms; it just takes a trained eye to understand or appreciate it.
Sometimes natural, sometimes made by man
Old 06-09-2016, 02:38 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Notice the date code embossed in the jack ? Production of this item was apparently in the second week of '86, (if the coding follows that of alloy wheel production and enumeration)

this is the kind of stuff that gets me wondering ..... Why ? And did it do any good ? I am assuming it's paint and fabric protectant and came at a significant cost; no mention of it anywhere on the paperwork.
Any one out there have any experience with this ?
Old 06-09-2016, 06:25 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Putting it's past life behind~

Tried to go up BearTooth Pass and was told there was 7 feet of snow by the summit. Road grit and charcoal dust on the white snow surfaces to try and make the snow melt off by increasing heat index.
Well, that's all I needed to know and I headed back down the highway where the roads were cleared and no issues with highway grunge to deal with.

We ran up there the last two years with different Porsches, and man did they come down the hill filthy. Third weekend in August and it was snowing at the summit.
I have a daily driver Zermatt car I call ol' Scruffy with sport seats; an M456 car. It has a somewhat marginal paint job, perhaps a good 10 footer that is perfect for this kind of deal. No need to worry if it takes a few rocks or gets some crud under the fenders and caked around the floor. Ol' Scruffy can get in on the rockslides and flotsam thrown up by others.

This little jewel will get the tender treatment. Not many come down the pike wearing a suit of clothes like this

( note the Rockies on the horizon over top of car and the top floor parking ramp barrier.... BEARTOOTH )

This was the ascent two summers ago, with the pass looming over our shoulders -

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 06-10-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:59 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Don- the annual Nordstern all Porsche show is coming up June 26th. Which one of these beautiful 944's are you going to bring?
Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

A low mileage beauty. Keep the sun off of it........#1 enemy to the interior, rubber trim and paint.

I purchased my 86 n/a new in March 1986 in Mobile Alabama......Joe Coker Imports........had only 25 miles. I special ordered it with only metallic paint and cruise control options. Took 5 months from order to delivery.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
Don- the annual Nordstern all Porsche show is coming up June 26th. Which one of these beautiful 944's are you going to bring?
I am actually planning to bring my '88 Carrera in Venetian Blue. I also want to bring it over to one of the trusted shops after the show and get an inspection of the valve train done and an oil change at the same time. One of the CV joints on the right is starting to make a bit of noise ( hum that comes and goes ) so want them to shoot in a bit of lube with a needlepoint while it's in the air draining.....

Will you be there ? This is always a GREAT show in Roseville Park & I try to get there every year. I may have this white car detailed out by the time the show at Afton Alps comes up a month later. Maybe
Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

The Carrera I bought from a very trusted friend when he bought a GT3. It's a black interior, low mileage, 900 code Tourist Delivery 911. The first owner picked it up at Stuttgart...
Old 06-10-2016, 01:39 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I agree DLarsen !
Look at what your thoughts about sun and U/V exposure have done for your own.

WOW, what an incredibly beautiful soul mate to my '86. That odometer reading really puts things in perspective ! ! !

How do you like the Yokohama ADVANS ?

THANKS for showing us your gorgeous 944 ~
Old 06-10-2016, 04:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

traveling in good company, with GREAT cars, making spectacular memories

Yellowstone, BearTooth, Big Horn, Cody, and Custer Battlefields @ Hardin - 2014

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944