Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a 944, should I fix it or part it out

Old 06-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 944, should I fix it or part it out

I started a thread before when I was looking at this 944 a 924 and a 928, that thread got out of hand because it turned into a purist vs V8 swap guys.
Here is my issue, after I brought the car home and cleaned it up a little aside from the paint and a little dent in the back the body is in decent shape. The interior is decent with some broken plastics here and there, cracked dash, factory steering wheel was swapped for a GT grant steering whell and almost mint looking sport seats and rear seats. The car also has some very desireble options like fuchs 15" wheels, and the m456 sport suspension with front and rear swaybars. Mechanichal wise transmission shifts smooth and engine runs strong but its in need of a new water pump, so it will need water pump and timing belt replaced along with seals and rollers since I have to get in there anyway.

Here is where my issues start and I dont know if it will be worth it restoring this car:
The car is currently painted black, the original color was saphire metallic. I really like tge black so I wwas just thinking about repainting it black until I kept inspecting under the hood and found some scratches that you can see red paint, I think most of the front end came from a red car suggesting the car was in a front end collission sometime in its lifetime but the tittle is clear and not salvaged. None of this would raise too much concern since its a old car and its expected to be in it fare share of fender benders and such. Now for my biggest concern, I noticed some silicone or something similar on both strut towers so I peeled it bach some on the passenger side and under it I found some kind of copper welding and that is whay I not sure if the car would safe to fix or should I just forget about it part ot out and try to find a better one. I attached some pictures of the car and the problem areas Im talking about. Also the vin number under the hood and the one on the windshield all the numbers are the same and in the same order but some of the letters are different, is this normal?

Old 06-04-2016, 09:28 PM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks more like brazing type of 'weld'. What's it look under the fender, under that spot? Overall, you were looking for a project, right?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by grenadiers
Looks more like brazing type of 'weld'. What's it look under the fender, under that spot? Overall, you were looking for a project, right?
I have not looked under that spot yet, I will look tomorrow. And yes I wanted a project and I really dont care about all the other issues as those can be fixed but if this weld turns out to be some king of strutural issue I dont think the car would be safe specially if I carry out my plans and do an engine swap
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Part it out. It's just not worth the aggravation.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Does it run? Apparently so..you got it home..So how did it run? Apparently this is an early car from looking at the heater inlet and the strut mounts. Keep it and drive it ...I wouldn't recommend a v-8 swap...if you want a car that you can drive and enjoy, this might be worth it..If you want a hot rod car, get a Cobra kit and put the v-8 in it. Factory Five racing has some nice ones. That way you can get 8 cylinder rated brakes, transmissions, and rear ends that you won't have to juke with all the time. But it appears that you have a nice driver for about 500.00 more dollars invested, or less, perhaps. Enjoy it, and use it for a grocery getter..Buff up the paint a little and keep the investment low...if it has a serious break, then part it out. My .02 cents...
Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Old body repair done by brazing. I wouldn't worry about it. Body shop friend of mine in 1981 made one 924 out of two totals, one wrecked in the front, one in the back. Clipped them at the windshield posts and the rear of of the doors. I drove it and it seemed fine. I ran across it a couple of years ago in a boneyard, it never broke in half
Old 06-05-2016, 02:20 AM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure what you paid, or your budget, or your current plans.... but if this runs and will pass a safety inspection with minimal cost/repairs, then you should just drive it and enjoy it. Don't put any real money into it.

Probably a good car to learn how to fix the 944.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:23 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhowell371
Old body repair done by brazing. I wouldn't worry about it. Body shop friend of mine in 1981 made one 924 out of two totals, one wrecked in the front, one in the back. Clipped them at the windshield posts and the rear of of the doors. I drove it and it seemed fine. I ran across it a couple of years ago in a boneyard, it never broke in half
Do you think it was in a front end collision and they used the front of another 924 and welded it to the rest of the car?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:26 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Does it run? Apparently so..you got it home..So how did it run? Apparently this is an early car from looking at the heater inlet and the strut mounts. Keep it and drive it ...I wouldn't recommend a v-8 swap...if you want a car that you can drive and enjoy, this might be worth it..If you want a hot rod car, get a Cobra kit and put the v-8 in it. Factory Five racing has some nice ones. That way you can get 8 cylinder rated brakes, transmissions, and rear ends that you won't have to juke with all the time. But it appears that you have a nice driver for about 500.00 more dollars invested, or less, perhaps. Enjoy it, and use it for a grocery getter..Buff up the paint a little and keep the investment low...if it has a serious break, then part it out. My .02 cents...
Yes it runs good, just needs the water pump and a good tuneup. It even passed california smog inspectio before the water pump went out on the previous owner and he parked it for almost a year before I bought it. I might just fix it up and use it as a gricery getter maybe get a good paintjob later on
Old 06-05-2016, 02:29 AM
Jimmyac28
Advanced

Originally Posted by 944TurboYYC
Not sure what you paid, or your budget, or your current plans.... but if this runs and will pass a safety inspection with minimal cost/repairs, then you should just drive it and enjoy it. Don't put any real money into it.

Probably a good car to learn how to fix the 944.
Well I only paid $600 for it and just the wheels are worth almost twice that. Thats why I got it because I can fix the water pump and drive it. If it dies on me I can always sell the wheels and get my money back
Old 06-05-2016, 03:08 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

How much for the seats?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:38 AM
Alaska Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Have you tried doing a VIN search on the numbers? That might tell you what is going on with the different numbers.

Mike
Old 06-05-2016, 08:06 AM
grenadiers
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The number on the firewall is the Porsche Chassis Production Number. The number on the windshield is the Market Chassis Serial Number.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:22 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I hope I didn't miss this but have you run a Carfax or similar history-finding service on the car? That should answer any question about its past.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:48 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmyac28
Also the vin number under the hood and the one on the windshield all the numbers are the same and in the same order but some of the letters are different, is this normal?
Normal...yes, all US chassis VINs have the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 9th digits replaced with a "Z".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 944, should I fix it or part it out