Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:50 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

MGJ just fired up the red one 10 minutes ago after replacing the belts. It's always a relief when they start I finished it on Friday but had to wait a few days for the local Interstate dealer to get my battery. Next up is a fluids change. I have been cleaning nooks and crannies while up it's in the air and took pictures along the way to document conditions for the future. The S2 and life are both as sweet as ever. Judy and I haven't made any travel plans but our 35th anniversary is coming up We are wondering how well our new kitty "Blackie" would travel in a motorhome. Meeting would indeed be a pleasure.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

So Mr Howell....

how are you doing travelling the GREAT country of the US of A ?

Getting to any track events along the way ?

If you find yourselves near to Duluth, MN the end of September, come on with in the motorhome for our local PCA group: Nord Stern's Annual Fall Color Tour.

Gonna be gone for 5 days this year along the shores of Lake Superior. And, am going to bring the Guards Red '84, as it's turn is next for the little trek up the wooded highways along the shore.

Anyone else want to come ? It's an unbelievably good group of folks. Good food, great scenery on black top roads, perfect accommodations overlooking the big lake they call Gitchee Gummee.

And beautiful Porsches

send me a message if you want more info and directions on registration

PS
More photos to appear here soon on the white '86.
Man, I LOVE this car ~
Old 10-15-2017, 01:04 AM
walks
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Reenlist member.
Longtime British sports car fan (Although it's been years since I owned one.)
Brand new Porsche owner - 1983 944 (one-owner car).
I just saw this thread (as I work my way through the forum, finding so much coolness, and having so many questions answered).
Wanted to ket you know, MGJ, that I LIVE in Billings, and it was the weirdest feeling to see "home" in a random thread on rennlist.
I LOVE your car, and I can't wait to share mine with the forum (although I'm certain it suffers next to yours!)
Thanks for all of the help/support you provide here.
Russell
Old 10-17-2017, 12:24 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Russell

I appreciate your good words. You live in a GREAT part of the world and I don't get back there often enough to enjoy it.

Did you ever see this car around ? It came from the n.e. part of town, a few miles east of the airport.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:42 PM
walks
Track Day

Thanks! Feel lucky - It's a fantastic place to raise children, and if the weather means that I can't enjoy my car for a few months every year, the trade off is worth it.
I live in Billings Heights, which is the area you're referring to, but I don't remember seeing the car - Although, to be honest, until a few months ago, I only had eyes for Ferraris and Triumphs...
Old 12-17-2017, 02:46 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

As I enter in the Holiday season, I am thankful to have gotten it safely stowed, battery fully charged, and tires inflated to about 10 lbs more than I normally run on the street. It waits till Spring when dry roads and great weather beckon for a run.

This has been a good year for car shows, drives, and trying to delve more into the history of this joyful sports car. It has been somewhat difficult to determine contact with that first owner; so many closed doors.

It would really be great if suddenly he came on board here and began reading about 944s again, or stumbled on this link and saw photos of his car, but that is unlikely......

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !
I hope you all get what you need or want for your Porsche.
And,
Safe Travels
Old 12-17-2017, 05:39 PM
OhioMatt
Intermediate

Wow. What a stunningly original car!!!
Old 12-18-2017, 01:21 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the compliments guys.....

Great to hear of your experience in Billings 'walks'. I hope we cross paths some day in your GREAT part of the world.

And OhioMatt:
I much appreciate the comment.
ALL the Best to you all in your endeavors; your care and keeping of your Porsches.
Have a Great and Happy Holiday Season folks.

( More photos and more stories to come with this 'lovely joy' I feel so privileged to have stumbled upon.
And to any previous owner... Ben or William, if you find yourself reading this forum:
THANK YOU for preserving this wonderful car thru the nearly 30 years you owned it; before I got to enjoy the fruits of your passion. It is because of your care it is what it is today. )

And to Bill M. ( owner of CTK's Sapphire jewel )
See you @ Amelia this spring ~
Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I thought I had finally made contact with the family of the original owner for this 944, but the thread leading to him ran dry. Wrong first name.

BUT,
(and this is a GREAT find !)

A friend of mine in our local PCA region had a pair of Color matched- FUCHS- 16 inch wheels in perfect, unblemished condition he wished to sell. I drove over to his home in Rapid City, SD and picked them up the first weekend in December. He is an active buyer and seller of Porsches, with a special love for 911s and 944s. Also an active track enthusiast. He has an Alpine white 911 SC and a Chiffon white 911...... plus a new arrival to his garage. A VERY early 944 in Euro spec trim wearing BBS mesh wheels that he found in the hill country for sale near his home. The seller needed it gone. Fun to see another early car get saved ! Way to go Mike ~~~

I will post photos of the color matched 16s when I get them washed up with a bit of Vaseline rubbed into the rim edge. They are also white. AND, date coded '86 ~ ( a perfect second set addition to this car ). The fellow he bought the donor car from had just put on a brand new set of fresh rubber. Yokohamas.

ALL Good !
Old 04-26-2018, 11:37 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Pictures of the rims are forthcoming,

BUT,

Does anyone have a REAR matching pair of 16 in FUCHS for an '86, with the white centers and caps, which would be an original match to these fronts I just got ?
8 inch wide by 16 inch diameter in Alpine White centers

Thanks !
Private message me here if you have.

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 01-03-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

It has been a while since posting, but I spent much of the spring, summer, and fall diligently prepping this car for next year's Concours at Porsche Parade in Boca Raton, FL.

It went into winter storage cleaned and ready to show. Now just to get it those 2100 miles without a mis-step
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats, MGJ. Don't think I'll make it to the opposite corner of the USA for Parade, but I wish you the best of luck. Be sure you clean off any grease on door hinge circlips. Ask me how I know. Bill
Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AlfaGTA
Congrats, MGJ. Don't think I'll make it to the opposite corner of the USA for Parade, but I wish you the best of luck. Be sure you clean off any grease on door hinge circlips. Ask me how I know. Bill
Thanks Bill. Wish you could make it; you could show me a few pointers on how the pros do it ...

( taken before final prep and wax after a short drive .... it's much cleaner now, and stowed in it's 'bag' )
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A couple problem areas to address yet ~

How does one effectively remove all the white wax residue on that tail light housing a previous owner got on it ?
Old 01-03-2019, 01:49 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

I am not going to spend any more time 'de-linting' and cleaning here till it's in Florida

Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944