Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944

Old 07-12-2016, 07:48 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

original timing sticker

I provided these photos to another forum thread currently running, to help with the remanufacture and subsequent availability for us. I believe these have been discontinued for some time, and often are missing on our cars

the Blaupunkt stereo. Monterey SQR23

Old 07-13-2016, 01:38 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Rear seat up close. Showing also as if it has never been sat in

I find it odd on a high option car as this there was not a split backrest as in my '88 Jubilee/Celebration - 944. Does anyone know if this option came about in the later years of the second series OR was it available in all Series 2 cars ?

Show us what you have if there is a split rear back and the resulting split back privacy cover if so equipped in your 944 ......
Old 07-13-2016, 11:10 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Does anyone know if this option came about in the later years of the second series
As far as I know, split rear seats were introduced for MY'87 or '88. I don't think they were not available prior to that.

Enjoying your pictures.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 07-25-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:14 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for that info.
Didn't know that about the split seat back intro date.

I have been gone for 6 days to the Vintage Historic Races @ Elkhart Lake where a phenomenal weekend was enjoyed by all. I will post some of those images shortly as well.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:04 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Pulling into the main gate at Road America

the brilliant work of the ACCUMOTO guys from Madison, WI

951 Club Sport in correct period colors of the day...... Dave Roberts and crew

the beautiful new Ferrari and 918 lurking in Weather Tech Racing paddock of Dave and Cooper MacNeil

Old 07-19-2016, 11:24 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Early Triumph TR/6 in the family campgrounds

944 for the weekend; ( in memory of my friend Phil whose scattered ashes were a part of the weekend's activities ) I met him at the track at a high-speed D/E in 1985 @ BIR, driving a Stone Grey Metallic 944 ; he walked up to me as I took off my helmet, and me getting out of this very car. He took his final ride in it as we scattered his ashes at speed in this same Porsche ~

the MacNeil /WEATHERTECH Porsches in Cooper and Dave's paddock

Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Alloy body Jaguar V-12
There is only one: this recreation. The original was destroyed and lost to history ~

Early 911S with unique paint and interior.
Simply gorgeous

Old 07-20-2016, 12:19 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So that's what I have been up to the past week......

if you want more photos, I took around 1500. I will post more if requested, but since this about a certain Alpine White 944, back to the matter at hand.
Tomorrow I head over to the car and do some more detailing. There is another track weekend coming up in a few days and won't get much done then. And, the big event for showing this little gem off on it's inaugural effort is only a week and a half away.

timing feature works !
Old 07-20-2016, 12:36 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh Lordy, how I love the rivets on that Jag Goes back to my airplane days I guess. Scattering your friend Phil's ashes at speed from your Porsche was a fitting end for man who loved racing.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Turn 5
a hard left at the bottom of a hill ....

the original 'Hard Left', now a part of the downtown local scene in Elkhart Lake. This one dates back to 1951-'52 when the Last Open Road first opened. Miss this during the original race course configuration and there are buildings and a lake you run off into

today's Turn 5 - 'Hard Left'.

Rest well brother Phil
Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Oh Lordy, how I love the rivets on that Jag Goes back to my airplane days I guess. Scattering your friend Phil's ashes at speed from your Porsche was a fitting end for man who loved racing.
Thanks Joe.....
I felt honored to be a part of it all. Phil was the type of guy who would give you a drive around the track in his 944 or Cayman S and have you bent over in the footwell.
Either about to die from laughter ( HOW did he maneuver that corner without an 'off' and have so much exit speed at the apex-out ? )

OR:

about ready to lose your lunch on the carpet, because you did not believe it possible to hang that close to the wall or bridge and not rub the entire side off. Downhill braking and off camber exit strategy was a forte'. He was an excellent driver's instructor for several clubs, because of a calm, cool demeanor with an intuitive answer for what one may be doing wrong. I loved the way he could handle a smoldering situation with a driver not willing to leave his ego at the gate. And he wasn't afraid to send someone off track and home if the guy didn't 'get it'. Mastering the car's balance was his goal for everyone and if you didn't leave the track a safer driver because of his time with you, it wasn't his fault but that of an insolent and unwilling student.

We had nearly 30 years of friendship with Porsches and each other before he passed. God rest the soul of a good man....

his grieving widow who arranged the ' laying to rest at speed ' pensively lost in thought over going out on the track with his ashes.......

Touring sticker needed for the next 10-12 laps on Sunday. I had more than a few moments of not keeping my vision clear; just too many rain clouds on the horizon
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

spent the weekend at BIR for the PCA CLUB Race, so didn't get much done on the Alpine White '86. It was a GREAT weekend hanging with friends made over the years ~

Spent some quality time with friend Jim ( who sold me his spectacular, low mileage '89- 951 after several decades of careful, devoted ownership ) and his '87 - 951; it is a very fast car and Jim a VERY good driver. He's here on the board and a frequent poster, often giving needed advice freely. A great guy ......
Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 AM
Datkinsj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MrGJ, here is the dealer that my 944 was delivered to along with the Tourist paperwork in Jan of '84
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for sharing Datkins !

Do you show anything in your bundle of paperwork which would show IF and WHEN or WHERE the 666 code was 'taken care' of when the car came into our country ?

I wonder what Porsche did for the trip over ? Or if once a car received the deleted undercoating and spray protection, wax coating for the delivery into Europe, they did anything for protection of the chassis for the ship ride over ?

Does anyone have any documentation of this ?

I defer to my '88 Carrera which was also a 900 code delivery to be picked up in Stuttgart. It has the 900 listed but no 666 for undercoat delete. I see waxy residue in and around crevices, so it did get sprayed on...... but I believe it was transported by plane also as many of these cars were back in the late '80s and early '90s, thus negating the need for the coatings.

(Production was low during these years and Porsche was flying a good many cars, especially 911s and 928s into port at the West Coast entries and into Charleston, SC on the east. At the airport in Charleston, Porsche had a huge facility for prepping the cars; last time I saw it, the paint was very faded and peeling and the building was vacated. One could see it hiding back in the trees and kudzu as one left the airport off to the right of the highway).
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

A few more photos of 'before' I cleaned the areas shown.

I am amazed every time I unturn another stone or advance another page, as I clean and preserve it for the future. It has looked like this for last 30 years of careful ownership and I so hope when I reach my 70s and 80s and it has it's 60th birthday, that it will look the same for the next owner.........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Documenting a 28,000 mile "Touring Package" '86-944