Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eric's 1987 944S Rebuild Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks awesome. Can't wait for the next update where it roars to life!
Old 11-29-2016, 03:42 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drgon
1. ultrasonic clean the fuel strainer.
At this point [30+ years, 150k+ miles], probably not worth the [potential] result to your $5k+ investment. Replace it, and the associated gasket, with new.

Peace of mind for another 30 years...priceless.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:49 PM
drgon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
At this point [30+ years, 150k+ miles], probably not worth the [potential] result to your $5k+ investment. Replace it, and the associated gasket, with new.

Peace of mind for another 30 years...priceless.
Fair enough. ~$90 for straight up replacement of both items. Make that 5.09k investment
Old 12-01-2016, 04:45 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drgon
Fair enough.
When you get around to pulling that strainer, would not surprise me if it looked like swiss cheese. Would hate to send bits of it, and tank sediment, through the pump and clog the filter.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
drgon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
When you get around to pulling that strainer, would not surprise me if it looked like swiss cheese. Would hate to send bits of it, and tank sediment, through the pump and clog the filter.
It actually wasn't as bad off as you'd have imagined. It was discolored, but no build up of any kind. The old gas was a bit orange, but no sludge. I replaced the filter, pump and strainer anyway because, what the hell.

Quick update. She lives. Had a devil of a time figuring out oil pressure (there was none). With no fuel or spark plugs installed, just turning over, there was no pressure. Two weekends later, here's how we fixed it.

1. Remove oil filter.
2. Add appropriate amount of oil to crank case. Keep in mind, if doing a ground up build, you need a little more to eventually fill the oil filter, plus you'll lose some with this process.
3. Take your air compressor and using a spray nozzle, remove the dipstick and crank the compressor up to around 80-100psi.
4. Crank over the car (less spark plugs and oil filter).
5. Oil should finally be forced up into the galleys and start pumping out of the oil filter main line.
6. Reinstall filter, continue cranking without spark/fuel until oil pressure rises and filter fills.
7. Button up everything.

Also had a electrical snapping noise that I thought was a lifter at first. Turns out it was a compromised spark plug cable arcing to the cam tower. I only figured this out when I happened to catch it in a video I took of my dad backing the car out of the garage for the first time. Replaced those with some cables from Paragon. That's fixed now as well.

Headlights are re-assembled and back in. Basically the car is just a couple weekends from being road worthy. Last major thing is to repaint the rocker panel between the lights and the hood because of rock chips and the giant burn spot. By the way, aligning headlights with various body panels is a serious pain in the butt.

The major thing to fix this weekend is electrical gremlins. Once that's finished, I can finish the last of the interior reinstall. Basically got seats left to do and deep clean. Blinkers only work on one side (right). Got a new relay/bulbs coming from Paragon. Hopefully the weather is nice and dad can shoot the hood and rocker panel.

Should have a proper video up this weekend sometime.

Quick Reply: Eric's 1987 944S Rebuild Project